Shoalhaven River height at Oallen Ford NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ET Digger

Andrew
Reaction score
Hello Gold chasers,

Just wondering if anyone has been down to Oallen Ford in the past few days and could post an update of the river??
If it's flowing or not due to recent rains etc...
Thinking of heading down for a pan :)

O and I won't be leaving rubbish, I'm not a slob :)

Hi There,

This water gauge is a few k's upstream from the ford itself, at this height it will be very close to the bottom of the bridge, I would excercise caution as it can rise suddenly particularly if there has been heavy rain in the shoalhaven or Mongarlowe river catchment.

1395992202_oallen_20140328.jpg

see also the post https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=62145#p62145

rgds
Barry

Anyone heading to the Forde tomorrow. Mate and I will head there for the day for a dig. Not sure of the water height but it doesn't really matter given the gold wash is all over the place.

Was at Oallen Forde today and it is definitely in flood. A couple of the guys were there testing out their highbankers and a test pan shown to me definitely showed some good colour. I think I should start making a highbanker of my own and take the van there.

Hi all, Having never been there before and wanting to check the place out do you Oallen 'locals' just hit the area above and below the bridge on the Oallen rd or do you spread both ways a fair distance and if so how far - Kings highway to Nerriga Rd?Cheers and appreciation in advance and happy to return the favour

Not sure mate never tried there, you can be assured that nearly every weekend someone will be there having a go. Probably always a good chance of bumping into a forum member there.

Paydirt said:
Hi all, Having never been there before and wanting to check the place out do you Oallen 'locals' just hit the area above and below the bridge on the Oallen rd or do you spread both ways a fair distance and if so how far - Kings highway to Nerriga Rd?Cheers and appreciation in advance and happy to return the favour

Hey Paydirt,
It would be better if you watch the charts up river from Oallen, the one at Fossicker's Flat and be aware of any rainfall up river from other areas.
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDN60144.html
At the moment the water level is above 1mtr, play it safe and stay close by the bridge. Use a stick in the edge of the water to indicate any rise or fall.

If you are coming through Braidwood, take the Kings Hwy back to Canberra for a quick look at the Shoalhaven at the Kings Hwy bridge.

The Wollongong radar is currently showing more rain on the way, it is raining at the moment here in the Illawarra.

BTW, when are you planning to go to Oallen, hopefully I will be there during the week for an overnight stay, levels depending.

Peter. :cool:

Cheers for the feedback people, won't be up try my hand the infamous Oallen flower for a while yet, locked in to visit Drake, Adelong, Yambulla and Tuena over next two weeks - the sickness is turning into a........
Do hope to get there soon though, sounds like a pretty social place to share the passion with likeminded people
loving this forum

Hi Mate,
Looking to have my walbanker ready for the Easter Break.
You mentioned Yambula. PM me if interested. :) :)

Paydirt said:
Cheers for the feedback people, won't be up try my hand the infamous Oallen flower for a while yet, locked in to visit Drake, Adelong, Yambulla and Tuena over next two weeks - the sickness is turning into a........
Do hope to get there soon though, sounds like a pretty social place to share the passion with likeminded people
loving this forum

Just a heads up for the lads heading to Oallen today
The river is up around 800-1000mm than usuall
There is a few punters there but not crowded

We had a run up there for a 4wd Sth of the forde
And a rough crevice pan sesh

We found some colour but more importantly showed my 10yr old step daughter
4wding
Crevicing
Panning
And the big of the shiny stuff

She reports that she will never forget this day
The first of many I assure you
1397728893_image.jpg

Hey everyone,
Just checked out the BOM site and the Shoalhaven has risen a little but the is storm activity around the Braidwood area. So be careful of a quick rise at Oallen, it can do this without notice.
ATM, it is only .60, which is just above the hgt when the gathering was on. Predictions are for more rain in the coming days.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR032.loop.shtml

Hope that some of this actually getting out west where it is needed. Colours are showing up on the radar, but how much rain gets to the rivers ???

Today will be the third day of Thunder Storms for us in the Illawarra.

For all that wish to venture out this weekend on the Shoalhaven beware that there has been a big jump up to 1.23 mtrs at Hillview. And with the radar showing more blue, expect that it will rise even more.

Be safe and watch out because it can come up very quick at Oallen.

Latest posts