Scales to weigh your gold - advice please

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Lenton....don't need to spend heaps on a set of digital scales these days, as they're all accurate enough to weigh gold and gems. We use Gemcuts ES series 300 gram. They measure in Grams./ ct./ oz./ gn./ ...and only cost $35. Google up Gemcuts Lapidary and you can check out their range....Cheers Wal. :)

Jump on Ebay - search "carat scales" They cost between $7.00 & upwards. I have bought a one for $12.00 which included postage. Turned up within 2 weeks. Great for my faceted stones

Yea i got my scales from ebay for about $20 delivered. I made sure they had the measurements i wanted grain,gram,ounce, dwt and ct. I also checked the accuracy so mine will measure to 0.00g rather than 0.0g , so i can get an idea what the tiddelers weigh :D

Thanks for that link Simeon.
Are they good quality scales?

I bought some scales off eBay ($16 delivered) & they seem to fluctuate the weight a bit. Eg: one piece may weigh in at 0.56gram, next time it weighs in at 0.59grams or 0.52grams.

I weigh my gold 5 times & pick the mid weight recorded. If selling I'll record the lowest weight as not to cause problems with the buyer.

A scale that you can manually calibrate with calibration weights seem the goods tho...

Dear Experts

Friend of mine using the Regal Digital Pocket Scale same to the one in the link below :

hxxxxxp://www.onlinesmoke.com.au/smoke-accessories/scales/regal-digital-pocket-scale.html?adult=YES

He likes the design of it , but I feel this is not a branded name ( I could be wrong), means it isn't that accurate

I am looking for him a branded name that has a precision (0.001gm) scale , similar to the above one ( i.e same size and design).

Through my google search I found below but not sure about them :

hxxxxxp://www.esslinger.com/grobet-precision-pocket-pennyweight-gram-carat-scale.aspx

hxxxxxp://www.ourweigh.co.uk/pocket-mini-scales/on-balance-dy-50-digital-pocket-scale.html

Thanks

Time to start thinking about buying some scales to weigh the small specs the SDC is locating. Any suggestions on what are reliable and accurate scales worth looking at please.

Anything cheap on eBay will work fine - using anything like that just needs consistent temperature once they are calibrated ... i.e. always measure at about the same temp as when they were calibrated.

When you get one do a test calibration with a known accuracy weight now and then to make sure that you are close to the ball park. Mine came with a test/calibration weight and others will as well.

If wanting to measure fly sh!t type you will need something with several decimal points of resolution. I think that most have units with 2 dec points from what I have seen on the forum, mine is 3 and seems repeatable. Different people will suggest either what they have or what they believe is the best, I say like Marked, just pick one at a reasonable price and resolution from the Web and it should be fine. That is what I did and no probs so far.

Rob.

Thanks to you both. Wasn't aware temperature needed to be consistent Marked, good info, and yes PP, i would like something that can measure fly shite as that's what i'm mostly finding. But hopefully the bigger specs will come with effort.

Our own decimal coinage is good to verify the accuracy - find some relatively unworn ones; googol brings up their mint weights easy enough if you search for them.

My first set went haywire, second set is still ok but most are under $20 bucks so no dramas really. I got the more sensitive ...up to 30 grams model to two dec points and a calibration weight.

The only issue I have had, works great on the alluvial "less than a gram stuff", but when I wanted to weigh a 100 carat stone (about 35grams) it could not, and to do a specific gravity test one also needs a bigger scale.

Id suggest 2 scales, a sensitive one for the sub gram stuff, and a general larger one in case you find a speci and need to do an SG test with water, cup and string.

I'm always dubious of the scales that indicate they measure big and small stuff.....Maybe someone has a scale that does both scenarios ok.....?? You don't want to be putting a .77g nugget on a scale and it reads 1gram if you know what I mean.

What i'm detecting at the moment is definitely sub gram Twapster, so i think i'll buy some sensitive scales first up and if and when i'm lucky enough to get something bigger i'll look at buying another set. I wouldn't mind being in a position where i need purchase another set to be weighing heavier than 30 grams in one nugget!

Latest posts