Seeking advice with choosing between MXT Pro and X-Terra 705

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have made the decision to get my first metal detector. I first wanted to get one to use for gold hunting, but quickly realised due to limited travel options, that if I got a dedicated gold detector, it would sit in the cupboard more often than not. Since I live near plenty of beaches (a 15 minute walk to the closest one), I added treasure detecting to my list of requirements.

I read a lot of reviews and watched what feels like a 1000 YouTube videos. From that research I became aware that no one detector will do an excellent job at all types of detecting - just like the saying, "jack of all trades, master of none".

I have now narrowed down my possible purchases to the Whites MXT Pro and the Minelab X-Terra 705 (dual detecting pack).

Before I make my final decision, I am hoping PA members who have used these 2 detectors can give me their opinions based on their experiences.

if your keen on beach detecting try looking on ebay or gumtree for a used minelab etrac a great detector had mine for a year mostly used on the beach wet sand & parks.get a weather proof cover a ultimate coil for it, and ya good to go,just my 2 cents.(btw the xterra & MXT are gonna struggle on the low spots in the wet sand so they are dry sand only machines.)

705 is fantastic machine I have older version (the xterra 70) & have learnt how to use it, I now feel like it is just part of my arm. I can use on wet sand but it does take experience.
The 705 or any other machine for that matter is only as good as it's user.
I have also used the Garrett at pro & it is good also, but I have only used once.
One time we were out as a group, a father son team in a treasure/token hunt was using a white's but not but not sure of model (but thought it was mxt) , the son dropped it from about a foot to the ground in excitement and the pop rivets holding control box to shaft popped out leaving control box hanging by the wires. I was not impressed with it or any of whites land machines ever since that day. However I do use waterproof models. Have not used MXT & my opinion is everyone will try to tell you the machine they use is the best but ultimately you have to decide for yourself. All of the leading coin machines in this price bracket perform very similar & will pay for themselves if you are willing to put in the time & effort.

yeah the 705 will go on the wet sand but your not gonna get anywhere near the depth on targets like the bbs or fbs machines they are multi-frequency detectors that punch deep in the wet sand,i have gone on hunts with people with 705's they could not even get a signal on targets i was hitting.for example i was hitting over 12 inches down in the wet sand on a florin, you would not like to be missing those targets with a 705 would you.so just stick to the bbs or fbs detectors if your serious about hunting on the beach.

So much to learn - a tad overwhelming. Until you mentioned them Dan, I don't recall reading anything about FBS or BBS technologies - time for some more reading :D

I would definitely be able to find a florin in wet sand at over 12 inches maybe the people you were with didn't know the machine as well as you thought. Also if you are after depth then I wouldn't use either of these. For depth Pulse Induction machines are better but then they don't discriminate as well. Then we have the other problems of digging for a target in wet sand over a foot your whole need to be about 3 foot wide to get down 1 foot.

While depth is great, I'm mainly interested in a capable machine to lose my green status on, and budget is also a major factor. I've observed that pulse inductions tend to be rather pricey in comparison to VLF's. I have a definite price ceiling, and the MXT Pro is pushing it hard.

dave14110 said:
I would definitely be able to find a florin in wet sand at over 12 inches maybe the people you were with didn't know the machine as well as you thought. Also if you are after depth then I wouldn't use either of these. For depth Pulse Induction machines are better but then they don't discriminate as well. Then we have the other problems of digging for a target in wet sand over a foot your whole need to be about 3 foot wide to get down 1 foot.
I am talking about black sand on low spots on the gold coast mate last year when we had a one in 20 year erosion there 705's had no chance in that environment no matter how good you think you are, the only VLF machines that could handle that black sand was the bbs and fbs machines.single frequency detectors are very limited in those conditions. Also had some of my best finds hunting on beaches with a lot of black sand there.

daruthe said:
While depth is great, I'm mainly interested in a capable machine to lose my green status on, and budget is also a major factor. I've observed that pulse inductions tend to be rather pricey in comparison to VLF's. I have a definite price ceiling, and the MXT Pro is pushing it hard.

It is best to save up a bit longer and get the best detector, then to get a cheaper detector (single frequency ) that's going to miss a heap of good finds in the black sands.

A great starting off detector would be a Minelab Sovereign GT there going used on ebay/gumtree for around the same price as a 705 and it has bbs tech so your going to get some great finds on the wet sand and dry sand.also these are great detectors,Minelab Explorer SE (fbs tech),Minelab Excalibur 1000(bbs tech),Minelab Safari (fbs tech).

Get anyone of those and you can not go wrong, I got great results with my minelab e-trac with over 1000+ hours under my belt smashing the erosion on the gold coast so I know what I am talking about, these detectors are easy to learn.
hope this helps.

As I said early it comes down to personal preference. Some of the machines mention above are much harder to learn as a beginner, as a result it means you will dig lots more trash.

I guess it's a lot like any tool. A master carpenter can get a lot more out of a few hand tools than a newbie with the best high tech wood working tools.

I'm not expecting art from my first machine, just need something to cut my teeth on and make sure I want to stick with detecting without a large capital outlay. And based on my research so far, both these machines will do that. Long term though I have my eye on a 5000 and will get a second dedicated beachcomber (have not really looked that far ahead yet).

dave14110 said:
As I said early it comes down to personal preference. Some of the machines mention above are much harder to learn as a beginner, as a result it means you will dig lots more trash.

A Minelab Sovereign GT is one of the easiest detectors to learn, as a beginner you are going to dig trash no matter what detector you own its part of learning the machine and what the tones are telling you. All the detectors I mention are user friendly, just some people are not taking metal detecting seriously enough and do not take the time to learn a detector properly and give up.

daruthe said:
I guess it's a lot like any tool. A master carpenter can get a lot more out of a few hand tools than a newbie with the best high tech wood working tools.

I'm not expecting art from my first machine, just need something to cut my teeth on and make sure I want to stick with detecting without a large capital outlay. And based on my research so far, both these machines will do that. Long term though I have my eye on a 5000 and will get a second dedicated beachcomber (have not really looked that far ahead yet).

The best Philosophy is to listen to someone who has been there and done that ,a major mistake is thinking you know better cause you watched a few you tube videos or read this or that. No research can replace in field detecting experience that's why people come here to ask the experts.

$400 for a used Minelab Sovereign GT is not a huge out lay plus your going to get more finds then a single frequency unit. If you think I am wrong then prove it with your research .I will be waiting right here! :cool:

dan24k said:
The best Philosophy is to listen to someone who has been there and done that ,a major mistake is thinking you know better cause you watched a few you tube videos or read this or that. No research can replace in field detecting experience that's why people come here to ask the experts.

$400 for a used Minelab Sovereign GT is not a huge out lay plus your going to get more finds then a single frequency unit. If you think I am wrong then prove it with your research .I will be waiting right here! :cool:

And listening to the advice of people is precisely what I am doing, regardless of what you may have gleamed from the very words words I've put to post, however when I get different advice from different people, both suggesting the best detector, I have to make my own judgement call. I am a huge believer that the only real way to learn something is by doing - which is part of the reason why I went to get a detector that may not be the best now - I can a cheaper detector and hit the ground and start getting real world experience.

as Priviously stated you are the user it is your choice daruthe. I never said the Xterra is the best & will never say any detector is the best. I think the xterra is a great start because it's easy to learn & relatively cheap, Anaconda have sales & the 705 can be brought new for $690 with warranty. I don't recommend buying secondhand unless you have someone that can look at and test.
I was told by dan24k what me & my detector is cable of doing. Which I don't appreciate when I have done things with machine & I get told it can't be done. I have worked wet black sand on beaches & found plenty.
That to me was insulting or saying I am lying.
So as said before you buy what you would you think. You are the user & it is your money.
This is the last time I am going to try to help anybody on this subject. Because someone nearly always tells other what can or can't be done with a machine. Oh & I also have many many hours of experience.

daruthe said:
dan24k said:

And listening to the advice of people is precisely what I am doing, regardless of what you may have gleamed from the very words words I've put to post, however when I get different advice from different people, both suggesting the best detector, I have to make my own judgement call. I am a huge believer that the only real way to learn something is by doing - which is part of the reason why I went to get a detector that may not be the best now - I can a cheaper detector and hit the ground and start getting real world experience.

Daruthe, the 705 is a really good detector, depth is not everything either. I went for an early beach detect with my GPX 5000, wanted to go deep and see if there was anything, only got junk. Then 1 hour with the Aldi in the evening and got $20 in goldies and that nice ring elsewhere. Every good target was only 2 inches down. 705 punches pretty deep anyway.

The 705 will keep you very happy on parks and beaches, just get a good pinpointer too and you are set. Learning your detector too is essential for tricky environments, there will be hunts where you just get junk and then it will pay off all of a sudden.

Get an Aldi detector too if you can find one, they seriously rock for parks.

Yeah, in all the posts where I've see these Aldi detectors mentioned, I've read nothing but good things for what they are

The truth hurts sometimes guys, I call it as i see it so if you do not like it then go buy your aldi detectors and leave the serious detecting to me and others in the know, you guys are to touchy. 8.(

At the risk of jumping into a heated debate I would like to make two points regarding a new detector. Firstly if at all possible see if anyone can give you some time on the machine you are interested in, or possibly hire, better to have some real time experience to get a feel for the machine, you might be surprised at what you glean good or bad, and give you a few clues to which way you may ultimately go. The second is don't forget that just about any machine will need to be learnt, but more importantly you are about to embark on a wonderful hobby that at times may be frustrating and overwhelming, but almost always above all else rewarding no matter what you choose. I hope whatever decision you make you have many great finds.

dan24k said:
The truth hurts sometimes guys, I call it as i see it so if you do not like it then go buy your aldi detectors and leave the serious detecting to me and others in the know, you guys are to touchy. 8.(

Truth is Dan that my Aldi job has earned me almost enough in the last month (about20 hours) to buy whichever detector I need for the beach, Deus, E-Track, Excalibur.....

Even if I bought 1 of these other detectors I'd still use the Aldi on parks, they are next to useless on the beach if hunting deeper than 15cm but deadly on grassed areas.

Glad someone is doing a serious job of it while I'm out there just buggering around. :D

Latest posts