puff or blow?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi , have been looking into the drywasher side of prospecting and seems to be two main approaches to the air supply
ie the continuous supply from a fan like a leaf blower ,or the puffing effect from a bellows.
the main differance in the few i've looked at is that it looks the blower type delivers high volume of continuous air and relies on the fan to "break it up" so to speak, and has an offset weight to cause the agitation to help move the soil and settle the gold as well as provide a "panning like affect" sway . this is enabled because the lower box is suspended and allowed to move .
the bellows unit delivers a series of short puffs of high volume air blowing the product up off the screen and allowing heavies to settle while the spoil carries on down the riffles with each puff.

So the blower has high volume air , agitation ,and the sway affect all working on suspending the soil and allowing the separation of the heavies

the bellows though , on the few i've looked at , the bottom tray is rigid ,attached to the legs , and so only relies on the puffing of air to do all the work ,with little vibration to assist ,or is this incorrect?

It would appear that the blower would have to be more efficient because of the combination of actions working together, But on the downside it requires a leafblower or centrifugal fan to operate and thus petrol ,noise , cost ,etc

the bellows would seem inferior But a few prospectors in the US still seem to prefer it so it must be doing something right . on the upside it would be quieter if run on small electric motor , and comparible weight of battery verse petrol motor

So after all that :D I would be grateful for any constructive thoughts from anyone who may have used either or both types of drywasher

I already have a suitable 12vlt motor and battery so thats kind of leaning me towards the bellows type in the hip pocket dept. :)
thanks for an awesome supply of knowledge and inspiration, hopefully I'll have more time (and result) to contribute
cheers

Hi Flashinthepan,

There is a topic over in DIY projects section currently dealing with this very same question. I am building a blower style at the moment which will be a clone of the Keen 140. I have used one of them once and was mightily impressed. The bellows style appeal to me in its quietness but processes less material than the blower type.

If you already have the motor and battery maybe your answer is sitting there in front of you. Obviously they both work and in the end I think it comes down to personal preference.

Cheers

Thanks MJB ,yes I have been reading that post which is what got me more interested ,but it doesn't really cover much about the bellows type, I had the motor and battery already, but would buy the stuff for a blower type if it was like chalk and cheese between the two.
cheers, fitp

g'day
dunno about the bellows type, but can tell you the keene 151 blower will hold very fine powder gold if
ran properly.
it blew me away ;)
regards tm

Hey Flash
I am a fan of the "Bellows" Type (Have not used one) I have used a 151 keene over a few days, & they do the job no problem.

I am looking at building an "Alluminium" Bellows "Dry Blower" actually 2 units, the main reason is for simplicity & quick set up time, one will be mounted on the back of my Quad & used as a sampling unit that I don't have to take off or just fold out & start running!!!
To me there is a bit of stuffing around setting up the 151, I am seeking to be able to move around with little effort.
The quietness of the bellows is a huge PLUS, no fuel, no oil, no servicing & the bellows unit is more compact which is a big deal.

There are ways to make a bellows unit vibrate it only takes a bit of thinking, I will be experimenting with the pulse speed to increase production, but I also feel there are more important ways to increase your "Gold" take & that includes effective sampling & sampling & sampling.

You are limited only by your ability, have a good look at you tube to get a better idea.
cheers
Lee

thanks lee, yes the portability and quietness are a big plus 4 me , when you say pulse speed do you mean the number of times the bellows operates ?
thanxs, flash

Latest posts