Suggestions where to go?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotrob

Rob
Reaction score
Yeh .....I know......go to HELL!!!!!! :lol:

Next weekend I am leaving for the GT for ONE week of detecting with my wife....... sadly 8.( this will probably be the only week we will get for detecting in the next twelve months due to work & family (first grand child) commitments.
At present I intended to go to the Moliagul or Inglewood areas as we have been to both these areas & had success (limited) with our SDC.
We're newbies with less than two years experience & I've only had five opportunities to turn my detector on due to living on the wrong side of the state.
When Minelab bought out the GPX4500 I asked my wife if she thought she could handle the SDC if I bought the 4500. She gave me the nod to buy it so this will be the first chance I have had to use 4500. The wife will swing the SDC beside me (we're a team & do everything together) so I can see a contest looming. :)

Anyway I'm sure you all realise how precious detecting time is & seeing as this is our only chance for twelve months we don't want to waste one minute of it.
Of the two areas I've mentioned which would you suggest as having the best chance of finding some colour? I'm open to any suggestions of other areas ......but we will be living on site in our van & I know camp sites that I've previously used at Moliagul & Inglewood.

Obviously we don't expect any ones spot or patch but some advice of which of these two areas (or elsewhere) would give us our best chance would be greatly appreciated.

Rob.

Blackwood is probably the least flogged spot in Victoria but there is a reason it's not been flogged. Just look on google earth and you will see how full on the terrain is, it's mountain goat country and most of it is overgrown. Its tough going in most spots but I have found a couple of grammers out on Nuggety creek.

Hotrob said:
Yeh .....I know......go to HELL!!!!!! :lol:

Next weekend I am leaving for the GT for ONE week of detecting with my wife....... sadly 8.( this will probably be the only week we will get for detecting in the next twelve months due to work & family (first grand child) commitments.
At present I intended to go to the Moliagul or Inglewood areas as we have been to both these areas & had success (limited) with our SDC.
We're newbies with less than two years experience & I've only had five opportunities to turn my detector on due to living on the wrong side of the state.
When Minelab bought out the GPX4500 I asked my wife if she thought she could handle the SDC if I bought the 4500. She gave me the nod to buy it so this will be the first chance I have had to use 4500. The wife will swing the SDC beside me (we're a team & do everything together) so I can see a contest looming. :)

Anyway I'm sure you all realise how precious detecting time is & seeing as this is our only chance for twelve months we don't want to waste one minute of it.
Of the two areas I've mentioned which would you suggest as having the best chance of finding some colour? I'm open to any suggestions of other areas ......but we will be living on site in our van & I know camp sites that I've previously used at Moliagul & Inglewood.

Obviously we don't expect any ones spot or patch but some advice of which of these two areas (or elsewhere) would give us our best chance would be greatly appreciated.

Rob.

Good luck mate
It is a fantastic team and close-knit
good luck!
I hope you find very yellow and do not forget to post the photos here in the forum!

Tempted to buy some land in the GT seed some finds across the stretch and pay to detect. Dig a decent water way and seed that for the alluvial blokes. Pay for the new house I reckon. :D

Hot rob , always go back to where you have had success , it's the best place to start..and look around and before you know it ..you will have more success..Gold doesn't like to be loanly..Wish you luck..

I was in the inglewood area a couple of weeks ago and DSE had just completed a controlled burn near kingower a couple of weeks before that. Signs up saying they are doing another in a couple of weeks time (think it said 30 November). Made for some easy swinging with all the undergrowth gone. Still didn't find the shiny stuff, but only spent a couple of hours at it. Not far from the Hand of Faith find there - the left hands gotta be there somewhere right?

fever said:
I was in the inglewood area a couple of weeks ago and DSE had just completed a controlled burn near kingower a couple of weeks before that. Signs up saying they are doing another in a couple of weeks time (think it said 30 November). Made for some easy swinging with all the undergrowth gone. Still didn't find the shiny stuff, but only spent a couple of hours at it. Not far from the Hand of Faith find there - the left hands gotta still be there somewhere right?

Thanks for your advice guys.

HTY I like the sound of Blackwood..... but LC75's point about "mountain goat country" put me off. I think I'd better start the wife on the flats before we get into bush bashing. :) I might have a look at Blackwood on my own with the mobile little SDC.
HTY when I first read your post I googled "backwood" & could only find info on some heavy metal band ........ I thought you were taking the pi$$. :) Then I added the "L".
Thank you for your good wishes Joao..... I hope to post some photos in a couple of weeks.
As Blackwood is the only suggestion but too challenging for us to start with I think I will take your advise Baldy & go back to Inglewood or Moliagul or perhaps a couple of days at each. I might follow the smoke out to Kingower as you suggest Fever...... I don't know about the "left hand of faith"...... I think I'd be happy with a finger.
One more question if I may...... When using the SDC2300 & free camping in the caravan relying on solar power I used to recharge the batteries on every second day while using disposable batteries in between. Doing this meant every second day was with the rechargables & the other day with disposables.
As I can't do this with the GPX4500...... is it worth my while ($395.00) buying a second battery so I can rotate them. This would give the batteries of full day of solar to recharge........ or do they take that little to recharge can I do it overnight off my house battery via an inverter.

Looking forward to your advice.

Rob.

I'm with Baldy . Always looking for new spots but to make sure I go home with at least a little of the good stuff always revisit the old spots.

Hotrob - i use a car charger for the Minelab battery sometimes. If you're driving around a bit you can get some decent charge in to them. Only about $35 on eBay.

Hi guys,

I am new at this all together, I am hiring a metal detector for my boys aged 6 and 8 and we want to go out looking for nuggets don't care how little a speck we could find just the joy of having the boys out and about.
they are so excited to go but I have no idea where to look???

We thought about Lithgow or Bathurst areas for a few days we have a patrol 4wd and a camper trailer to set up

Can anyone help me in a location to camp and look, I don't expect anyone telling me spots that they have found good gold in but a little help would be exciting to see the boys faces if they found anything

Im a paramedic and life to short not to get out and live just want a good time with my boys and hope to show them more then tv and computer games

email if you don't want to respond here

:)

Admin edit. Email address removed per forum rules. Members can email you by using the Email button under your avatar.

Hey mate, if you're hiring a detector, my advice would be to hire an sdc 2300, it is really easy to use and if you are in an area where gold had been found, run the machine over the Millicent heaps and with that machine you are almost sure to find some, this machine will find little nuggets that you would see if you panned, I can't help with places to go, however if you google areas of alluvial gold fields then plenty of info should come up, you could also do a search on this website and that may point you in the right direction, but short answer is if you find old diggings, detect there, low and slow and you should come up with something, good luck

Hotrob,
At the price of Coles rechargeable batteries I don't think it's worth using disposable batteries on the SDC. I think it's $7 for two which means you get a set of SDC rechargeable batteries for $14 and their batteries are quite good. All our Energizer AA batteries have packed it in within a couple of years but the Coles batteries are still all going strong. We have around 40AA rechargeables plus AAA's and C's. Most of them are Coles brand and they are certainly seem to be the best value for money.

Paramedic009 said:
Hi guys,

I am new at this all together, I am hiring a metal detector for my boys aged 6 and 8 and we want to go out looking for nuggets don't care how little a speck we could find just the joy of having the boys out and about.
they are so excited to go but I have no idea where to look???

We thought about Lithgow or Bathurst areas for a few days we have a patrol 4wd and a camper trailer to set up

Can anyone help me in a location to camp and look, I don't expect anyone telling me spots that they have found good gold in but a little help would be exciting to see the boys faces if they found anything

Im a paramedic and life to short not to get out and live just want a good time with my boys and hope to show them more then tv and computer games

email if you don't want to respond here

:)

Admin edit. Email address removed per forum rules. Members can email you by using the Email button under your avatar.

We just came back from Wattle Creek, Sofala and the common there has a nice clean toilet block and plenty of camping space. We spent a couple of nights for just one little 0.4g nugget but I've not been to any other areas to tell you about. There are hundreds of shallow diggings with very little distance to walk from the car or campsite. Two areas are set aside, I think we went too the southern one.

Well I'm back. Bad news first......... my wife FLOGGED me. :(
We ended up doing three days at Moliagul & three days at Inglewood. I found my first piece with the 4500 about fifty meters from camp at Moliagul & only 10 minutes into the first day...... "how easy is this gunna be" :) I remember thinking to myself. I found one other piece in the next three days. :(
On day 2 I was only 50 meters from my wife when she yelled out that she had found her very first piece "solo". She was pretty stoked...... so was I ...... one piece each ...... she then proceeded to find another 3 little pieces in close proximity to her first. By the time we were leaving moliagul for Inglewwod the score was 7/2 her way. She didn't rub it in though.....MUCH.
Three days at Inglewood saw the final tally at 12/3. 8.(
In my defence although I tried hard I couldn't get the 4500 to run quietly. On a couple of occations it wasn't bad but it quickly reverted to a constant racket that said dig here, here & here all at the same time. At one spot at Moliagul I got a promising signal & commenced to dig.... after an hour it looked like I was digging a site for an in ground pool..... & still the 4500 kept saying "dig". I walked away (probably from the next "Welcome Stranger") but I had had enough.
A question for more experienced people................ This was my first time with the 4500 & I was using the Elite 14" coil. I was using it the same as I did with the SDC...... scimming/touching the ground & very slow. While we were at Inglewood I watched another bloke with a 4500 or 5000 (not sure as I was a fair way off) & he appeared to be swinging his coil much higher off the ground. Could this be the reason I was getting so much noise...... bumping scraping the ground????????
Anyway the high light of the trip was when my son & his partner surprised us by turning up for two days for my B'day. It then became the boys versus the girls. My wife had the pleasure of finding a piece with our daughter in law to be & I was lucky enough to snag a good piece with my son. I think we may have started another couple on a detecting life style. :D
After using the SDC for the last eighteen months & moving on to the 4500 I must admitt I'm struggling. I would be digging at phantom signals/emi/hot rocks & ground balancing every 5 meters & my wife would walk past with the SDC purring quietly.
I've just bought two Johnathon Porter dvd's on the gpx & I will be watching these over & over during the Christmas break to see if I can pick up a tip or two on quietening it down.
Anyway I found gold on my first try with the tempremental 4500 & my wife found plenty on her first solo effort with the SDC. We had a good time away together celebrating my b'day.
Can you tell me the brand name of the Coles batteries Moneybox?
Rob.

Coles....... they are green and black sold under the Coles brand name.

Sounds like you had a great trip. That sounds typical of the SDC and it doesn't help with your confidence in the new machine. How was the size? I don't usually have problems with noise on the ATX but I can't find those little ones like the SDC does.

Hotrob said:
Well I'm back. Bad news first......... my wife FLOGGED me. :(
We ended up doing three days at Moliagul & three days at Inglewood. I found my first piece with the 4500 about fifty meters from camp at Moliagul & only 10 minutes into the first day...... "how easy is this gunna be" :) I remember thinking to myself. I found one other piece in the next three days. :(
On day 2 I was only 50 meters from my wife when she yelled out that she had found her very first piece "solo". She was pretty stoked...... so was I ...... one piece each ...... she then proceeded to find another 3 little pieces in close proximity to her first. By the time we were leaving moliagul for Inglewwod the score was 7/2 her way. She didn't rub it in though.....MUCH.
Three days at Inglewood saw the final tally at 12/3. 8.(
In my defence although I tried hard I couldn't get the 4500 to run quietly. On a couple of occations it wasn't bad but it quickly reverted to a constant racket that said dig here, here & here all at the same time. At one spot at Moliagul I got a promising signal & commenced to dig.... after an hour it looked like I was digging a site for an in ground pool..... & still the 4500 kept saying "dig". I walked away (probably from the next "Welcome Stranger") but I had had enough.
A question for more experienced people................ This was my first time with the 4500 & I was using the Elite 14" coil. I was using it the same as I did with the SDC...... scimming/touching the ground & very slow. While we were at Inglewood I watched another bloke with a 4500 or 5000 (not sure as I was a fair way off) & he appeared to be swinging his coil much higher off the ground. Could this be the reason I was getting so much noise...... bumping scraping the ground????????
Anyway the high light of the trip was when my son & his partner surprised us by turning up for two days for my B'day. It then became the boys versus the girls. My wife had the pleasure of finding a piece with our daughter in law to be & I was lucky enough to snag a good piece with my son. I think we may have started another couple on a detecting life style. :D
After using the SDC for the last eighteen months & moving on to the 4500 I must admitt I'm struggling. I would be digging at phantom signals/emi/hot rocks & ground balancing every 5 meters & my wife would walk past with the SDC purring quietly.
I've just bought two Johnathon Porter dvd's on the gpx & I will be watching these over & over during the Christmas break to see if I can pick up a tip or two on quietening it down.
Anyway I found gold on my first try with the tempremental 4500 & my wife found plenty on her first solo effort with the SDC. We had a good time away together celebrating my b'day.
Can you tell me the brand name of the Coles batteries Moneybox?
Rob.

Latest posts