The CTX vs Deus vs Whites thread

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goldwright said:
Narrawa said:
Ok well that puts an end to my interest in the Dues....which was only very small, but never the less, there was something there.

Thx to those who spoke about it.

Not trying to talk anyone out of the Deus, it is a great machine which goes punch for punch with the CTX and its Notch ground balance is something that leaves the CTX for dead in hot ground or when your park has some contaminated fill on top.

I never did like the XP's But over and over they proved me wrong, I think that if the Battery is not to some ones liking I know the Goldmaxx Power will impress a lot of people and they run at 18khz,

All good gents, no one has talked me into or out of the Dues, my interest was only very small to start with.

Like most of you, there comes a time you start looking for the WOW factor in a detector....the Dues nor the 3030 has that for me due to the v3i covering most if not all their capabilities.

Well come on now...someone had to toss a pitch in for the Whites, or the thread would have been incomplete.. :lol:

That WOW Factor costs me big bucks But I always end up where I Started, Since I started using the MXT's they are one machine that I have always Owned,, I can Pick 5 Detectors that will cover everything I want to do from Relics to Gold

GMT for Gold and fine Gold
MXT for Coins Relics and Gold
TDI SL for Relics and Gold
SDC for small Gold In Hot Ground
GPX 5000 for Big Deep Nuggets,

I think that would Cover everything I want to do with a Good Range of machines that are All the Best of their Classes, And all But One of them are well Proven,

john

goldwright said:
Goldpick said:
The coil does always stay on, but only in standby mode when not in use. It should last for several days, if not much longer without requiring a charge.

Just one of the cons of the Deus we found out about the hard way. Sitting for four days in the back of the ute fully charged only gave 2 detecting hours before going flat. Something to consider I would think.

Something sounds amiss there, the coil led shouldn't drain 13 hours worth of charge in four days if left in standby mode. Some owners have reported coil batteries not holding charge, and the suggested remedy was to fully discharge, then recharge to reset the battery memory, which sorted the issue. The latest 3.2 update also has a fix for a bug that shows the coils only being partly charged on the control box, when in fact they were actually fully charged. Might be worth a try if you haven't already done so. :)

rocketaroo said:
This battle seems to be played out in many threads. Might be a good idea, to discuss, share our experiences, and opinions in the one place :cool:

My 2/example why the Deus is better:
Say, I have a mate wanting to upgrade from an atpro. He is swaying towards the ctx. I reckon he should go dues, his needs are turf, coin, relic, beach, but not wading in surf. Its not uncommon for him to detect for 6hrs plus in a session. He also wants to travel to europe. I reckon the deus will do the job best, it weighs very little, performs just as well, or better, much faster recovery speed (he likes to swing fast), costs less, and will foldup really compact for traveling. Might add, that the deus isnt hard to make work in water. I added whites, because some people say they offer a detector on par.

Lets discuss it all here :)

the deus is better and ill state a few points why .

with version 3.2 the deus is pretty stable on beaches so thats not really a problem.

1 .ok the the weight of the ctx will be a huge problem for him if he likes going on long hunts .i found the weight almost unbearable and my arm would hurt after a hr of detecting with the ctx .with the deus its so light you can swing it all day .

2. the ctx has incredibly slow recovery speed like in the manual it says 4 second sweeps each way and this on top of the weight is what causes the problem .i would go over heaps of parks with the ctx and only find a few coins and in the back of my mind something didnt feel right .one day i went out with my mate and told him to do this park i did 3 times .well put it this way he walked out of the park with $52 in $1 and $2 coins .

i was shocked and what i realised is unless i swung the ctx incredibly slow it wouldnt see the coins he was seeing and i tried every setting there was but the recovery speed was the problem it would literally miss coins he was seeing as a came behind him and thats when i knew the ctx wasnt what it was cracked up to be .

3. the argument amoungst ctx users is the ctx is so accurate on id numbers WRONG!. once you get past 6inches the numbers are rediculas they jump all over the place and are not stable in the slightest but this happens to all detectors .but ctx users cant use this argument of stable numbers because that is definatly wrong .

4.deus is so sensitive to jewellry and gold .i dont know why but it just is .i never found any jewellry after a yr with my ctx but with the deus i ran the gm power program i was picking up silver all over the place and some of the jewellry was so tiny i couldnt believe it .

5.ctx 3030 is not waterproof one design flaw minelab made was putting a rubber seal on the back of the machine and the problem with this is if you take it to the beach underwater then need to take the battery cover off to recharge it that ctx is no longer sealed and unless you have a water pressure tester equiptment (that is worth 100s of dollars) when you put the battery pack back on you cant guarantee a proper seal which is why so many ctxs go back to minelab with water in the battery compartment .this was a major design flaw .

6.ctx would null out over iron and not see the good target over the bad this has been shown in many videos on youtube and would explain also why i missed so many good targets .i mean with the deus i have made almost $1000 in coins in the last 6 months and i feel this is because of its super fast recovery speed .

7.the deus is so customizable and you can make your own cool programs pretty dam easy .i dont feel like i have to be a rocket scientist to use the dam thing its just a real user friendly metal detector .

8.depth the deus will get 10-12 inches the minelab maybe a bit more but when does anyone wanna dig down deeper than 12inches .

9.deus is $1800 the ctx is $2700

10.i was just so dissapointed with the ctx and i feel the only people defending the machine are people who havent used the deus or are loyal customers who dont wanna admit that truth .

And the truth is the deus beats the ctx in almost every way .

battery power lasts forever even when in standby mode

recovery speed (run over 10 targets really fast in trash and you will see everyone of them)the ctx cannot do this .

user friendly

notch discrimination is incredible for taking out the trash

weight

portablilty

better for finding small jewellry and gold

easy to swing all day

customizable programs

free updates

just a dam good machine .i know it dosnt look the goods it dosnt look mean and rugged like the ctx but when you use it .it shows you the truth and will show you the way to the targets this machine is in a league of its own and i cant see many machines beating it on the market .

i know this must seem very biased towards deus but i was the guy arguing with pomies and people from europe saying (the ctx is the best it cant be beat) then i watched a few videos on youtube i was curious and decided to bite the bullet well lets just say that day i realised how powerful the deus was and i sold my ctx and never looked back .

i will stand by xp detectors till the end of time because thier customer service and passion for detectors and making the customer happy is second to none .

i used both detectors and i seen the truth .hope your friend does to :).

i challenge anyone here to put your ctx up against my deus and we will hunt parks and the beach together and i guerantee you i will blow you out of the water thats how confident i am that the deus recovery will beat any ctx with any program setup .because the ctx uses fbs technology so it is constantly masking good targets in iron .i know this because the ctx was all i used for almost 2 yrs .

im not a deus salesman but i guarantee you if someone has a ctx and i have a deus and we hunt some areas i will always come out on top because the deus recovery speed cannot be beat .

Narrawa said:
Id like to see a video of a Deus with the following criteria met.

Items needed.
1. A 3-4" long rusty nail found in the ozy gold fields.
2. 1 copper coin, (half penny in size)
3. A silver coin, ( 10c in size )

Air test.
Now, turn detector an and factory preset it, select one of its coin programs.
Place either coin (one at a time) under the nail 1" below in any combination you can..(this will require using two hands)vertical, horizontal, and any and everywhere in between keeping the coin aprox 1" under the nail or just to the side at all times, but below the nail while passing it under the coil.
You may change the orientation of the nail to the coil while passing it and the coin under the coil with the coin at the required distance from the nail only.

You are required to not cut the footage, this will take two people to complete. That is...one shoot showing the requirements above.

For those of you who have one of these detectors, you may answer the question prematurely...

Q. will the nail, mask the coin.?

there is heaps of videos showing the ctx nulling out and not even seeing targets in iron and then the deus picks the target right out of the ground .what you have to remember is the dues will work in the gold fields but it wont penetrate very deep because it is vlf but it does a better job than the ctx in the gold fields thats for sure the ctx has a problem even seeing small gold targets .

Ridge Runner said:
rocketaroo said:
This battle seems to be played out in many threads. Might be a good idea, to discuss, share our experiences, and opinions in the one place :cool:

My 2/example why the Deus is better:
Say, I have a mate wanting to upgrade from an atpro. He is swaying towards the ctx. I reckon he should go dues, his needs are turf, coin, relic, beach, but not wading in surf. Its not uncommon for him to detect for 6hrs plus in a session. He also wants to travel to europe. I reckon the deus will do the job best, it weighs very little, performs just as well, or better, much faster recovery speed (he likes to swing fast), costs less, and will foldup really compact for traveling. Might add, that the deus isnt hard to make work in water. I added whites, because some people say they offer a detector on par.

Lets discuss it all here :)

I tried to post here but an update stole my post, LOL

Being an Aussie I was Totally Minelab minded and nothing ever came close until one day A mate made my machines look stupid and me embarrassed, with my 3 favourite machines and a bunch of ML and Coiltek Coils, As for XP machines I was always against them for political reasons which was a bit unfair on my behalf really, But the truth is XP machines will beat almost any Machine out there in Junk filled sites, So much so people were selling their Explorers for silly money to buy the XP Goldmaxx Power, It got that bad at one point I hated the Name XP, People where having hunted out sites come Alive again after 40-50 years of being detected,

BBS and FBS machines are Very slow, it is not so much the Recovery that is the problem it is the Fact that the Iron Mask is Always running in the Back Ground, IE the Sovereign GT even though it has an Iron mask On/Off switch even when it is in the Off Position it is Not Disabled and In a 4 foot seep of the coil you can pass over 15-20-25 Targets before the Threshold returns, Peg out a 50m X 50m area of ground and go over it with an Etrac and Mark the Targets and Time your self how long it Takes you to completely detect the Area, And Then Do The Same with the Deus and see how many more targets you find along with how long it takes you to detect the Same Area, With The recovery speed of the Deus Not only will you recover many more Targets you will also cover the Area in A Third of the Time, Even the Lower priced XP machines will Eat Any BBS or FBS machine in junk filled sites and I hated them for that because to me The Sovereign GT was the Best, and my Etrac was King of detectors but it was just no Good in junk filled sites, and considering there is over 7000 years of metal workings throughout the world, A machine with A Fast Recovery is The Key to finding the Good Stuff, and if Any One was coming here I would Tell themTo bring a machine with A Fast Recovery or I would Loan them One,

Hope this Helps,, john

your totally right my friend i couldnt of said it better myself .

goldwright said:
The Deus compactness is by far its best pro. I know there is a lot said about it's recovery speed compared to the CTX but I found the CTX to be just as fast as the Deus and one thing the Deus is lacking is the FBS2 with FE and CON and once you have used this in the heavy junk environment going with out it is hard to do. I thought the Iron volume would be more usefull too but with an open screen and some Combined tone adjustments the CTX is as good if not better at separating tragets. And with target trace on a large colour screen you can really learn what she is telling you as the numbers are only a guide but when you get a tight little red dot on the trace even when it is jumping around a bit you always have a round target whether a coin or brass washer or the like and I have yet to be proven wrong with this method and I feel this is the CTX one big advantage over the others when your primary target is coins.

The CTX is a little heavy but well balanced weight and is a dream to swing for hours on end but can not compare to the light weight of the Deus but one other thing to remember is you can not turn the coil off and you have to carry a couple of charges around with you and it is constantly chewing battery power whether using or not.

im sorry but the ctx will never be better in trash sites over the deus .if you swing your ctx over iron and 2 targets i guarantee you will miss one target at least because its recovery speed cannot even be compared .you have a 4 second sweep where i can sweep 1 second each way and still detect 10 targets in a line .pls go use a deus and see for yourself .your statment is totally wrong .there is no way on the face of this earth that the ctx is as fast as a deus its snail pace slow .

also the coil is off once you switch the machine off .the coil is in standby mode like when you turn a tv off .the deus battery can last up to 2months in standby mode i know this because i had a break from detecting and didnt touch it for ages it still had half a charge in it after many weeks .

the battery in deus is said to last anywhere from 5-7yrs .

Ridge Runner said:
goldwright said:
The Deus compactness is by far its best pro. I know there is a lot said about it's recovery speed compared to the CTX but I found the CTX to be just as fast as the Deus and one thing the Deus is lacking is the FBS2 with FE and CON and once you have used this in the heavy junk environment going with out it is hard to do. I thought the Iron volume would be more usefull too but with an open screen and some Combined tone adjustments the CTX is as good if not better at separating tragets. And with target trace on a large colour screen you can really learn what she is telling you as the numbers are only a guide but when you get a tight little red dot on the trace even when it is jumping around a bit you always have a round target whether a coin or brass washer or the like and I have yet to be proven wrong with this method and I feel this is the CTX one big advantage over the others when your primary target is coins.

The CTX is a little heavy but well balanced weight and is a dream to swing for hours on end but can not compare to the light weight of the Deus but one other thing to remember is you can not turn the coil off and you have to carry a couple of charges around with you and it is constantly chewing battery power whether using or not.

Good Post,, tell me why can't you turn the coil off??

The Fe and the Con is have adjustable volumes on XP machines although you can't select which one you hear in the same way it does have it version of them.

the coil is turned off its in standby mode also they con and ferrous dosnt help much at all because the ctx nulls over iron and has such a slow recovery speed .like it was incredible how many coins me and my friends missed because the ctx was so slow i cant even believe gold would say the ctx is the same recovery speed as the deus unless he has never used the deus ?.

Ridge Runner said:
goldwright said:
Goldpick said:
The coil does always stay on, but only in standby mode when not in use. It should last for several days, if not much longer without requiring a charge.

Just one of the cons of the Deus we found out about the hard way. Sitting for four days in the back of the ute fully charged only gave 2 detecting hours before going flat. Something to consider I would think.

Well that's not good, I would of thought that if it knew it had been dormant say for about an hour it would of shut off all together saving the battery, that needs a revamp I think.

Thanks for that.

i dont know how they got 2 hrs detecting because my deus sat there for about 2months uncharged and still gave me many hrs .this dosnt make sense ?.

Narrawa said:
All good gents, no one has talked me into or out of the Dues, my interest was only very small to start with.

Like most of you, there comes a time you start looking for the WOW factor in a detector....the Dues nor the 3030 has that for me due to the v3i covering most if not all their capabilities.

Well come on now...someone had to toss a pitch in for the Whites, or the thread would have been incomplete.. :lol:

use a deus and see for yourself i dont know why goldwright only got 2 hrs out of the deus after 2 days unless he left it on because my deus was sitting there for 2 months unused and i still got about 8hrs out of it .the battery in the deus is a very long life battery and standby uses hardly any energy at all it would be impossible for the battery to drain even 10% of it in complete standby mode for only 2 days this just does not make sense and i work in electronics .

before you listen to anyone grab a deus and try it out once you try it there will be no turning back because there is no other machine on the market that you can swing like the flash and still pick up every target .when i swing i swing 1 second left 1 second right like really fast and i never miss a target .thats the one thing i love about the deus its not like normal metal detecting where you have to take your time and it takes you all day the deus is so lightening fast you can cover a tremendous amount of ground in little to no time .

i can do a whole football over in about 1.5 hrs if i was to try that with a ctx it would take me 3 at least .

blakegarv, That's pretty much what I have seen, Like I said they Are A Force to be Reckoned with, The Only machines that can keep with XP's are Tesoro's and Whites, and the F75 etc.

A Guy On Another form had the same Issue as you with the CTX when he went over the Ground with an Etrac As He Put it He had Smashed the Park with the Etrac over A Long period of time and he asked about the MXT and I gave him the setting and he was finding A Serious amount of Money Plus Jewellery In the first few times he when out he was Already $150.00+ in front. Lord knows what he is up to by Now, But he said he was going over his Old sites and finding a lot of stuff he missed.

Guys I've found over $1000, 1 gold and diamond ring (over $1000 new), 1 gold and ruby ring, a gold wedding band, 2 silver rings and numerous silver coins with an aldi detector over the last year.

The etrac is absolutely smashing the same ground I've already done and only after 3 hunts I'm up about $60 in moderns, 7 silver coins and 2 silver rings in less than 10 hours of use. Now I know how to use it you'll see it's not the lame duck you both are claiming it is..... lol. The CTX I assume would be even better.

I doubt the Deus is better or worse, I'd say it's all in the settings to be honest. John to be honest again those setting you gave me for the etrac are vastly different to how I set it up.... It is not really slow that I can see, it's working great, so well in fact I've had to leave a lot of targets as they are too deep to recover in sensitive groud, the council ranger would not be happy if I dug them up..... :) The settings I'm using are working very very well.

Heatho said:
Guys I've found over $1000, 1 gold and diamond ring (over $1000 new), 1 gold and ruby ring, a gold wedding band, 2 silver rings and numerous silver coins with an aldi detector over the last year.

The etrac is absolutely smashing the same ground I've already done and only after 3 hunts I'm up about $60 in moderns, 7 silver coins and 2 silver rings in less than 10 hours of use. Now I know how to use it you'll see it's not the lame duck you both are claiming it is..... lol. The CTX I assume would be even better.

I doubt the Deus is better or worse, I'd say it's all in the settings to be honest. John to be honest again those setting you gave me for the etrac are vastly different to how I set it up.... It is not really slow that I can see, it's working great, so well in fact I've had to leave a lot of targets as they are too deep to recover in sensitive groud, the council ranger would not be happy if I dug them up..... :) The settings I'm using are working very very well.

Personally, I think Each detector works best in certain condition, In Cleaner pastures the Etrac makes finds very deep, With the Settings I gave you it makes it Very hot and you will dig a lot of junk but you will find those rare deep targets too,

Many people suffer with the Etracs yet others thrive, Me I am one of the Sufferers, The Confusion about machines Like XP and Whites etc is that they do the same Job as the Etrac type machines but their Language is more simple to understand,

I have seen CTX users have a hell of a Time when they were Demoing an F75 yet give them an Etrac or CTX they can really Carve the place up, If people are not making finds with the Etrac then they need to reset it back to the factory settings and Learn it's language before you start messing with the settings, The CTX and the Etrac's are useless to people who don't have the Patients to Listen and those who only listen some of the time, With these type of machines it is like going back to School you have to Shut your Mouth and Open your Ears and the moment you interrupt that Lesson you have to start Again, you can Only teach the machine what you want When it has Taught you How To Speak CTX or Etrac.

Machines like the V3i and the Deus etc use words we all Know, when adjusting The Controls where as the CTX and the Etrac have Different Labels for its settings and where we go wrong is when we try to figure out what the Labels on A CTX Equates to On Normal Machines, That's The first Mistake we make when we open the Box,

According to the Specs on All of these Machines they should be Pretty Equal,

blakegarv said:
goldwright said:

im sorry but the ctx will never be better in trash sites over the deus .if you swing your ctx over iron and 2 targets i guarantee you will miss one target at least because its recovery speed cannot even be compared .you have a 4 second sweep where i can sweep 1 second each way and still detect 10 targets in a line .pls go use a deus and see for yourself .your statment is totally wrong .there is no way on the face of this earth that the ctx is as fast as a deus its snail pace slow .

also the coil is off once you switch the machine off .the coil is in standby mode like when you turn a tv off .the deus battery can last up to 2months in standby mode i know this because i had a break from detecting and didnt touch it for ages it still had half a charge in it after many weeks .

Mate calm down, I loved the Deus was just stating that you need to carry 2 chargers and the coil is always on. He was asking pro's and Con's. I don't think there is that much between the 2 as people say. We did a side by side Deus and CTX with an actual site not buried targets and they both kept up with each other. But again if my CTX battery goes flat out in the field I grab my pack out of the ute chuck the AA's I have with it and away I go don't have to go home.

goldwright said:
blakegarv said:
goldwright said:

Mate calm down, I loved the Deus was just stating that you need to carry 2 chargers and the coil is always on. He was asking pro's and Con's. I don't think there is that much between the 2 as people say. We did a side by side Deus and CTX with an actual site not buried targets and they both kept up with each other. But again if my CTX battery goes flat out in the field I grab my pack out of the ute chuck the AA's I have with it and away I go don't have to go home.

Actually that's A Good point, I always pick machines that you can gat the Batteries Off the Shelf, hence why I use Whites Because I have Travelled around the World Quite A Few Times and I want to be able to use my Machines where ever I go, Dedicated Battery Packs means Restrictions and if they Die (not go Flat) out in the Bush that's either A Long journey back to Town or a Cancelled Trip. And Out in the Bust I try to make sure All my Gizmo's use the Same Batteries.

John

Heatho said:

i honestly think the etrac is a better machine than the ctx .everyone says the ctx never finds bottle caps right but if you think about it the deus has a silencer feature that if set to 4 will dismiss all bottle caps the problem with this is when silencer is set to 4 its looking for very pure signals so some coins on thier side may be rejected and ive realised this is why the ctx misses coins .because it has a built in silencer much like the deus but the ctxs silencer cant be adjusted hence why when me and my friends went over so many parks we missed alot of coins then with the deus we found tons because silencer was set to -0 on the deus as default .

and i feel this is why etrac users still find heaps of coins because there is a soffisticated silencer on the ctx how else would it miss so many bottle caps because even with my deus i still find bottle caps but i see it as a good thing because it means if a coin is badly placed in the ground the detector will still see them as with the ctx it will simply not and this is the theory i have and most the time im 100% right when it comes to electronics .this would explain me and my mates low find rate with the ctx yet the etrac seems to hammer .

i know alot of guys who use the etrac and do well but i dont know many who do well with the ctx .

the thing is if you have a machine that hardly finds bottle caps you know there is a trade off there is just no way around it .the ctx is very good at picking out pure signals and avoiding the iffy ones but like i said already the problem with this is yeh you may find less trash but you will also find less coins hence the silencer analogy .

goldwright said:
blakegarv said:
goldwright said:

sorry goldwright i wasnt angry just was wondering why you only had so little time to detect after it was on standby for only 2 days it just didnt make sense .you have a good point with the battery packs tho i can see where it would be handy but i just cant see the ctx trumping the deus in any catagories accept maybe water resistance and i say water resistance because nearly everyone i know who has taken the ctx in the water has had to return it due to water gettng in the battery compartment .

Latest posts