Home made pick.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have made a couple of prospecting picks. This one is made from an old Kubota mower blade, (good hard steel), a piece of steel tube and a nice piece of fiddleback timber I turned on a lathe. It may be a little heavy for some, but that makes digging easier. Also has a rare earth magnet screwed to the end of the handle.

Attachments

• Pick2.jpg
    Pick2.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
Hi Ghost27,
Out of curiosity only, why is the scrapper blade sharpened on the underside versus the upper side which is the norm?
To be honest, I'm not sure what norm is these days. If you look closely both top and bottom is sharpened. I don't think it really matters. Unless you use it to cut into something. I'll let you know the outcome.

it doe's not matter that much which side is sharpened ,top/underside if you are scaping sand /gravels even a blunt edge would work
if you are looking at a cutting edge(scraping weeds/grass of the top) it all comes down to the degree of angle on the edge and how sharp the edge is

the Gold Digger Picks I make and supply to the detector shops are sharpened on the outside, as the cutting blade is made from a plough disk and it has the sharp cutting edge on the outside, this seems to me to make the most sense, and when scraping the ground clean with the blade of the pick this actually keeps the pick sharpest, it kind of self sharpens that way

1688902722816.png
cheers dave

Hi Ghost27,
Out of curiosity only, why is the scrapper blade sharpened on the underside versus the upper side which is the norm?
So I've had some time to scrape around, the blade appears to be holding up, a few flat spots from hitting rocks otherwise it didn't appear to be any down side to how the blade was sharpened.

Latest posts