people leaving junk behind

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, just a query is it the norm for people with detectors to leave there junk behind, 9 times out of 10 if i swing over someones scratching i find led shot or wire or what not on top of the ground. I pick every thing i find up and come home with heaps of crap every time. Very frustrating, would be so much easier if everyone took the rubbish they find.

Yeah, I certainly don't want to find the same bits of crap twice! All ends up in the scrap metal fund or the recycle bin. Waste not want not!

If I find junk, I put it in my pocket, and move on...
You never know, that tenth piece of junk could be a 3 grammer...
I must admit though, I did dig a hole once, about 7-800 deep, which meant it was nigh on at least that wide.... for a horse shoe..... took me 3 hours..
I filled the hole and left the horse shoe about 6 inches deep.... and stamped real hard....

It's normal in the sense that in every group of people you get some that aren't terribly smart, most of the gold I'm finding gives such a small signal it pays to clean out as many junk targets as possible. Where I've landed in the triangle the easy gold has definitely gone, but there is definitely good gold here for someone willing to work methodically, sounds like you've got the right idea.

Take heart and find glee that they have left behind that which masks the deeper finds.
means your in with a chance following carefully in the footsteps of the inept. :perfect:

Unfortunately it happens in places :mad: but the best junk I've picked up from a scrape was a tiny shiny :D :Y:. Mind you it's only happened once but I reckon the averages say it'll happen again :Y: so keep doing the same and it'll pay dividends one day :Y:.

Every gold detectorist I've come across pockets the junk they find and takes it with them. It's only logical and environmentally friendly to do so, and it's just the right thing to do. Based on this I'd say the vast majority of detectorists take the junk they find with them. Like anything it's the vast minority that do the wrong thing.

I take all my rubbish home, no fun digging it up twice. I was having a look at new area and there were holes everywhere they all had shot in them, turned out I walked onto a patch someone was trying to throw others off by planting the shot.

Another day detecting and a another 45 targes dug up... no gold lots of led and small bits of copper and steel and 8 digs by someone had junk left behind must just be the people going to the place i am detecting.

Cottoneye said:
Another day detecting and a another 45 targes dug up... no gold lots of led and small bits of copper and steel and 8 digs by someone had junk left behind must just be the people going to the place i am detecting.

I love panning and this is why I never get frustrated about rubbish :)

Trusted said:
Cottoneye said:

no big nuggies come your way then :lol: :lol:

ctxkid said:
Trusted said:
Cottoneye said:

no big nuggies come your way then :lol: :lol:

That don't worry me one bit mate as I am happy with what comes my way just panning here and there and it's cheap. Just be careful with all those leeches and ticks and snakes and wild dogs and the greenies.
I've heard of them to be worse than an animal or a snake.

Love my slucing and paning too but now slucing is illegal in this nazi state i thought i would have a go at detecting, found gold the 3rd time i used it so happy with that just got to try and find somewere that hasnt been floged to death
Trusted said:
Cottoneye said:

I just try to avoid digging rubbish in the first place, 9 out of 10 tens I can tell you if that signal is gold under the coil. I pick up any bit of rubbish that I get in the scoop. If I kick at a signal and it moves I'll normally just leave it. Big items I don't take, but I leave them visible so the next person doesn't get his head blasted off by a signal.

Maybe Im different, I dont detect in Vic where there is a lot more going on , and a lot more people ..When I hit a new area and its full of dig holes I like to know if its just rubbish or have they found colour..So when I find rubbish in a hole I thank them for leaving it behind and letting me know..