The CTX vs Deus vs Whites thread

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This battle seems to be played out in many threads. Might be a good idea, to discuss, share our experiences, and opinions in the one place :cool:

My 2/example why the Deus is better:
Say, I have a mate wanting to upgrade from an atpro. He is swaying towards the ctx. I reckon he should go dues, his needs are turf, coin, relic, beach, but not wading in surf. Its not uncommon for him to detect for 6hrs plus in a session. He also wants to travel to europe. I reckon the deus will do the job best, it weighs very little, performs just as well, or better, much faster recovery speed (he likes to swing fast), costs less, and will foldup really compact for traveling. Might add, that the deus isnt hard to make work in water. I added whites, because some people say they offer a detector on par.

Lets discuss it all here :)

If not wading in surf Rocket he should consider the Etrac also, it's virtually the same as a CTX without waterproofing and without GPS, a bit lighter too. I'm tossing up between the 2 now. My thoughts are buy a CTX as it has FBS2/Smartfind2 or save $1000 and get an Etrac which has FBS/Smartfind.

Comparing the Deus from youtube vids I'm heavilly leaning toward the CTX as it seems to function more precisely on target ID and is ready to go in the water as is.

Deus is lighter and seems to have faster recovery times between detection events.

I guess there are positives and negatives for both units.

Which Whites model are you thinking of? There are none that really seem to float my boat to be honest.

He should consider the etrac I spose :) Added whites, because it seems to crop-up in ctx vs deus discussions, I know nothing about them.

rocketaroo said:
He should consider the etrac I spose :) Added whites, because it seems to crop-up in ctx vs deus discussions, I know nothing about them.

No worries mate. The etrac has really opened my eyes, it is a very very nice unit to use with a lot of settings but I wouldn't say hard to use. I've had 4 sessions with it now and it really brings home the bacon. The CTX is a bit of a step up again from the etrac. Can't wait to get my hands on one. :)

I guess the Whites spectra V3i would be the closest to the others mentioned.

rocketaroo said:
This battle seems to be played out in many threads. Might be a good idea, to discuss, share our experiences, and opinions in the one place :cool:

My 2/example why the Deus is better:
Say, I have a mate wanting to upgrade from an atpro. He is swaying towards the ctx. I reckon he should go dues, his needs are turf, coin, relic, beach, but not wading in surf. Its not uncommon for him to detect for 6hrs plus in a session. He also wants to travel to europe. I reckon the deus will do the job best, it weighs very little, performs just as well, or better, much faster recovery speed (he likes to swing fast), costs less, and will foldup really compact for traveling. Might add, that the deus isnt hard to make work in water. I added whites, because some people say they offer a detector on par.

Lets discuss it all here :)

I tried to post here but an update stole my post, LOL

Being an Aussie I was Totally Minelab minded and nothing ever came close until one day A mate made my machines look stupid and me embarrassed, with my 3 favourite machines and a bunch of ML and Coiltek Coils, As for XP machines I was always against them for political reasons which was a bit unfair on my behalf really, But the truth is XP machines will beat almost any Machine out there in Junk filled sites, So much so people were selling their Explorers for silly money to buy the XP Goldmaxx Power, It got that bad at one point I hated the Name XP, People where having hunted out sites come Alive again after 40-50 years of being detected,

BBS and FBS machines are Very slow, it is not so much the Recovery that is the problem it is the Fact that the Iron Mask is Always running in the Back Ground, IE the Sovereign GT even though it has an Iron mask On/Off switch even when it is in the Off Position it is Not Disabled and In a 4 foot seep of the coil you can pass over 15-20-25 Targets before the Threshold returns, Peg out a 50m X 50m area of ground and go over it with an Etrac and Mark the Targets and Time your self how long it Takes you to completely detect the Area, And Then Do The Same with the Deus and see how many more targets you find along with how long it takes you to detect the Same Area, With The recovery speed of the Deus Not only will you recover many more Targets you will also cover the Area in A Third of the Time, Even the Lower priced XP machines will Eat Any BBS or FBS machine in junk filled sites and I hated them for that because to me The Sovereign GT was the Best, and my Etrac was King of detectors but it was just no Good in junk filled sites, and considering there is over 7000 years of metal workings throughout the world, A machine with A Fast Recovery is The Key to finding the Good Stuff, and if Any One was coming here I would Tell themTo bring a machine with A Fast Recovery or I would Loan them One,

Hope this Helps,, john

I'm having pretty good luck with the etrac John, it's going very well at the moment for me. 7 silver coins and 2 sterling silver rings in my first 3 outings with it. I'm positive the Deus would have got them too but still very happy with the way the etrac runs.

Heatho said:
I'm having pretty good luck with the etrac John, it's going very well at the moment for me. 7 silver coins and 2 sterling silver rings in my first 3 outings with it. I'm positive the Deus would have got them too but still very happy with the way the etrac runs.

Sweet, Your Smoking with that beauty, heres one of my programs I was using,

Threshold 15
Volume 30
Vol Gain at 26
Response Pitch Hold
Tones 2 or 4
Sounds Conductive
Variable 25
Limit 30
Recovery Deep ON sometimes off
Recovery Fast ON
Ground set at N or Difficult,
Using a Fe Relic Pattern,

I found that because of the Junk here my settings only had small changes either higher or Lower on a few things, but Running it too hot did punish me.

Hope this helps.

Id like to see a video of a Deus with the following criteria met.

Items needed.
1. A 3-4" long rusty nail found in the ozy gold fields.
2. 1 copper coin, (half penny in size)
3. A silver coin, ( 10c in size )

Air test.
Now, turn detector an and factory preset it, select one of its coin programs.
Place either coin (one at a time) under the nail 1" below in any combination you can..(this will require using two hands)vertical, horizontal, and any and everywhere in between keeping the coin aprox 1" under the nail or just to the side at all times, but below the nail while passing it under the coil.
You may change the orientation of the nail to the coil while passing it and the coin under the coil with the coin at the required distance from the nail only.

You are required to not cut the footage, this will take two people to complete. That is...one shoot showing the requirements above.

For those of you who have one of these detectors, you may answer the question prematurely...

Q. will the nail, mask the coin.?

Narrawa said:

Items needed.

Air test.
Place either coin (one at a time) under the nail 1" below in any combination you can..(this will require using two hands)vertical, horizontal, and any and everywhere in between keeping the coin aprox 1" under the nail or just to the side at all times, but below the nail while passing it under the coil.
You may change the orientation of the nail to the coil while passing it and the coin under the coil with the coin at the required distance from the nail only.

You are required to not cut the footage, this will take two people to complete. That is...one shoot showing the requirements above.

For those of you who have one of these detectors, you may answer the question prematurely...

Some Machines are going to get a good work out, but the harder the test and the better.

Narrawa said:

Items needed.

Air test.

Here ya Mate, This Guy ( Norfolk Wolf ) was the major field Tester for the UK XP Dealers, He Died About 4 years ago Bless him and no one knew that machine like he did, But the GoldMaxx Power Mode is also Built into the Deus but the Deus is Like the GoldMaxx on Steriods in that it is even faster and A lot deeper he talks about the Roman Minim that is a small copper/bronze coin about 5 to 6 mm across, but listen what he says about the closeness of the coin to the Nail. He has tested about every machine around until he died,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OrLcMCCQWc

John

The Deus compactness is by far its best pro. I know there is a lot said about it's recovery speed compared to the CTX but I found the CTX to be just as fast as the Deus and one thing the Deus is lacking is the FBS2 with FE and CON and once you have used this in the heavy junk environment going with out it is hard to do. I thought the Iron volume would be more usefull too but with an open screen and some Combined tone adjustments the CTX is as good if not better at separating tragets. And with target trace on a large colour screen you can really learn what she is telling you as the numbers are only a guide but when you get a tight little red dot on the trace even when it is jumping around a bit you always have a round target whether a coin or brass washer or the like and I have yet to be proven wrong with this method and I feel this is the CTX one big advantage over the others when your primary target is coins.

The CTX is a little heavy but well balanced weight and is a dream to swing for hours on end but can not compare to the light weight of the Deus but one other thing to remember is you can not turn the coil off and you have to carry a couple of charges around with you and it is constantly chewing battery power whether using or not.

goldwright said:
The Deus compactness is by far its best pro. I know there is a lot said about it's recovery speed compared to the CTX but I found the CTX to be just as fast as the Deus and one thing the Deus is lacking is the FBS2 with FE and CON and once you have used this in the heavy junk environment going with out it is hard to do. I thought the Iron volume would be more usefull too but with an open screen and some Combined tone adjustments the CTX is as good if not better at separating tragets. And with target trace on a large colour screen you can really learn what she is telling you as the numbers are only a guide but when you get a tight little red dot on the trace even when it is jumping around a bit you always have a round target whether a coin or brass washer or the like and I have yet to be proven wrong with this method and I feel this is the CTX one big advantage over the others when your primary target is coins.

The CTX is a little heavy but well balanced weight and is a dream to swing for hours on end but can not compare to the light weight of the Deus but one other thing to remember is you can not turn the coil off and you have to carry a couple of charges around with you and it is constantly chewing battery power whether using or not.

Good Post,, tell me why can't you turn the coil off??

The Fe and the Con is have adjustable volumes on XP machines although you can't select which one you hear in the same way it does have it version of them.

The coil does always stay on, but only in standby mode when not in use. It should last for several days, if not much longer without requiring a charge.

Goldpick said:
The coil does always stay on, but only in standby mode when not in use. It should last for several days, if not much longer without requiring a charge.

Thanks for that Info I knew they would have to of done something to save power,

I guess it is hard to incorporate a normal type switch and have it be water proof without adding extra weight to the coil.

John

Goldpick said:

Just one of the cons of the Deus we found out about the hard way. Sitting for four days in the back of the ute fully charged only gave 2 detecting hours before going flat. Something to consider I would think.

goldwright said:
Goldpick said:

Just one of the cons of the Deus we found out about the hard way. Sitting for four days in the back of the ute fully charged only gave 2 detecting hours before going flat. Something to consider I would think.

Well that's not good, I would of thought that if it knew it had been dormant say for about an hour it would of shut off all together saving the battery, that needs a revamp I think.

Thanks for that.

Ridge Runner said:
goldwright said:
Goldpick said:

Well that's not good, I would of thought that if it knew it had been dormant say for about an hour it would of shut off all together saving the battery, that needs a revamp I think.

Thanks for that.

Was also carrying it around on backpack while using the GPZ and every 10 minutes or so would cause interference took awhile to work out it was the Deus. It must search for its remote periodically.

Ok well that puts an end to my interest in the Dues....which was only very small, but never the less, there was something there.

Thx to those who spoke about it.

Narrawa said:
Ok well that puts an end to my interest in the Dues....which was only very small, but never the less, there was something there.

Thx to those who spoke about it.

Not trying to talk anyone out of the Deus, it is a great machine which goes punch for punch with the CTX and its Notch ground balance is something that leaves the CTX for dead in hot ground or when your park has some contaminated fill on top.

Latest posts