Speeding fine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guess a lot of us have had one or two or more ......... :D :D :D

Got one in the mail today ..... :mad: :mad: :mad: $317 & 3 x points

90 kms in an 80 km zone , possibly roadworks

On the way to Deni. To an 80th for lunch .......

Wonder how much for a heavy vehicle ...

1523327879_0f7851e8-7569-407e-af15-08391c4a1da4.jpg

Nah mate no road works, All level crossings on regional roads are now permanent 80kmh speed zones. The Bagshot level crossing has had that camera there in place for years so I'd say you had a laps in concentration. Your right though we've all had a blister like that in the mail :N: my wife is an expert at having them delivered :rolleyes:.

Would appear from the wording, heavy vehicles ( trucks, semis, b doubles etc ) fall under a different ticket and fine. Your twin cab is not a heavy vehicle as the ticket states, exceed speed limit in a vehicle other than a heavy vehicle, which would be cars, Utes, motorbikes etc.

Many level crossings have slower speed limit, many drop from 100 to 80kmh.

Not sure of fine in Vic but in Sa that's about $280 bucks worth. :mad:

I got my first one in twenty years a month ago and honestly thought it was a cheap way of paying the get there on time tax , with any luck i only have to pay it every twenty years.
Highway patrol got me and i was pulled up before he could even turn around , he looked a bit dissappointed he didnt get to rev the guts out of his car :lol: he thanked me for stopping so quick , but i knew i was gone before he put the lights on only 12 kph over too.

after my son was coward punched and had plates in his head i was taking him to hospital to have them checked
about 2 weeks later it was 78 in a 70 zone
hate the mailman sometimes they have no trouble delivering letters like that :mad: :mad: :mad:

You guys in Victoria get a bad deal from your traffic cops. In NSW our cops give you a 10% leeway on your speed so if you stay under 110 in a 100 zone you are fine but you may get a wave to slow down from some cops. If you do get booked you can have it waived if you have had a clean driving record for 15 years, you just have to check a box on an online form. It's all about revenue in Victoria, in NSW it has a bit to do with revenue but most cops display a little common sense.

I feel your pain!!

The other day I got one in the mail 63 in a 60, God i get pissed.......

While I was driving trucks I had a highway cop write me up for 102 in a 100, I challenged it and won, the truck then had 6 safety checks in 8 weeks after the court case.......on the same highway....funny that :eek:

All level crossings in Vic were speed limited to 80kph on regional roads after the tragedy of the Kerang level crossing accident that claimed 11 lives. The driver of the Semi tried to race the train which ended in the above loss of innocent people. Any fine is painful but when the fine is legitimate it should act as a reminder.

In Victoria you can apply for an official warning if you're less than 10km over the limit (used to be <15km). I got off a Victorian one coming home once they got me at 115km in a 110km zone. The Victorian highway patrol officer explained that he had no choice but to book me but told me about the official warning system. From their website:
Victoria Police said:
alleged speeds of less than 10 km/h in excess of the posted limit may be eligible for an official warning if:
(a) No speeding infringements, safety related infringements or official warnings have been issued to the driver in the previous two (2) years; and
(b) The criteria for Good Driving Record are satisfied

I was always under the impression that there was some leeway with the highway patrol but definitely not in Victoria! They aren't allowed to use judgement whereas in NSW they are but it can vary from officer to officer depending on circumstances. There is no official 10% leeway either. From the NRMA:
NRMA Wade O'Leary on 13 March 2017 said:
Is it safe (ie. I wont get booked) to go 10 per cent above the speed limit? Alicia C asks.

The simple answer is that its not safe for a number of reasons and that there is no official 10 per cent tolerance, but it is true that NSW Police can exercise judgement in a way their Victorian counterparts cant.

NRMA has learned key factors NSW Police take into account when enforcing speed limits are driving style, relative speed, traffic behaviour and road conditions.

For example, an aggressive driver who is tailgating at slightly more than the legal speed limit will almost certainly to be booked for both offences.

Police will also enforce limits more strictly if conditions are compromised, such as in roadworks zones.

But a motorist who is, for example, driving smoothly and at a pace consistent with traffic flow on a 100km/h-limited stretch of road yet is found to be proceeding at several kilometres per hour above the legal limit may be allowed to proceed if officers judge that there is no danger posed.
There is a tolerance set into speeding cameras in NSW but they won't say what it is in the "interests of safety".

You can also apply to have a fine reviewed in NSW if you have a 10yr good driving record & the fine is for less than 20km over the limit.
Office of State Revenue said:
Request a Review
Seeking consideration of a 10 year clear driving record for a traffic offence.
We cannot consider a clear driving record for parking, non-demerit or serious traffic offences, such as a school zone offence, speeding more than 20 km/h over the limit or driving while using a mobile phone.
I recently wrote in an application request for review for my wife & they waived her fine all good :Y:

The 10% leeway given by NSW cops is not official but I have several family members in the Force and they tell me it is an accepted practice.

On a related topic a friend of mine is an ex Chief Superintendent of Scotland Yard, he said some years ago they opened a tunnel in London and to keep the speed down they fitted speed cameras. After the first month they were getting so many speeders it was causing a backlog in the processing department so they raised the speed on the cameras to 30kph over the speed limit. They still kept getting a large number of speeders so they just turned the cameras off and left them there as a deterrent.

mbasko said:
In Victoria you can apply for an official warning if you're less than 10km over the limit (used to be <15km). I got off a Victorian one coming home once they got me at 115km in a 110km zone. The Victorian highway patrol officer explained that he had no choice but to book me but told me about the official warning system. From their website:
Victoria Police said:
alleged speeds of less than 10 km/h in excess of the posted limit may be eligible for an official warning if:
(a) No speeding infringements, safety related infringements or official warnings have been issued to the driver in the previous two (2) years; and
(b) The criteria for Good Driving Record are satisfied

I was always under the impression that there was some leeway with the highway patrol but definitely not in Victoria! They aren't allowed to use judgement whereas in NSW they are but it can vary from officer to officer depending on circumstances. There is no official 10% leeway either. From the NRMA:
NRMA Wade O'Leary on 13 March 2017 said:
Is it safe (ie. I wont get booked) to go 10 per cent above the speed limit? Alicia C asks.

The simple answer is that its not safe for a number of reasons and that there is no official 10 per cent tolerance, but it is true that NSW Police can exercise judgement in a way their Victorian counterparts cant.

NRMA has learned key factors NSW Police take into account when enforcing speed limits are driving style, relative speed, traffic behaviour and road conditions.

For example, an aggressive driver who is tailgating at slightly more than the legal speed limit will almost certainly to be booked for both offences.

Police will also enforce limits more strictly if conditions are compromised, such as in roadworks zones.

But a motorist who is, for example, driving smoothly and at a pace consistent with traffic flow on a 100km/h-limited stretch of road yet is found to be proceeding at several kilometres per hour above the legal limit may be allowed to proceed if officers judge that there is no danger posed.
There is a tolerance set into speeding cameras in NSW but they won't say what it is in the "interests of safety".

You can also apply to have a fine reviewed in NSW if you have a 10yr good driving record & the fine is for less than 20km over the limit.
Office of State Revenue said:
Request a Review
Seeking consideration of a 10 year clear driving record for a traffic offence.
We cannot consider a clear driving record for parking, non-demerit or serious traffic offences, such as a school zone offence, speeding more than 20 km/h over the limit or driving while using a mobile phone.
I recently wrote in an application request for review for my wife & they waived her fine all good :Y:
Hey MB

I've been aware of these rules, in Vic the same thing exists (don't quote me - I maybe wrong) but I think that if you have lost your licence recently (5 years) you are screwed!! How do I know that???? I'll let you guess......

Bazz said:
I feel your pain!!

The other day I got one in the mail 63 in a 60, God i get pissed.......

While I was driving trucks I had a highway cop write me up for 102 in a 100, I challenged it and won, the truck then had 6 safety checks in 8 weeks after the court case.......on the same highway....funny that :eek:

Hey Bazz, what pissed you off, the low tolerance 63 in a 60 or the fact you got caught? Was it a patrol or camera? In SA the new Liberal government is doing an audit on speed cameras to ascertain if they have been located as revenue raisers or as speed detergents, fines in SA are the highest in the nation.
Offence Legislation Expiation fee*
by less than 10km/h
$170
2 by 10km/h or more but less than 20km/h
$371
3 by 20km/h or more but less than 30km/h
$754
5 by 30km/h or more but less than 45km/h
$900
by 45km/h or more
This offence will also incur automatic loss of licence for six months. Police may also wheel clamp or impound an offender's vehicle.

There is a 3km speed allowence in vic for mobile cameras and 2km allowence for fixed camera's.
I know if its your first offence in a long time you can write a sob story letter and sometimes get off.

I know speed kills and all that but some of the posted limits are crazy stupid. Give my autobahn limits damn you ]:D

Yes it was one of those brain fades , now knowing its a rail crossing doubly so.

There is certainly cause for infringements to be high with the sad statistics .

The fine is buddy high , but I guess NSW is higher ...?

In regards to revenue , My caravan costs $58 to register a year , in fact any giant trailer , gooseneck, caravan etc. under 4500kg costs $58 to register in vic.
No pink slip , roadworthy required ever , even upon sale ...! Although yearly RWC check ups are a good thing , Im glad its not here in Vic.

Latest posts