Tele Marketers

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You cant stop them. They are generally ringing from overseas and the do not call register only works for Australian callers. Even if the number looks like it is a local number it is diverted from an overseas number. I just let them waffle for a little while and then tell them i have solar pannels on the roof or I have had that government rebate, or anything they dont want to hear. Sometimes as soon as they tell me who they are from (usually get them to repeat it a couple of times) and then just say Not interested goodbye, if they continue with their spiel then just say it again and hang up. They never go away but from about 4 per week I have dropped to about 1 a month. seems to work. Ken.

Ken,
The Do Not Call Register applies to overseas call centres as well as in Australia. If a complaint is lodged with the AMCA they will pursue the Australian company linked to the call centre.

When I receive a call I show great interest asking for the company details and once I have them I then ask do they know about the DNCR. They usually quickly hangup on me never to call again

For the system to work people have to lodge a complain so that the AMCA has something to work with

https://www.donotcall.gov.au/industry/industry-overview/

Bob

I think I got it figured out, somehow you get yourself on a list and eventually you get sick of them calling you, so you either spit the dummy at them or get on the "do not call" list.......

So then, who ever holds your name & number or email on the first list, sells it to someone with fewer morals down the food chain who starts the cycle again, again, again & again....

Truth is "You Will Aways Be on Someones List!!!"

2nd truth is exemption lists don't work, they are just another list :rolleyes:

3rd truth is that if you accept calls from charities, you can be automatically OFF any exemption list - go figure!!!

4th truth is that people inside Govt Depts have been known to sell lists - "regularly!!!!"

Frightening isn't it.....?

How not to be on a list?

Don't get a credit card
Don't get finance
Don't buy and/or register a car
Don't buy a house
Don't get insurance
Don't buy a phone
Don't use any form of social media
Don't go to school

Get the point!!! and breathing is out too :cool:

Sorry to be so cynical, but like LL I'm having some issues with these suckers too...

Happy days
Bazz

ken2m said:
The whistle could end up with you being charged by police with assault. Ken.

The whistle thing is a myth, it's impossible to hurt someone doing that, due to the audio limiting by the actual microphone itself. The mic will distort and clip the audio signal before it even gets to the line.

Whenever I get called by the chinese scammers pretending to be an insurance company, microsoft, tax office I keep them on the phone as long as possible so they can call less people, I think my record is about 40 mins. They used to call nearly every day, then I threatened one and they called even more often. :( Once I started wasting their time and baiting them they never call anymore lol. :)

I give them to my son who has an intellectual disability and
just loves a good waffle on the phone. PMSL.
Had me in stitches one day with an Indian Yodeller.
Had him going for at least 3/4 hour. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thank God the little fella can not talk properly.
The Mickysoft "Enjineers" get a little confused with Win95 Running in a Linux
Shell.

Heatho said:
Whenever I get called by the chinese scammers pretending to be an insurance company, microsoft, tax office I keep them on the phone as long as possible so they can call less people, I think my record is about 40 mins. They used to call nearly every day, then I threatened one and they called even more often. :( Once I started wasting their time and baiting them they never call anymore lol. :)

haha me too, i had one bloke crack the sads with me for wasting his time :D .

Very simple, don't pick the phone up if its a private call, a number you don't recognise.
If it is important they will leave a message.
Scammers rarely leave a message, the only message left from memory was to tell me the police were on their way directed by the ATO to arrest me for not paying a tax bill.
Been retired for past 8 years. :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

numpty said:
Heatho said:

haha me too, i had one bloke crack the sads with me for wasting his time :D .

Classic hey.

I had 1 going for about 1/2 hour while we were waiting for my "slow old" computer to start, told her it was old and she probably expected it to be Win XP, then told her it crashed and froze and that I had restart it, also told her I was old and know nothing about computers, you could here her voice change to a gleeful tone, lol, almost like she was rubbing her hands together.

I then told her it had started but the keyboard wouldn't work, then told her it sometimes need a restart when this happens, I think she was onto me by this stage........ :D But I pleaded with her to stay on the line to help me, she even said "are you tricking me", anyway told her the computer had re-started and the keyboard worked but I couldn't find the things she wanted me to do... :D

This went on for quite a while, was awesome. She eventually hung up with me pleading for her to finish helping me. :lol:

I told a Life Insurance salesman recently that I'd be glad to purchase a policy providing his company would meet my criteria. I asked for 10 million in US dollars to be deposited into my account. Once it cleared I would be happy to have them sign my contract for 50 million US dollars guaranteed upon my passing and the policy price I was prepared to pay was $1.00 Australian dollar for each calender year until I & the policy ceased existing. I had to explain it 4 or 5 times during which the confused salesman thought I was trying to sell him a policy, once he finally understood my demands he hung up on me. I smiled in the knowledge I'd consumed a portion of his time and hopefully saved some one from having their dinner interrupted. Bloody rude of him to hang up I thought I was having fun mind you there have been many times I've given them a piece of my mind.

aussiefarmer said:
tell them the person they are after is dead , problem solved

I always tell them I have a brain injury and can't remember where I put the paperwork for the pretend insurance companies. First question after that is, "s there someone there who knows and can help" ;) . You have got them by that stage as they think your an easy target. :D

I just say hang on a sec, then begin the sales pitch of the products Im selling. Just another opportunity I say. They soon hang up.

GT :)

Latest posts