quiet pump

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawman

steve wardle
Reaction score
I have been using a 3700 GPH bilge pump that I only get an hour out of the battery before it gives out.. I went with electric because it was cheap. $49 delivered...And very quiet.. I know most guys use a petrol pump.. How noisey are they.. I don't want to alert the locals that some crazed person is down in their creek... Need a really quiet one... Ideas please... :)

Most 2 strokes are pretty noisy and the quietest are the 4 strokes. Nothing is as quiet as a bilge pump though. A mate of mine has made a soundproof box with a few slots at the bottom and he puts it over his pump. If you're 10 paces away you can't hear the motor at all.

Another mate back in the dredging days had his exhaust modified and it went into the water a bit like an outboard motor set up. You couldn't hear that above water either, but it annoyed the crap out of us underwater. :mad: Just depends on how mobile you want to be.

Cheers Wal. :)

You can always set up a hand operated Jabsco Bilge pump or even modify it to a foot operation and then it will be as quiet as you like and requires only human effort to generate the flows required.

We use a dirty water pump that you empty pools with and a Honda generator
You can hardly hear it

Hay Kawman,
I have a similar situation to you, I have a house about 400 m from where I'm prospecting/working and I don't want to attract unwanted attention.
I have what I call my stealthbanker and I run a submersible 240 volt pump via an inverter which runs off an N70z deep cycle battery in my 80 series.
I run 60 m of extension cord from the truck to the pump.
Works for me! and it's quiet. The only noise is the water running and the rocks rolling off the end.
Ah the serenity!
See it running here on page 2 in my spa:-https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=640
and here https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=837

Cheers
Mick

We used to use air powered pumps sometimes in the fuel installations industry, they just hook up to a compressor and off they go, only problem though was the flow would not be consistant, maybe some newer ones out that would be. A lot of people with 4x4 usually have a compressor onboard, just a thought, still on first coffee so........ maybe not the best idea.

the bulge pump works really well
and i'm guessing you are using a car battery if you are only getting an hr out of it
either get a deep cycle 150amp or get yourself some solar panels
more to carry but you will get more than an hr out of it

XIV said:
the bulge pump works really well
and i'm guessing you are using a car battery if you are only getting an hr out of it
either get a deep cycle 150amp or get yourself some solar panels
more to carry but you will get more than an hr out of it
My pump draws 16 amps ... how long will larger deep cycle battery hold charge??? Will it run my pump for at least a few hours???? :)

Hey Kawman, I have the same pump. When looking for a battery to run it have a look at the Amps.

The formula is: Amp of battery / Amps of Motor = Amp Hours (Running Time).

For instance you know your pump is 16A. That is that it will draw 16 Amps of power to operate for 1 hour.

If you have a Deep Cycle 150Amp battery then the math is: 150A/16A = 9.375 A/H. I would round that down to about 8 hours of trouble free operation though as batteries generally don't charge all the way & you shouldn't run them completely dead.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Matt.

That is really good info... The 150 amp battery sounds great.. Could be fairly heavy to carry over rough terrain but.. HHMMM maybe a smaller version that will give say 6hrs or 2 smaller ones for ease of transport... I have a headache.. quick hand me a beer.. Need to think this over.. :/

I agree with the equation amp hours divided by amps used , but if you go to your local battery world they should have a chart that will tell you the time you will get out of your battery for the amps drawn, and it will be far less than what the equation will tell you, for example I have an electric motor for my boat that pulls 6amps, using a 100amp hour battery I should get 16 hours, I am lucky to get 8 hours.( the battery and motor purchased at the same time.)
Battery used is a 100amp hour remco and cost around $300, and extremely heavy not something I would like to be lugging any sort of distance.
Just my thoughts
cheers lab

Thats the problem the big amp batteries weigh a ton at over 30kg+ on average for a good 130amp or more deep cycle battery , so bugger lugging that over a long distance ...been there done that, broken back to prove it.

Balx the unit says:

DC Output: 12V/4A (including battery lead).

Do you know what this means? Will it not run the 16A bilge pump since it is DC? Seems odd that it can run upto 700/800 watts but not the Bilge..

Latest posts