Seeking advice on first detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pleased to meet you all, my name is sticks and i live in Darwin NT. Looking to buy my first detector for gold hunting and would appreciate some advice. My price rang is around $1000 - 1500 and seems like gold monster 1000 or garret AT would suit but advice or recommendations would be very welcome.

On a recent trip to the NT I was surprised to see the amount of people using the Gold Monster and finding gold. I've always seen this detector as a bit of a toy but obviously that's not the case. It works very well finding small gold on previously worked areas. I don't think it's the sort of detector you'd buy if you intend to go searching new ground for gold. For that you'd do better to keep an eye out for a previously owned GPX4500 of GPX5000 that would likely come with a lot of accessories.

On a recent trip to the NT I was surprised to see the amount of people using the Gold Monster and finding gold. I've always seen this detector as a bit of a toy but obviously that's not the case. It works very well finding small gold on previously worked areas. I don't think it's the sort of detector you'd buy if you intend to go searching new ground for gold. For that you'd do better to keep an eye out for a previously owned GPX4500 of GPX5000 that would likely come with a lot of accessories.
Thanks for the info 👍 i would love to get that calibre detector but my wife would kill me if i spent that much

Lots of gold monsters down here in Victoria for sale second hand on gumtree and marketplace, “used once or two times”. Make of that what you will.
My recommendation always go with the technology and that is PI. A used 2300 might still be over your budget but getting closer. And also remember a good machine is an investment and can always be resold whereas bad machines may be more difficult to do so.

Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by previously worked?

Pleased to meet you all, my name is sticks and i live in Darwin NT. Looking to buy my first detector for gold hunting and would appreciate some advice. My price rang is around $1000 - 1500 and seems like gold monster 1000 or garret AT would suit but advice or recommendations would be very welcome.
A second-hand used GP 3500.

Latest posts