Seeking advice with choosing between MXT Pro and X-Terra 705

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with heatho, the old man has a Garrett 350 ace to start with and I had the 705 and both were great starter detectors. I the end we both put a lot of hours in with the same result of learning how to detect with a price difference or $500 between the 2. They both found coins. I have now upgraded to a detector that is a dedicated beach detector because that's the type of area I have found I enjoy the most. Don't think about how fast it will pay itself off but more the experience you will gain from the machine and work from there. Hope this gives a different perspective on what detector you will start with. The other thing I wanted to add is if you don't like the machine you start with you can always sell it and buy something different

daruthe said:
I have made the decision to get my first metal detector. I first wanted to get one to use for gold hunting, but quickly realised due to limited travel options, that if I got a dedicated gold detector, it would sit in the cupboard more often than not. Since I live near plenty of beaches (a 15 minute walk to the closest one), I added treasure detecting to my list of requirements.

I read a lot of reviews and watched what feels like a 1000 YouTube videos. From that research I became aware that no one detector will do an excellent job at all types of detecting - just like the saying, "jack of all trades, master of none".

I have now narrowed down my possible purchases to the Whites MXT Pro and the Minelab X-Terra 705 (dual detecting pack).

Before I make my final decision, I am hoping PA members who have used these 2 detectors can give me their opinions based on their experiences.

If I may let me give you a different perspective.

I have owned and used a Minelab Soveriegn, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher CZ3D serial 1021 tuned by Nasa Tom, GTP 1350,
Tesoro Vaquero and a couple of others.

I am going to be honest with you here. Focus on one type of detecting. Nuggets found by machines running under 20 khz can be found with the
Minelab PI's hence you have competition looking for these small nuggets and the issue with dealing with ground noise.

Having used most brands I love the Tesoro they make a super light weight detector but you need to get the right model for your hunting type.

For old deep coins in normal or moderate mineralised soils I prefer my Fisher cz3d which has been tuned in detecting dimes at just under 12".

What would I buy if I was coin detecting in general? I would buy the Tesoro Golden Umax. It has everything you need as a coin shooter.

The Umax with the discrimination features and its time saving abilities is in my opinion simply brilliant.

Not sure if this model is still being made though and if buying a detector I would suggest buying a 2nd hand unit unless buying it on special

so you don't lose that $200 off new price.

If buying from the USA you can use a service like shipito which will deliver you the parcel once it arrives at its US base.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxz6oueP4t0[/video]

Hope this helps.

Good luck with it.

Latest posts