quiet pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Balx said:
I just bought exact same pump. Holy molie it moves some water. A little heavy but.
I am going to have a very serious look at my pump when it comes and service the begora out of it before we start/ use it...... I have been thinking about hoses to hook it up... I am going to make my own lay flat hoses out of canvas remnants... And some very large dia wheels fitted to save our old backs that will roll the unholy contrivance over big rocks ect with minimum effort.... The noise thing will be on my list as well... Another few beers and we will have things happening...Thank god for beer... :D

Yeah change the oil out as soon as you get it. I reduced mine down to 1.5". 2is a bit full on.

Yep we know the elcheapo pump will not last.. I think I will pull a few things apart and have a geek at them to make sure things are not going to bugger up because of bad assembly or lubrication.. I took the shortcut buying imported junk,I know the longest way to any end is shortcuts... But the budget says this is how it is going to be.. I will have to use all my old nouse to make things happen on my beer budget and keep it going.. OR I will not be able to afford the very needed cold beer after each days slaving in the big dark hole called life.... :D

Thanks duck... my esky already has wheels on it... I think you may be right about the handles but.. Yep I only do about 16 hrs to the gallon.. ;)

Hey kawman I was going to add two bilge pumps generally draw a lot less amperage than 1 large, and a car battery should be fine as long as you do your maths on the pump draw and battery capacity.

My advice to you about your eBay pump is get good quality oil, run it for a few days then drain and change it again you will be amazed at how little fuel they will run on when the oil is clean plus they are shipped with some really shitty oil. Hope you get the yellow to cover your new pump real soon

I am going to use my nice quiet bilge pump at home...I have found my 20 amp battery charger hooked up to the battery gives me all day use no probs ... :) I should have my pump in another day or two and we will see what kind of probs it will bring with it.. At only $157 delivered it will not have to last long to get my moneys worth.. I am going to save on the outlet hose by making it myself out of scrap canvas or pvc from my canvas business.. We will see how things go.. :)

I would not recommend a car battery, as car batteries are designed to deliver a large amount of power in a short time (i.e. to start your car) and should not be taken below 80% charged.
A true deep cycle battery is more suited to long periods of lower power and is designed to be taken down to 50% charge.

Au

Unfortunatly we have not been out panning for a while because my mate has been sick.. I have serviced the new pump and fired it up... there was little or no oil in it and it had fine metal in the remnants of the oil that are consistant with a new engine running in.. I will run it for a few hours and then change the oil again.. I have also added a drop of 2 stroke oil to the fuel for top end lube... I also removed the recoil starter and gave it a spray and reassembled it because it was dryer than a dead dingoes donger... now all we need to do is use it and see how long it lasts.. I will treat it like all throw aways and simply abandon it where ever we were using it if buggers right up and cant be repaired.. Pitty the poor bugger that finds it!! :) And we are going to use a long pole to carry it between us to lighten the load..simple.. :D

It has taken a while to sort out hoses ect for the elcheapo pump.. Another guy that bought one could not get the clunker to draw water.. Mine did not as well... both of the rubber gaskets on the pump housing leaked very badly and had to be sorted to get it to pump water... I have ran it for several hours and it seems to start and work ok so far.. :eek:
kawman said:
Unfortunatly we have not been out panning for a while because my mate has been sick.. I have serviced the new pump and fired it up... there was little or no oil in it and it had fine metal in the remnants of the oil that are consistant with a new engine running in.. I will run it for a few hours and then change the oil again.. I have also added a drop of 2 stroke oil to the fuel for top end lube... I also removed the recoil starter and gave it a spray and reassembled it because it was dryer than a dead dingoes donger... now all we need to do is use it and see how long it lasts.. I will treat it like all throw aways and simply abandon it where ever we were using it if buggers right up and cant be repaired.. Pitty the poor bugger that finds it!! :) And we are going to use a long pole to carry it between us to lighten the load..simple.. :D

Some of the new generation petrol powered generators are extremely quiet - my shopping list has a Honda "genny" and a couple of throw-away 240v sump/dirty-water pumps on it...

My old mate kevin has donated a very large deep cycle battery to the collection of junk and we now have both electric and petrol pumps.. Ran the 16 amp 3700 GPH pump for 4 hours easy in a test with the highbanker hooked up.. So far my whole out lay for all my prospecting gear is still under $500.. Some of us are on a beer budget and don't have the big bucks to afford the big brand items and will use anything that gets us by.. I like the idea of a nice inverter but it is way back on my list of things I need at the moment.. :)

kawman said:
My old mate kevin has donated a very large deep cycle battery to the collection of junk and we now have both electric and petrol pumps.. Ran the 16 amp 3700 GPH pump for 4 hours easy in a test with the highbanker hooked up.. So far my whole out lay for all my prospecting gear is still under $500.. Some of us are on a beer budget and don't have the big bucks to afford the big brand items and will use anything that gets us by.. I like the idea of a nice inverter but it is way back on my list of things I need at the moment.. :)

Hay Kawman,
Keep an eye on the Aldi catalogue. I bought my 1000w inverter there, can't be sure but I think it was $60.

Edit:- No I didn't, that was the previous inverter. This is my latest inverter.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1000-wat..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd1af42c1&_uhb=1
It runs my 550w bunnings submersible no worries. http://www.bunnings.com.au/products...ersible&searchType=any&searchSubType=products

Cheers
Mick

backcreek said:
kawman said:

Hay Kawman,
Keep an eye on the Aldi catalogue. I bought my 1000w inverter there, can't be sure but I think it was $60.

Cheers
Mick

when buying inverters , be aware that there are ;

true sine wave inverters
modified sine wave
and "chopped DC" inverters

If you're running a pump it wont matter , you could run the cheaper type.

If you're running electronic equipment , some things wont like chopped DC , modified sine wave is another story , the quality of output could vary massively and i DONT KNOW which equipment is safe to use and which isnt so i just went with pure sine wave for safety factor.

I got a few different pumps - one for every situation...

1st is my little Mitsubishi 2T pump weighing in at 5.5kg.
A little noisy but at that weight I can carry it anywhere.

2nd is a 5hp Honda/Davey pump combo. Big volume, quieter but need 2 people to carry it.

3rd is the quietest of all - an old Ajax pump

1377815824_image.jpg

Perfectly suited for kicking back in the garden, day dreaming about prospecting :D

Latest posts