Snake bites a dope on the road

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like it or not mbasko, its the truth. Believe what you will mate, it is very concerning to me that my information is just being laughed at. If I wanted to talk rubbish ill go back to helping a plumber.

This is safety, your safety. Not mine. I do not talk lies, myths or utter rubbish when it comes to safety especially.

Why am I being abused for supplying correct information explaining to only use the guides as a guide and to be open to any other misshap!

How many first aiders and neuro surgeons have been bitten or encountered by an attack? Were talking about avoiding a bite before those types even become involved and they are no experts in bush or animals like the information ill be getting today.

But quite frankly it seems its not even worth mine or his time to go and do that if everyone already has thier oppinion on snakes and knows exactly what to do.

I hope you never end up in a situation where this info was needed. I'm not one to mess about with safety, especially others. Be open to the fact anything can happen at anytime no matter what type of expert you are. I'm done explaining fact here if its going to be laughed at and its not worth these personal pokes imo.

Does common sense tell you not to wear long shirts while using a lathe, to grind gunpowder with wooden tools, to drive a car, to arbor a tree...

I'd do anything possible to save anyone's life no matter what. Sometimes common sense just won't have an answer. When Tathra said he would take off a limb, I believe him and I would let him do it in an instant if in need with a rock if he had to. There is nothing more comforting and trustworthy than this information, I wish I had a 24/7 tathradj next to me out the bush

Find an answer about cow attacks and farmer deaths in your own time. Don't get me going. Its fact. I'm sure you could get killed by a bloody finch if you swallowed one and choked ya to death ..but no one would believe that either

By the way mbasko, I never said anything against your information supplied about limph system poison etc.. I never said I didn't believe or disagree with that at any time.

OK team. Time to pull the horns in a bit. It's fine to discuss things but remember that opinions are like backsides... everyone has one. I does not mean that my opinion is more or less valid than yours. Sometimes we have to agree that we can't agree on some topics.

We can all agree that the definitive book on how to react to a snake hasn't been written yet so there are plenty of theories.

I see no one being abused but it's getting close. Can we stop the references to foul language as well thanks guys.

Cheers

Ramjet

Definately not abusing you AR & no malicious personal poke intended (only a little ribbing with the cow thing - you've got to admit it's a pretty unusual & bizarre occurance :lol:)? I know cows attack mate - you should see the angles my Uncles Murray Greys can swing a hoof when calves are at foot.
The limb thing, well it's a difference of opinion mate - I felt a need to say something. I cannot & will not ever agree to severing a limb due to a snake bite. To me it belongs in the garbage with the "cut & suck" method we now know doesn't work on Aussie snake venom (but does with USA snakes).
I'll leave it there - horns in Rog!

Personally, I think you should treat every encounter with wildlife on its merits.
If you sence that an animal is aggressive, then it probably is. if a snake is moving towards you, move out of its way. if its moving away from you, then stay out of its way.

Same same with people. If its aggro, and moving towards you.....

davent said:
Personally, I think you should treat every encounter with wildlife on its merits.
If you sence that an animal is aggressive, then it probably is. if a snake is moving towards you, move out of its way. if its moving away from you, then stay out of its way.

Same same with people. If its aggro, and moving towards you.....

Simple, sensible. :D

Goldtarget said:
How long before a black snake bite before fatal?
It's those tiger snakes I don't trust as far as I could fling one, aggressive little devils. Love the channels around here as much as I do during summer and they aren't big on visitors.

Could not agree more GT , as far as this thread is concerned it has made interesting reading and highlighted by our diverse individual thoughts on how to deal with our slithering friends which in most cases has been formed by real life situations. I will leave the first aid to the experts of which I am not but ANY info of actual events can only help to broaden our knowledge. Over the years I have had 4 situations with snakes which required action all different.
1 ). fishing on the Murray as a lad , snake would have missed us by 20 yards but changed its direction and came swimming straight at us and tried to get into our tinnie . This bugger meant business no doubt about it until whacked by old Pop with a paddle yes it was a Tiger
2) had a family of Red Belly Blacks decided to breed under our outdoor spa , didn't know until we sold the spa 4 men picked it up to move and out dropped mum and half a dozen young ones , scared the tripe out of us but they all just wanted to get away ! No harm done seemed very timid and went on their way .
3 ) big Brown literally trying to squeeze inside our screen door and get inside our house , dispatched with a shovel
4) not 1 year ago while detecting , straight across my coil , still don't really know if a black or brown but once again just wanted to get away , he went his way and me mine to change the jocks.

Point being, just like people , imho snakes are all different as is each situation

Cheers

The topic of snakes brings memories of mum chasing them around the yard with a shovel. :D
I hate the bloody things... all of them. Of course our youngest daughter had them as bloody pets. 8.(

Tathradj said:
Mate, I visited Carpenter Rocks a few years back and I tell you what,
Is no way I would go sneaking around the sand dunes late afternoon.
Bloody Inland Tiapans every where. (Black Tiger Snakes) :eek:
And they don't give ground either. :mad:

Chewy said:
We get a lot of tigers down here. Very anti social bugga's.
Yep. Thats where Mrs Chewy lived for while to. I used to live at Pt Macdonnell about 30 clicks away towards the vic border. Lots of swamp land and sand dunes. Used to go running around everywhere at night with scouts. But we were pretty lucky looking back on it. Almost stepped right on a black snake once running thru the dunes near the Woolwash. I discovered I could fly that day as I retracted the landing gear and sailed over the snake. :eek:

I hadn't thought I mightve needed to explain about when or where to wrap a limb up, but no I wasn't suggesting to amputate from just any ol bite. I meant as in amputate for a non-lymph bite that's spreading with infection / bacteria as a last resort type thing. If no emergency is around and I'm in the middle of the bush for days with an infected bite, I would amputate and courterize.
I was simply meaning to apply constant pressure by 'tieing it off' in my first post on the thread, and its gotten mixed along the way

Foxtel ( Animal Planet ) on now , 10 deadliest snakes . South Africa 2000 reported snake bites per year for 250 deaths reckon we are going OK here in OZ probably due to good education.

Cheers

Unless a snake is in my house yard, I'll try my best to leave it alone. If it is a danger to my children or my dog, I'll gladly kill it. Other than that I'll respect the fact that I have entered the snakes domain and let it be.