PI and VLF combo detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's consider for one small moment that the producers have actually considered this and bothered to build a prototype. Now I'm all for the idea behind but let's examine the shortcomings of doing such a thing, and why it hadn't happened as yet. First question is how hard is it to produce, and what value is it likely to recoup? The idea that one machine running two techs would be cheaper than producing two machines seems unlikely. But let's say its cost effective. Next instead of the end user potentially buying two machines they have to find a price point that encourages a sale in one go, but by nature we agonise over price anyway and i would think pick up the better single tech machine for less dollars and later by the other tech. See the issue for the company building it to sell it? Next each dual machine now has two independent types of tech that can potential go wrong and each tech must pass qa, but probably independent testing. So which qa guy does the retest? Next the buyer gets machine and beings machine back, because its not working for some reason. The poor old service dealer now has to check both techs, but it may not be the tech at all, just the user. And what of the user in the field? Are both technologies running simultaneously? If not that gridded pattern you just walked will need to be replicated to show any advantage. Is there interference or performance issues? Which tech is causing it? It all seems fairly straightforward until you realise the average punter prob doesn't understand the machine they have now as well a they should without adding another curve ball. I'm sure if someone out there could build it someone would buy it but in broad scale production and sales it seems awfully unlikely in my opinion, but hey i like the concept

(I'm still to have some tell me if the 2 detectors will interfere with each other.)

They don't mate - you can run them as close as you want - the only issue is if they get too close they will go-off for obvious reasons - they are metal after all. When digging into a reef etc, I use the VLF as a pinpointer - that way I can get really good depth - my arm length, plus the length of the detector and I can still see the screen OK. Yes, it can be a hassle carrying both but the Xterra 70 is quite light in a back pack and breaks down fairly flat and takes minutes to reassemble.

You would just need a "flip down" second VLF coil . The 6 inch DD is tiny, could sit tucked up and when you need to discriminate folds down just in front of the PI coil. Alternatively a quick release mechanism where your VLF coil is swapped over. Ive eaten burgers bigger than the coil so no a big weight problem to carry on you somehow.

Found these definitions - may explain the problem.

Very Low Frequency (VLF): a very low frequency metal detector, or VLF detector, features a search coil with an outer transmitting loop and an inner receiving loop. The receiver coil is shielded from the transmitter coil's magnetic field, but it detects the magnetic fields emanated by objects in the ground.

Pulse Induction (PI): pulse-induction metal detectors use the same coil(s) to both transmit and receive. A PI metal detector works by sending quick and powerful electrical pulses through its coil-usually about 100 pulses per second-each one creating a brief magnetic field. When a pulse ends, this field reverses polarity and collapses, causing a reflective pulse to run through the coil. If a conductive metal is present, the reflective pulse will take longer to disappear. PI metal detectors make excellent beach detectors because of their ability to ignore ground mineralization; ground minerals are poorer conductors than metals, and are thus less likely to interfere with the returning signal of a pulse-induction metal detector.

Twapster said:
Hi Guys, just throwing it out there...why is there not a combo detector? A VLF weighs bugger all, why would it not be possible to attach the mechanics of a VLF on say for eg: an older SD series and then have a good dual purpose machine that can discriminate and pinpoint, and nail deep gold nuggets?

Is the coil mechanism different or are they the same type coils. You could just switch between machines. Must be a reason why this is not a common modification. Would love to know if there's a reason why its not done? Anyone know..

:)

mu0u.jpg

This unit above I believe is from Europe. Not much info is available though.

I have read online due to the import restrictions on metal detectors in some European countries

the way they over come this is by building their own which turns out to become a Business.

Who knows what the future will bring.

If you can incorporate 2 technologies to develop a detector that detects deep with super sharp signals

that would be a bonus and possibly a game changer like what we saw in the 90's.

A patent has been applied for by a Popular USA manufacture of detectors.

You can read more about it below.

http://www.google.com/patents/US8629677

Bravo to you Twapster for thinking outside the box..

Some of the products coming out of Europe

Include the XP Deus, Detech Coils & Nel Coils.

There are some very clever people out there.

While there you go...I hope LEM 2 doesn't mean Lemon.

I'd like to see the bottom. Doesn't it use 1 or 2 coils?

Know that I think about it...I wounder it it actually works.

GOLD Billyen said:
While there you go...I hope LEM 2 doesn't mean Lemon.

I'd like to see the bottom. Doesn't it use 1 or 2 coils?

Know that I think about it...I wounder it it actually works.

Lol, large electron multiplier- although there is a large cultivation of lemons in Europe it does have the wrong colour :)

Latest posts