Opinions on a new detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Harry and Grub much appreciated. I took it out the backyard of our massive 450m2 block 🤣 and turned it on changed the volume and played with sensitivity a bit that was all. But my son said can I have a go and he found a target straight up 🙄 ha ha. Our home was only built 2 years ago. Think it might be off the guttering or something?

Attachments

• 20230814_205017.jpg
    20230814_205017.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 1
Wet out to a local park sandpit last night. I won't be posting small stuff in future. Just wanted to put up the 1st finds on the detector. :) Was great fun! Dug some deep holes to nothing that I now realise were very jumpy target ID'S ha ha. Living and learning. 😀👍

Attachments

• 16920512764273396378082933848047.jpg
    16920512764273396378082933848047.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 2
Yeah Jaros, fair question.
I had the same question a little bit ago. My figuring is as it's treasure hunting eg. coins/ relics and jewellery, not fossicking for minerals, and there are no signs posted, I figure I'm within the rules of the Queensland fossicking act. I have purchased a license for future activites eg. searching for gold/ fossicking with the family somewhere down the track.

I made sure (about a month before getting the detector) I called the local council here in accordance with the act. They said no excavation in parks, and a 5 select ones no metal detecting. My thinking is if I was disturbing the earth and "excavating" say the park itself like the dirt and grass where there are sprinklers and tree roots etc. I think I would be in violation. But for the sandpit my argument is; if a child or adult was digging in the sand pit and returning the sand back over the hole dug with spade and shovel, is me using a beach scoop "shovel/ spade" to do the same thing, is that excavation?
I'm never really 100% sure that someone couldn't come along and try and fine me. But all I'm hoping Is my logic is sound.

I did go during the night as I didn't want my 1st dig to be around a lot of people and of course no kids running around the sandpit. I've got kids and wouldn't want to be "That Guy" who is a stranger amongst others children and starts interrupting others' fun.

I think it would've been a funny sight too for any detectorist, watching me trying to figure out how to turn the backlight on on the legend ha ha. And then learning by feel (in the dark as I had the control box protector cover on) where the settings, volume and other buttons were. Using my phone light to gain some vision. 🤣

Thanks Grubstake and Jaros. Always keen to listen to others input, learn the rules and make sure I'm not breaking them. Don't want to ruin it for others either 😀.

Thanks Grubstake, good call and point taken 😄. I did have someone in a Chrysler 300c drive by 3 times in 5 mins. Probably wondering what the heck is he doing. I was trying to avoid that night prowler look by going to a park where the were no cars or homes within 100m of where I was, but, I agree. Could still look quite suss.

Went really well. Found a few coins, bangle and a bullet. First time out and only out for about two hours. I was really surprised how well it went and all targets were very loud and between 8 and 10 inches down. Very easy to setup ( I just turned it on and put into beach mode). Real value for money and the build quality was great.
I actually took it up with me to detect some really trashy areas the gpx6000 struggles and found a nugget I dropped a few years ago and could not find it. The nokta found it and grunted at all the rubbish. I was very surprised. The gold mode with the small coil runs well but only found a dropped nugget. But still love my gpx6000 however, the Nokta now comes with me. cheers hopes it help. But for $1200 it is very good value for money and loads of extras for your money.
Hi again Harry. Just wondered if you'd be willing to give me a quick rundown of what settings you have for gold hunting. I'm looking to go out this weekend and have a look see but don't have a clue what to start with. I'll have the 6inch coil on too. Only if not too much trouble... thanks in advance either way 😀

Hi again Harry. Just wondered if you'd be willing to give me a quick rundown of what settings you have for gold hunting. I'm looking to go out this weekend and have a look see but don't have a clue what to start with. I'll have the 6inch coil on too. Only if not too much trouble... thanks in advance either way 😀
All default gold settings. With small coil no other changes.

Latest posts