The branch that gave a sweet signal

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is something odd that I came across while working a patch on my second last outing.
I had got a 0.48g piece about 1.5m away so as you do, I was hammering the immediate surrounds when another nice signal came up.
The signal was bright and coming from an area that a small branch was covering.
A boot scrape soon saw the target shift so I almost didn't investigate further, but being a nicer sounding signal I thought I'd see what it was..
After a few waves of the coil I was surprised that the signal was coming from the dead branch I had just moved.

After a quick inspection my first thought that maybe a piece of wrapped wire or a nail would be the culprit wasn't so.
Swining the branch over the coil was a bizarre feeling, and i soon found the part where the strongest signal was coming from - nothing visible on the outside of the branch apart from a knot.

A quip crack with my knee revealed the source of the signal - quite odd I thought
:)
1449394291_image.jpg

1449394313_image.jpg
1449394340_image.jpg

I had a similar thing a couple weeks back, signal from a small branch laying just above the ground, I had already dug a couple of bullets close by so didn't worry about breaking the branch to get it out.

Came across a tree that had been dug out recently, still had life in it.
Someone had dug a huge hole, I mean huge. The trunk of the tree was about 150mm in diameter.
Puzzled as to why someone had gone to so much trouble I swung the coil over the trunk, about 1/2 metre up the trunk got a strong signal. Close inspection showed scars in the bark. A probe with the pocket knife revealed several .243 slugs in a fairly close circle.
Think there was a very tired disappointed prospector a few days back?

Lol yeah I've found the old .22 in a branch before. Have done the same thing in regards to digging out a tree with a signal from above. Taught me to spend a bit more time determining where signals are coming from before wildly digging holes. Much easier on the back.

Unfortunately it was an accepted practice in the 80's to drop all you junk finds into hollow tree trunks,
so if you get a signal next to a stump have a gander inside.

I did this, after digging a hole the about the size of an Olympic swimming pool discovered a .22 impailed into the tree stump.. Worst thing was it took up about an hour of my day trying to find it.....