Rare Earth Magnets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if feromagnetism was an important contributor to noise, I can see how to filter that signal component out almost completely

I have a rare earth magnet screwed to the end of each of my pick handles (1 smaller pick and the bigger one for deeper digging).
I generally carry the pick in a leather holster on my harness, but sometimes over the shoulder.

Under normal circumstances I carry my wallet in a front trouser pocket, but when out detecting I leave my wallet behind, cos it has all my debit cards as well as others with magnetic swipe facilities.

Reason; if you get a rare earth magnet too close to your cards, they can scramble if not wipe the card data strip. Not a good thing to occur when you next go to a servo, fill up and can't pay for the fuel :)

Re keeping the magnet clean, I've seen some use them in pill bottles, or the "old" plastic 35mm film containers. Wrapped in Glad Wrap and a rubber band, even seen one on the pick handle with a Condom covering it.

Regardless of being on the pick blade, pick handle or in a container in a pocket, don't get them too close to plastic cards or other sensitive devices, i.e. mobile phones, laptops, etc. That cheap little magnet can cause very expensive damage.....

Edit..... If the area is very "junky" in particular ferrous, throw a DD on and discriminate :)

malri_au said:
this is a good convo actually,because it brings me to another point of detectors,which is voltage and battery mods.

we've all seen what happens when more power is able to be used,increased depth.

so my question is,'how big are your batteries and what volts do they out?'

the other thing I want to throw out there is using an oscilloscope to visually see what the signal looks like.

not enough money yet to fund my crazy science.one day.

The bigger they are the harder they hurt to buy - but what about rechargeable lithium ion cells ( big one will run a pump non-stop for 16 or more hours and fit in your pocket, while still being low enough Wh (e.g. 80) to be allowed in an aircraft....). I recharge them solar or from 4x4 socket.

condor22 said:
I have a rare earth magnet screwed to the end of each of my pick handles (1 smaller pick and the bigger one for deeper digging).
I generally carry the pick in a leather holster on my harness, but sometimes over the shoulder.

Under normal circumstances I carry my wallet in a front trouser pocket, but when out detecting I leave my wallet behind, cos it has all my debit cards as well as others with magnetic swipe facilities.

Reason; if you get a rare earth magnet too close to your cards, they can scramble if not wipe the card data strip. Not a good thing to occur when you next go to a servo, fill up and can't pay for the fuel :)

Re keeping the magnet clean, I've seen some use them in pill bottles, or the "old" plastic 35mm film containers. Wrapped in Glad Wrap and a rubber band, even seen one on the pick handle with a Condom covering it.

Regardless of being on the pick blade, pick handle or in a container in a pocket, don't get them too close to plastic cards or other sensitive devices, i.e. mobile phones, laptops, etc. That cheap little magnet can cause very expensive damage.....

Edit..... If the area is very "junky" in particular ferrous, throw a DD on and discriminate :)

A point i made separately in my blog on magnetism and mineral identification on this site - yes, I have to swipe now, my chip is cactus (and I thought I was careful)

now say we start talking a VLF like my bounty hunter quickdraw,it uses 2 x 9v.

now i'm not sure if those are in series,or parallel.I would assume series for longer usage and the fact minelabs baddy is only pushing 7.2v.

goldierocks said:
I may be talking through my hat in arguing from theory - can anyone tell me ("you're up yourself goldierocks!")?
We'll just call you toenails then... and leave it at that. :lol:

condor22 said:

Very interesting thanks condor22, I'll try a DD coil as well. :Y:

silver said:
goldierocks said:
I may be talking through my hat in arguing from theory - can anyone tell me ("you're up yourself goldierocks!")?
We'll just call you toenails then... and leave it at that. :lol:
Mayhap that's go-in a bit far ! :lol:

WELLLLLLL That only took 6 freaking weeks for them to arrive frim China??!!

I ordered these magnets online on the 5th Feb and waited and waited, then I began to doubt whether I had actually ordered them at all as I couldnt find an email saying where I'd ordered them from. :|
Then decided I'd had another mad moment and hadn't actually bought any at all and gave up waiting for them.

Ta freaking daaa they show up today, I've been playing with them and I've broken the thin rectangle ones already, as they smashed into the bigger one. Didn't mean too, they're just out of control. Amazing things, magnets.
I'll try some magnet fishing in our creek and dam and attach a couple to my rake and pick and see how it all goes.
I cant remember what the pull is on any of these magnets either but it dosen't matter. Nice surprise in the mail today, lol :D
1521263168_image.jpg

1521263169_image.jpg

Flowerpot said:
WELLLLLLL That only took 6 freaking weeks for them to arrive frim China??!!

I ordered these magnets online on the 5th Feb and waited and waited, then I began to doubt whether I had actually ordered them at all as I couldnt find an email saying where I'd ordered them from. :|
Then decided I'd had another mad moment and hadn't actually bought any at all and gave up waiting for them.

Ta freaking daaa they show up today, I've been playing with them and I've broken the thin rectangle ones already, as they smashed into the bigger one. Didn't mean too, they're just out of control. Amazing things, magnets.
I'll try some magnet fishing in our creek and dam and attach a couple to my rake and pick and see how it all goes.
I cant remember what the pull is on any of these magnets either but it dosen't matter. Nice surprise in the mail today, lol :D
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11771/1521263168_image.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11771/1521263169_image.jpg

FP, do you have a special use planned for them, or did you get them just on spec for possible uses? We need to remember that these "are earth magnets" are made from an alloy of special materials and the more powerful they are the more brittle they are.

Rob P

Hi Pablo, I bought them to attach to a rake and a couple to add to my pick. just to assist when detecting really junky areas. :Y:

Latest posts