Checking Other Peoples Dig Holes? Thoughts?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found several nuggets in W.A in open holes presumably from older machines.
Another small area 4mx4m with an open hole produced some 60 odd bits for 20+ grams in small spiky reef gold that the poor 4500 user couldn't hear - no missing it with the Z and sdc

Another odd one was a time I pinged two nuggets in one hole, creeping up on one was the typical high-low but then as you crept on it it inverted to a low-high warble. Had me scratching my head until the first nug came out and after cursing at the size of the little half grammer that popped out a quick recheck of the hole a deeper inverted signal was still present and out came a nice 2+ grammer
1573717325_img_8283.jpg

Found an open hole in good dirt a couple of months ago. The lazy slob had obviously pulled a piece of gold from it and walked away and left the hole open. There were numerous holes that this person had dug in this area and left all of them open with the found pieces of junk as a reminder of his hard work. From the size of the holes and scrapes that he made, it was obvious that he was running a large coil. The first hole that I checked was deep but small in diameter. He obviously pulled the gold out but could not get the coil in to double check. I pulled two nuggets from that hole with the sdc. Thanks mate. On checking other peoples holes, the only unwritten rule that I follow is dont check a strangers dig hole while he is digging it.........

G'day

I have found nuggets in other peoples dig holes many times, every time I come across dig holes it just indicates to me that someone has possibly been getting gold on that spot so its worth a bit of a look, I will relate a story that has stuck in my mind over the years and has probably saved me many times from walking away from a possible gold targets.

Many years ago in an area north of Cue I was detecting some ground that had been well worked and was surrounded by old mines, there was rubbish everywhere and I was getting my fair share of it, being fairly new to the game I was pretty keen but had almost had enough, a local prospector turned up and asked me how I was doing, when I said that all the rubbish had all but got me beat and was about to move on, he said yeah there is plenty of rubbish here but also some good gold as well.

He said one day not far from where I was detecting he was swinging along when he came across a fairly new dig hole, it was pretty large hole and it had an old rusty coke can standing on the side of it, obviously finding the can the digger had just propped it up there and moved on, when he got near it he said he just booted the can away and swung his coil back over the hole suspecting that someone had just detected an old rubbish hole, but he got another softer signal and although convinced that it was probably another can deeper down he almost walked away but then decided he should dig it anyway, well after some digging he said unearthed a deep specimen nugget that in the end had some 7oz's of gold in it, so he said to me just dig everything until you know what it is as you just cant always tell until you see it, that has always stuck in my mind and has always been the reason that I will dig a target even when I am convinced that it is rubbish.

cheers

stayyerAU

Gday All

I realise its not Kosha, and Im not encouraging it, but I always get a laugh out of someones earthmoving operation with a piece of junk mounted on top of their spoil heap.
The Anti-Trophy!

Well worth checking. I've found quite a few bits in other peoples holes & spoil piles.
Recently dug a 3kg+ specimen (unsure of gold content yet but one side is covered in specs/picker sized gold) out of one after they hit rock & stopped digging. Dug out 2 x large rocks & out popped the specci. It sounded like a large bit of rubbish but turned out to be a nice surprise! :Y:

Latest posts