Rare Earth Magnets

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldbuzzhashit

Domanic
Reaction score
Question,

the rare earth magnets some speak of, where would you place them,
on pick head,
on end of pick,
end of pick handle?
Does it make much differents? :/

Ive made a small recess in the end of my pick handle and stuck it there.
When i get a signal [and i remember to] i turn the pick around and have a quick poke about.
Most of the times though i get too excited and start digging straight away... :D :D
But seriously its not a bad idea

i have mine in the center of the head of my pick i guess it comes down to where you want to put them cheers Terry

Same as TTT...glued to centre of pick face....they magnetize a larger area when in contact with the pick face. Usually picks the nails and tin during the scraping. ...Cheers Wal.

I have a magnet with a hole in it which I glued and screwed to the end of the pick handle. I was going to recess it but reckoned it was a bit big and would make the handle a bit week.

Rich

I have my magnet in the center of the head of the pick so I can collect junk while digging.

Most Dick Smith stores or Jay car stores have a decent range of rare earth magnets....be careful with them as they can snap easily...Cheers Wal. :)

Centre of pick head, but behind the front face, that way it's slightly protected and still really easy to poke it backwards over the first scrape.
Haven't needed to glue it or screw it on, just seems to sit there as they are so strong.

Yea i managed to get two magnets out of one of my broken hard drives i was about bin, they work a treat, though i only use them when cleaning consentrates. Keep meaning to take it out detecting but allways seems to get left at home.

I've been looking around for some myself and after buying some on ebay i found out what the "N" number meant. I bought N35 magnets then was curious and found that it's a scale representing what it's made of and the strength, i saw that they go up to N52 (strongest) so got a few of those, they are countersunk so you can put a screw into the pick head ( that's my plan anyway ) they come from a place in bris with a bit of a new-agey name of frenergy i think

Hey All :)

Quick question regarding the Use of Earth Magnets in your prospecting adventures.

Are they a good tool to have? I have a GPX4500, will it interfere with the detector if it is on or near my persons?

I hear they are good for removing ferrous targets from a hole. I have good access to them so will use if appropriate.

Does doubling them up increase their 'pull' by x2 or only by the actual thickness (say 10mm) that it sits atop the last magnet?

Thanks in Advance, Matt!

I have one on the end of my digger and haven't noticed any interference with Garrett detectors, I can't speak for the Minelab's though.

I'm not sure about doubling them up so we'll have to see what our magnetologist's have to say about that one :lol:

Latest posts