Some finds turn out better than first thought.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On the weekend I took a mate out to a site I'd been detecting.
While detecting I noticed a marble sitting on top of a recently dug hole.
The rain the night before must have washed the dirt from it and made it visible.

Its the second marble I've found at this site, the first one was cool but nothing special.

My mate had a giggle at my excitement over a marble, but after my research I conducted on my first marble I knew some were actually valuable, and I noticed what could be what the marble guys call a "pontil" mark, meaning handmade.

Thanks to a helpful guy on a marble forum, it turns out to be a Codd marble.
http://devonseaglass.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/codd-bottles/

1401061142_image.jpg

1401061308_image.jpg

It pays to keep what you might think is nothing.

I love this hobby :)

Damm i found a codd marble the other week, its sitting on my kitchen window ledge. BUT i cant remember where i picked it up, either out walking the dog or fossicking somewhere.

If you happen to find a complete bottle, they are a valuable find.
But as lots of kids smashed them to get the marble they're very rare to find complete.

There is an area at the site that was obviously a dumping area when the homestead existed, it's so congested with targets and junk I nearly gave up on it.
Every dig is full of broken pottery, glass and China pieces.

I'm considering digging it completely up and seeing if I can find some complete items, also curious how deep it goes, could be some really cool stuff at the bottom.

It's the same patch as I found this guy, a spout from a victorian decanter.
1401180371_image.jpg

Latest posts