Rare Earth Magnets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you mentioned crush injuries...
My niece thought it was fun to play with some magnets I have - they are cool to play with until you get some skin jammed between them & then all hell breaks loose! She had a blood blister for weeks in the webbing between her fingers..
I get my (rare earth)magnets out of old PC hard drives. Easy to acquire & stupidly powerful for the size they are...

Does anyone have info on where to buy rare earth magnets and what pulling power, shape, etc. do they recomend?
If using in water, would they be placed on inside or outside of scoop? What does everyone think

I have plenty of them from from computer hard drives.. Pm me if interested, I can send pictures to if you like

Ive bought several off ebay after watching utube vids on making ur own black sand separator from pvc pipe or conduit but thus far none have been strong enough to pick up the sand through the pvc. Reading back through the original ads they dont actually give a strength but on their own are scary strong and ive hurt fingers and knuckles several times...not to mention had a couple shatter after placing them too close to each other and them 'colliding' is there something better to make a black sand separator from than pvc? or are the magnets simply not strong enough? What strength is recommended? As i say im a little wary when using these ones any stronger i think id be a nervous wreck haha

Millions on ebay , think they are 35 or 51 strength , I got 20 of the 51 strength ones , cheap as chips , can buy bulk lots of them if you want .

Y4k , try getting a pop top M&M mini's container and some or the round ones to fit it , haven't tried it on black sand , but will go through the top of a little wooden box and pick up metal objects inside when sat on top of it.

Think I paid $15 for 20 of them delivered to my door , can lift a machete and 2 bayonets pretty easy , too cold to go out the shed and find something heavier to lift , :lol:

And I definitely need a new webcam , pics not the best :8

Awesome tks guys, appreciate the advice will look further into it. Picking up machetes and bayonets certainly sounds strong enough, so far ive only tried one or 2 magnets together but maybe i should be combining the lot...to the shed!!

Number one rule of powerful magnet......NEVER get your fingers in the way!
Well, guess what this fool did. Tip of left pinky finger got stuck in between two of them. I knew to be careful but still, I got bit.

Good for tricking through the table magic too, or for placing something on your hand and having it stay there when you turn your hand upside down. :D

We often use them to hold the tarp to the skin of the bus when we need a bit extra shade.

1478188017_extra_shade.jpg

They will anchor the tarp down in all but the strongest wind. If they do let go you'll see us both wandering about with metal detectors looking for something other than gold ;)

Can anyone tell me is it worth using a magnet when working in a junky area, to clear the area of any magnetic rubbish, then working it with the detector afterwards. I'm thinking a magnet on a stick, if it worth doing this, would the magnet upset the detector? This is possibly a really stupid question, but thought i'd ask anyway :eek:

Works great, except for aluminium. And there is always a lot of aluminium.. oh and maybe copper.. and tin...lead... you get the drift

But it might help a bit. I have one on the end of my pick. Just in case....

Latest posts