Show us your Gemstones

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it always seemed a bit weird to me that different colours could predominate in different areas of the same field, sometimes only hundreds of metres apart. Our old claims at Russian gully were at the opposite end of the field to where we currently are and a large majority were blue. In this new spot, I've found one single blue stone and everything else has been a green/teal colour. I've also heard that an area exists there where yellows predominate.

Gemzilla got these Yellowish ones from the tourist pile at BB when we were there in November, the tourist pile usually reflects what the mine owner is digging, they are usually varying shades of Blue or Blue Green but this area he was onto had quite different colours than usual Bluey Greeny Yellow. They were great quality going by the smile on Bill the owners face after cleanout for the day. Some days the tourist pile there does produce some very nice stones, we were digging for the retirement stone in the creek that day......... :( After my mate and I finished for the day we went up to the tourist area and everyone was showing off all their nice stones. :( :(

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1685&p=39

I think topaz as I understand the gem layers are very old so is Australia mountains rise and fall in the time the sapps have been around so very hard to say what has happened or not Australia has not always been an island we have been part of super continent once things change over time so do lengths of rivers I think we see rivers today cutting old river beds from ancient times giving up only a little of what is buried that is what keeps me dreaming of what is undiscovered the last frontier for little people to explore ;) ;) ;)

Here's a couple of photo's of a large piece of Smokey Quartz that I found a while back. The photo's don't do it justice, the stone has around 1/3rd that's clear gold colour with no fractures, and looks beautiful when looked through held up to light.
1421126976_drgsmokey1.jpg

1421126976_drgsmokey2.jpg

Cheers

Very nice Oldfella. :)

My bet is that somewhere in the Lowmead area will be larger, better crystals and clean material like this - going on the enormous crystal behind the bar of the Lowmead pub and a few chunks of almost clean massive smokey I have found - but exactly where that might be is unknown to me. Almost certainly somewhere off limits to fossicking of course.

Thanks Lefty :) I found this near Guyra a while back along with some very nice darker smokies. If I can take some good photo's of them I will post them.

Is that in the New England area Oldfella?

I like those specimens - very unusual shape to them. :)

Latest posts