Fossicking areas close to Sydney?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We're looking for some areas close to home (south western Sydney) to go fossicking. Areas within say an hour and a half drive.

Is there any areas say Southern Highlands or eastern areas of the Blue Mountains region that are worth a poke around?

We prefer to ask here as being beginners some of the allowed and the prohibited areas can be hard to determine.

An example being I was looking at areas on the Trilobite app and thought that the Wingecarribee river could offer some fun. But then a search on here for Southern Highlands fossicking brought to light that fossicking the Wingecarribee is forbidden due to it flowing into our reservoirs. Fair call.

So yeah, we don't want to get caught somewhere we shouldn't be. If if we innocently didn't know, It's not good for the overall fossicking community overall.

So looking for easy day trips. Oberon region is just far enough away it really requires a weekend trip, If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Justin & Mary...

Thanks Matt. Was hoping there we're some places around the Southern Highlands. Just that bit closer.

When you say public access, are you meaning without a permit?

Oberon can be a day trip. But it means getting up seriously early to have any worthwhile time spent on site.

We appreciate your input 🙂

Justin & Mary...

Around Oberon in the State Forests you definitely need NSW State Forest Fossicking Permit.
Other areas would be dependent on land manager & whether they authorise fossicking.
Oallen - I'm not sure these days. Would depend on who manages it or whether its just under NSW Crown Lands. It's a popular spot so I'm assuming that no permit is required.

Latest posts