Steel v's Plastic Pans

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a new Garrett pan a few weeks back and went straight back to my old super sluice. I prefer a rougher surface ( not deep scratches ) as it holds the gold better when separating out the black sands. I wouldn't scratch it with rocks but a bit of sand or sandpaper makes it perfect.

DD

Sand will soon give you a "Matt" finish to the base of the pan and that's all that's needed. If you're going to get a Garrett pan then the "Super Sluice" is the only one to get. A pan with a large bottom will out pan one with a small one, every day of the week, and i swear by them. Again my opinion only,

Cheers Wal.

Hi guys,

I'm a newby to panning - and have both the turbo pan, as well as the garrett. Have done some serious research spending a couple of hours down the river, I personally like the turbo pan. I find it gets to the business end of things a lot quicker then the garrett.

Hope that helps :D

I started with a cake tin (low sides - large bottom surface), recently upgraded to a generic black 14" pan with basic riffles (Long sides - small bottom surface) and while I am still making adjustments to my technique I am going to agree with Wal about the "pan with a large bottom will out pan one with a small one, every day of the week,".
I found that while the 14" processes more material due to corner depth, ye old cake tin seems to just make the separation faster.
I didn't scuff my black pans but after a few hours use the sheen did seem to 'dull' and was easier to manage.
Cheers.

I have to agree to Wal on this one, The Super Sluice is the go for sure and soon enough the new looking Garret will rough up enough to do the job.
I still have the old steel pans from when I first started out. Also a pan which has a good size "bottom" is to me essential as to get that swirl happening.
Those cheap black pans I use them for ant capping on the shed, nah not really but you get the jist.
Wife lady is heading to the "States" in a few weeks and she is getting 2 more Super Sluices for the kit.
As far a i am concerned the Green Super Sluice is the only way to go.
Cheer and Happy Hunting
Brad....

Yes, I have to agree with Wal and Brad, In the short time i have been panning, I have gone from the basic black 13" pan to a super sluice, I don't think I will try anything else for working in the creek or the back yard, the deep riffles trap everything, I have used a safety pan at home and tried to get some very fine gold out of the super sluice and it did not happen.

The super sluice will take a bit of getting used too, but once you are confident on the use, you will fly through the big stuff till your down to your concentrates.

The top two tips I can give are:

1. Do not over load the pan, I usually use a 1/2' or 1/8' sieve and only go 3/4 full.
2. Do a very good stratify at the start (at least 30 Seconds side to side round and round back and forth) and you should be good to go.

The only down side is they are a bit heavier than a "regular" pan and if you are panning for many hours you may end up with stiff fingers from the way it sits in you hand when down to the heavies...
As far as roughing up the pan, just run a few pans of river gravel through to take the shine off and you should be good to go.

I have a small 10" Garret clean out pan that I use also, this works ok, but you still need the big base of the Super Sluice to get the swirl going, practice practice practice and you will get better every pan!

Good luck

Tone

Latest posts