Best patch hunting combo.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just after peoples opinions as to their best patch hunting combos. Off to try some unproven ground, and need to cover a LOT of country. My detecting partner will be a 14 year old boy, with no previous detecting experience, but he is a quick learner and extremely smart. I will be swinging my 7000, and need a detector for him, as well as being a back up. He is only a slight kid, but very fit, and with a hipstick should have no troubles. The question is, I cannot justify or afford a new machine just for this trip, so I was wondering what people would choose in the second hand department. I still have a 12x24 ufo and a 14 coiltek dd from earlier years, so not sure if an sd gp gpx might be the go, or perhaps an sdc with the coiltek coil? People, please let me know your thoughts. Any combos people have had success with in the past? Open to all options. Cheers.

SDC with the 14x9 is not very ergonomic covering large amounts of ground, probably a lot better in open, flat areas, but I haven't found any of them in Tassie!

Just after peoples opinions as to their best patch hunting combos. Off to try some unproven ground, and need to cover a LOT of country. My detecting partner will be a 14 year old boy, with no previous detecting experience, but he is a quick learner and extremely smart. I will be swinging my 7000, and need a detector for him, as well as being a back up. He is only a slight kid, but very fit, and with a hipstick should have no troubles. The question is, I cannot justify or afford a new machine just for this trip, so I was wondering what people would choose in the second hand department. I still have a 12x24 ufo and a 14 coiltek dd from earlier years, so not sure if an sd gp gpx might be the go, or perhaps an sdc with the coiltek coil? People, please let me know your thoughts. Any combos people have had success with in the past? Open to all options. Cheers.
If you are in shallow ground a gold monster would be a great starter for him and also great for pin pointing as well. I had a sdc with the larger coil and didn’t find the coil was much better than the standard. But the sdc is also a great detector in shallow ground but a bit heavier than the gold monster. Both very easy detectors to use. If in Draper ground a 4500 minelab would be a great starter with plenty of coils to choose from but are heavier than the other two l have mentioned. Good luck

For a new starter we always come back to this question and the answer I always come back to is get a machine that will guarantee finding gold if it is under the coil.
A 5000 is a proven performer and readily available second hand. With a range of coils to cover small gold, deep targets and patch hunting it covers a lot of bases.
Nobody can guarantee success as so much depends on the operator but you can ensure that at least it is not the result of an inferior machine.
At the end of the day if lack of success or interest comes in, the expense can be recovered with resale value

The best patch hunting coil is the nugget finder 30x7 inch advantage. Very light and covers a lot of ground quickly.
If you can get one???

Photo of the skid plate.

Screen Shot 2022-06-24 at 10.38.16 am.png

Nugget finder will be releasing a 17 x 12 coil for the GPZ soon.
That will be an awesome patch finder.
An sdc with the 14x9 would be a great 2nd machine, especially in inexperienced hands.

My two bobs worth.... in the second hand market and as a backup for the 7k I would get a GPX4500 or 5000. Great machine and tried and proven, plus plenty around at the right price these days. I'd couple it up with 17x11 advantage coil as these are great ground coverage coils with sensitivity to both the small and larger deep targets. Being spoked they are also very light and easy to swing coil for a 14 year old. Either of these two machines will get your partner onto the good stuff and will have great resale value should you later opt for new machines.

Last edited: