Show us your Gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10687436_10202539471917600_4345266891639968781_o.jpg

A colourless topaz from gulgong NSW so clear you can read the paper through it :)
Am looking for some one to cut this and a lovely green stone I have

Nice finds Bunyip, Gulgong seems to be a very interesting area for a fossick, looking forward to getting out that way sometime soon. Please report back on the Green one if you get it identified.

Turns out the green stone is a sapphire very rare for tge gulgong area especially the fact that its 53 carat stone omg im chuffed az thanks to gold689 for the awesome advice and tips about gems i just hope all my clients go home as happy as i do love my job :) weekend ever we seen a pink sapphire come out on saturday at the most awesome spot and then sunday we seen a cudgegong ruby .. very bright indeed :)

I was gonna say that green one looks similar to my green saph. Please consider getting it heat treated before cutting if there is any silk in it!!!

Im rather lucky it looks very transperent in its entirety but unfortunatley im still learning a lot about gems as gold was my addiction until i found my first good gems :)

The purple one was a jellybean quartz untill we attacked it with a dremil drill and cut it into an octaheadron was only a coincedence it had amythest hidding in there ..

Bunyip, thanks for sharing those great pics mate.

The green sapphire is indeed very rare for the area or so I was lead to believe, I think I read somewhere about some instances being found toward Home Rule? The water worn nature of it sure looks like it's spent some time being washed around.

Great finds mate, I never thought to look around Gulgong (which is a shame cos it's not that far from the Hunter) as I thought the gold was all trapped 60 metres underground in deep leads and I didn't know about any decent sapphires out that way. I knew of the Cudgegong rubies and diamonds but again I thought they were all tiny. That green stone has me salivating to get back out that way and have a decent poke about - except for the fact that I have no idea where to start not having researched that area...

Oh well, guess I am gonna have to pore over some maps....

Were you on private property?

If that is indeed a green saph, it is a world class size I would think. So please be very carfull in what gets done to it as it could be worth a decent amount if it turns out ok.

Ditherer and Son said:
Bunyip, thanks for sharing those great pics mate.

The green sapphire is indeed very rare for the area or so I was lead to believe, I think I read somewhere about some instances being found toward Home Rule? The water worn nature of it sure looks like it's spent some time being washed around.

Great finds mate, I never thought to look around Gulgong (which is a shame cos it's not that far from the Hunter) as I thought the gold was all trapped 60 metres underground in deep leads and I didn't know about any decent sapphires out that way. I knew of the Cudgegong rubies and diamonds but again I thought they were all tiny. That green stone has me salivating to get back out that way and have a decent poke about - except for the fact that I have no idea where to start not having researched that area...

Oh well, guess I am gonna have to pore over some maps....

Were you on private property?

No i wasnt on private property but unfortunatley u need permission to fossick there witch i always obtain first you are slightly correct in thinking most of the good gold us up to 60mtrs down but there are a few spots were the old leads were forced up to the surface or remained as shallow leads and the streams of today cut through some of those leads and well the gems cant be to small if im pulling out 150 carat topaz and other nice gems .. the sapphire is most definatley a rare find as the sapphs here are blue cashmire tiney stones or 5-6 carat yellows but reports show all sorts of unusaul finds if ever you head this way and cant find your way around ive just started taking tours around the area can either point u in the right direction or put u right on top of them :) gulgong is a very historical town with so much to see n do for all :)

If its clean and a proven sapphire make sure a professional cutter cuts it for you as a good cut and weight return will make this a retirement stone to quote a few others on the forum. I will cut it for you. I don't usually offer as Im always working, but this is an important piece.

I have held Bunyip's green stone and it could quite possibly be a sapphire. Because its so water worn I could not accurately identify it for him but did suggest he does a specific gravity test on it. I thought at first that it may be topaz, but either way its a high quality stone that the photo does no justice to.

Bunyip is a good bloke and will help anyone, he deserves it to be a "retirement stone" :D

To me it looks too nice to be a raw green sapphire, I hope I am wrong! And Bunyip Id be happy to make a trip out there, Jukebox has already been telling me he wants to get out there and I told him the extra hours drive may be worth it. Our last trip to Grabben Gullen had us praying to the gem gods why we had been so cursed!

do sapphires water wear? ive pulled sapphires from the same creek some being sharp and pointy and some being round, being the hardness they are i would be extremely dubious of any water wear. doesnt look glossy enough for me id say topaz but then again who knows till its tested.

Yep fingers crossed but does look too nice, no chips or fractures. Would be sensational if it was, regardless a great size piece of green something!

Water worn ,.,.,.,

This term is hard for me to cop!!

I no nature is a strong beast , but if you can't scratch a sapphire ,only with a sapphire or diamond,and to tumble a sapphire and make it smooth and shine,you need dia dust and along time rolln , well yeah , did these water worn smooth gems get water worn in a see of DIAMONDS ?

Any explanations ,ideas or articles to help me understand .

Very nice find there ,green gem ,and 50 carrots ,wow
Any chance putting some light through it and post a pic
Thanks...

Varts.........

how bout when rocks cut holes in bed rock going around cutting slowly long shot I know but if it had other gems in hole nature is comes up with strange things :)

Latest posts