Fossicking for Gemstones - Tips for Newbie

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm from Sydney and completely new to fossicking and mineral prospecting, but I do have some basic knowledge of geology.
I stumbled upon the idea of fossicking a couple of days ago and thought it would be good fun with friends - finding cool gemstones to keep (not to sell).

We are thinking of potentially driving away for a day or two to a location around 2-3 hours around Sydney to go fossicking/fossil hunting, etc.

I was wondering if there are any starter tips around fossicking that we should be aware of, such as around:
- Locations around Sydney (e.g. Oberon) with abundance of gemstones/larger crystals
- Any safety concerns we should be aware of -> is fossicking in shallow creeks dangerous?
- Anything we need -> do we need to buy a rock pick? Is a sieve and a shovel all we need?
- Are we allowed to dig up rock to look for larger, unweathered crystals (hopefully found in pegmatites)? Or can we only look for crystals already deposited in rivers?
- Is it worth it to try and contact local mines/quarries if we're allowed to go and dig through their waste rock for crystals (would it be safe?)

Thanks so much in advance!

Last edited:
Hi Footy,

Sydney way here too and complete newbies also. Welcome to the site. Seems a few nice people here 🙂

We have done a couple of excursions now, and found nothing spectacular, it had a lot of fun poking around and just being outdoors in general.

We went to Oberon. Porters Retreat, because we didn't need a permit (we have one now). It has been gone over pretty well. Need to push further from common area.

The creek/river there was pretty safe, most creeks are I think. Just gotta keep and eye for snakes!

We are only rolling with a bucket, shovel and sieves at the moment. The most common gear I guess.

Good luck in the gemstone hunting 🙂

Justin & Mary...

Last edited:
Tool-wise the only other thing I carry that I recommend is a 5ft fencing bar, makes breaking up tough ground 1000% easier than farting around with a shovel or pick, smash the ground up with the fencing bar then shovel and sieve to your hearts content!

Thanks so much guys!

Hi Footy,

Sydney way here too and complete newbies also. Welcome to the site. Seems a few nice people here 🙂

We have done a couple of excursions now, and found nothing spectacular, it had a lot of fun poking around and just being outdoors in general.

We went to Oberon. Porters Retreat, because we didn't need a permit (we have one now). It has been gone over pretty well. Need to push further from common area.

The creek/river there was pretty safe, most creeks are I think. Just gotta keep and eye for snakes!

We are only rolling with a bucket, shovel and sieves at the moment. The most common gear I guess.

Good luck in the gemstone hunting 🙂

Justin & Mary...

What different areas are there in Oberon that aren't gone over well? I'm guessing places like the designated Fossicking Reserves aren't worth going to, but I'm not sure if there's any places that aren't 'common areas' but also legal for us to search in.

Hi mate, as a beginner i'm not too edumacated yet on this myself.

But, as I see it the public areas are for those that don't possess a fossicking permit. So every man and his dog can go there. If you have a permit you much more freedom to explore the lesser worked over areas, or even venture out and find a new spot.

There are so many rules and red tape though. If I was thinking of an area you are not sure about I would drop a thread in here and get some advice. Definitely don't want to get busted fossicking a spot you shouldn't. For your sake and all the people that are doing the right thing.

If you haven't found it already, you can get the fossicking permit here...

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/apply-for-a-permit-to-fossick-in-a-nsw-state-forest

Cheap as chips!

We are looking for some places that are a round day trip from Sydney. Will drop a thread here later of that topic.

Justin & Mary...

Don't forget that the gravels in rivers and creeks get reshuffled and replenished with every flood. Upstream hillsides and riverbanks are eroded and fresh material is washed away by the rapidly flowing water. For fossickers, a place that seemed well gone over and barren last visit, might be a happy hunting ground after the floodwaters subside.

Latest posts