TESLA HYPOCRITES

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched recently a video of a fella on the side of the road with a ‘flat’ leccy vehicle. He borrowed a jerry can of fuel to charge up the vehicle. The fella lending the jerrycan of fuel asked how he was going to use petrol. This fella popped the boot lid to reveal a Honda genny that was out of fuel.

laccy bands are the future!
And 10 hours later he was on the road again.....

It's just a matter of time GR.
I'm all for it when it occurs. I actually looked into electric cars because we will need a new car soon - however i just found too many negatives at this point in time. Maybe we will be running on hydrogen before then!

A friend of mine had an hybrid with lots of batteries. Batteries dried up, the replacement price was comparable to a brand new car. So he sold the car and purchased a petrol engine car. If we cannot extract oil from the underground, we will plant crops that produce oil instead. Oil will never abandon this civilization, the "RIP OIL" wankers can cry all they want.
Try this.......
take the number of cars on the road today from the ABS
Change the number to the number EVs
Add a 5% increase per annum for the next 10 years
multiply the number of EVs for each year by the average power per annum that an EV requires
compare to the amount of electricity Australia produces per annum and plans to produce over the next 10 years
then work out where the electrical power for EVs will come from
then work out how long before that electrical capacity is available ( do not include mini nuclear)
and then have a drink as you have earned it and you will need it

Yes, I was talking more in the time frame of people thinking they are achieving absolute savings and not realising that the entire picture must change before one can get the full benefit of things like electric cars. I still do not see much talk about new transmission systems, which is why people are paid so much less for their rooftop solar overproduction. Yes, batteries will make a difference, but at $US33,000 for a new one you cannot really afford this every 7 years. And when people talk about mileages per charge they are usually not allowing for a 10% drop over time, and that you have to fill up well before that (easier to judge with petrol, so another 10%). Russian cobalt is important for lithium battteries and is in limited supply (most is from the Congo which is stable - for the moment. No easy alternative sources. So like Europe with its gas, we create a situation where most lithium batteries throughout the world are dependant on a single unstable country. Needs to be thought out and planned properly, and the only people really enthusiastic are those buying electric cars and rooftop solar, thinking they are getting benefits NOW! Needs a bigger plan urgently. Even regarding mineral resources - most of the public are simply anti-mining, so we never hear discussion of strategic resource planning there (ensuring at lest some emergency resources - it can take ten years to find a mine. Australia is only one of the world's highest per capita enmitter because most of Europe, North America and much of Asia went nuclear decades ago.

And how do you charge along Australia's road networks when most places outside the high-population east coast don't even have mains electricity lines after more than 100 years? It is not just holiday-makers, it is the trucks that supply the widely spaced towns or travel between cities, including those carrying commodities for export..

Basic story is the cars are only good if you use them locally, they take time to charge, and the saving in emissions is only around 60% in Australia at present. Think and plan, don't just enthuse.
Try this.......
take the number of cars on the road today from the ABS
Change the number to the number EVs
Add a 5% increase per annum for the next 10 years
multiply the number of EVs for each year by the average power per annum that an EV requires
compare to the amount of electricity Australia produces per annum and plans to produce over the next 10 years
then work out where the electrical power for EVs will come from
then work out how long before that electrical capacity is available ( do not include mini nuclear)
and then have a drink as you have earned it and you will need it

Latest posts