Some days I should stay in bed.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moneybox

Philip & Sandra Box
Reaction score
Today was one of those days. I got out early, about 5:15am and arrived at the minesite by about 5:45. As I parked I swung the headlights across Tonka to see it standing there on a flat tyre. The same tyre that lost its air last week but today it was completely flat. The rims don't have a safety bead so when the air drops out the tyre comes away from the bead and they won't hold air unless the vehicle is off the ground allowing the beads to come against the rim again.

1643434923_tonka_1.jpg

I had all the gear because it was still on the truck from last week. I had the air compressor and the cheap Chinese diesel generator to run it. The generator wouldn't start so I ran jumper leads from the truck batteries but still no luck. I pulled the end plate off and tipped petrol on the air cleaner element but it still wouldn't fire. I had the little 12V compressor but it couldn't supply enough air to combat the leakage.

1643436377_ac1.jpg

I have a spare AC compressor that I always intended to fit to Tonka to give me air for tyre pumping, blowing out filters, running the rattle gun or whatever. The problem is that Tonka is now out on the minesite so I decided to go back home and fit the spare AC compressor to the Isuzu truck and then I'd have air supply wherever I had the truck.

When I got home and tilted the cab I realised I already had an AC compressor fitted so all I had to do was a little plumbing to fit an air hose. I made the fittings and went back to blow the tyre up but I couldn't get much air and these compressors can really pump some volume.

1643436094_ac2.jpg

After scratching my head for a bit I realised all the air was being pumped through the truck air-conditioning so all I had to do was kink the high pressure hose.

1643436270_ac5.jpg

As soon as I kinked the hose my air hose blew off so plenty of air now :)

1643435676_ac4.jpg

I just fixed that and it blew a hole in my air hose but I cut that short and managed to get some air into tyre.

1643436541_wood_block.jpg

This old block of Jarrah had followed me all around Australia for at lease twenty years but today it let me down.

1643436722_tonka_2.jpg

I had it on top of the jack but it suddenly let go and brought Tonka back to earth quickly but at least I had 10 psi in the tyre so I just had to keep pumping.

1643436870_bearing.jpg

I eventually got the dryblower up and running but it had a different intermittent vibration. This bearing on the wobble shaft has lost its balls so that was enough to send me back home :(

MB that's a Fuggit day :lol: Now it may get worse, if you tapped into High pressure side of air con system won't you have now de gassed your air con system in the truck into the tyre :awful: Just going on compressor oil from split hose is all ? Either or iether, bugger of a day bloke.

Diginit said:
MB that's a Fuggit day :lol: Now it may get worse, if you tapped into High pressure side of air con system won't you have now de gassed your air con system in the truck into the tyre :awful: Just going on compressor oil from split hose is all ? Either or iether, bugger of a day bloke.

Yes Diginit but I only have LPG in the system so not too hard to replace.

1. Does LPG work good in aircon ? ,
2. do you need to change oring types for LPG and totally clear system of air-conditioning gas ?
3. Would LPG work in old freezers ?
4. Would it be dangerous in a freezer with electric motor ?
Sorry for all the questions but you have got my attention.

Hahahahhahaha, gotta laugh mate!

I remember having a day like that last season, and I'm sure you laughed at me to Phil.....no hang on, it was the last ashes, not the one just gone!

Keeps ya occupied mate! :clap:

aussiefarmer said:
1. Does LPG work good in aircon ? ,
2. do you need to change oring types for LPG and totally clear system of air-conditioning gas ?
3. Would LPG work in old freezers ?
4. Would it be dangerous in a freezer with electric motor ?
Sorry for all the questions but you have got my attention.

I'm licensed to regas aircon but I don't know if I can buy the gas now without a registered and AC approved workshop so LPG is just a convenient alternative. Yes it works well without any changes whatsoever. I've never used it before because I've always had R134A but that was in a past life. When I got Tonka (the CAT 928F) loader from Alice Springs I asked the seller about the aircon. He said he'd never seen the door closed so he had no idea if the aircon worked or not. It arrived with no gas and some wiring disconnected. I did a simple evac and added a bit of PAG oil with the LPG and has instant cold air conditioning. I had no way of measuring the gas so I just went with the gauge readings.

I can't see why it wouldn't work in old freezers although the I believe TX (expansion) valve needs to suit the gas used. You need to be aware of the risk of fire if using LPG in an enclosed area and there'd certainly be a risk with leakage in any type of vehicle.

No the electric motor is not going to present a problem as long as the gas is contained.

Far out, my life is simple..... if the dishwashing liquid is not sitting in its spot on the corner of the sink(but a mere two inches over the back) it could throw me lol(maybe I'm not quite that bad lol). Good to see it worked for ya Moneybox, need to put something in the tyre that shows a color where it's slow leaking(does that tech exist yet ? ) :D

silver said:
Far out, my life is simple..... if the dishwashing liquid is not sitting in its spot on the corner of the sink(but a mere two inches over the back) it could throw me lol(maybe I'm not quite that bad lol). Good to see it worked for ya Moneybox, need to put something in the tyre that shows a color where it's slow leaking(does that tech exist yet ? ) :D

Take note, I just added fluorescent AC dye direct from the Isuzu. I'll just have to turn up at night with the UV lamp for the diagnostics :lol:

Nightjar said:
Nothing stops you MB, you are a master.
Take tomorrows adults, who don't even know where to find the fuse box in their car they've been driving for years or that you need to check the oil occasionally?

I think the saying is "Jack of all trades, Master of none" :lol:

But I did replace that broken bearing this morning and then I slipped off up a back track at retrieved these little beauties.

1643506292_balls.jpg

I wanted more for a new secret project but there was a bit of work involved and I really wanted to come back for a cuppa so the others have to wait.

Latest posts