Checking Other Peoples Dig Holes? Thoughts?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ive sometimes had a sweep over other peoples scrapings or holes to see if they missed anything and 80% of the time they leave there junk in the heap they pulled out and Im guilty of this sometimes. Will you bother recovering what ever it is? When I have done this its been junk every time so from now on dont think Im going to bother checking.

My general rule is to check the hole/working and remove the rubbish left behind you'd be surprised what they missed underneath the rubbish. Plus i feel that if I remove the rubbish i'm helping clean up the area for future prospecting. I know a spot that has been flogged and on my last trip met a guy that was working this area. I went and waved the wand over the ground he was working only to find he hadn't filled in any holes and was leaving the rubbish still in the hole. This not only frustrating for other prospectors but its not reasonable when on a cattle property to leave exposed holes that the cattle can stumble in and possible loss for the land owner.
Yes he found nice gold but what he missed by not removing the rubbish and not filling in his holes left him with less than he could've had.

Cheers

Macca

I sometimes have a poke around in old detecting holes. Small ones I fill in, larger older ones there's not much you can do about it. I got excited with one once around the Inkerman area (Vic) on the West side of the highway. It was a hole a few hundred mm deep, and probably twice that in diameter. Got a nice sounding signal towards one side down the bottom, and as the ground was rock hard it got my heart racing thinking someone even greener than me had given up trying to locate what they thought they had heard. I eventually got down to it and dug it out but it was junk. It did make me wonder though if the same person would do the same thing with gold.

I always check if somebadyhas been there. Once we found a nice gold nugget that had been thrown back in a hole. Was size of .22 bullet lead. When i first held it i thought it was lead to but on closer inspection and a scratch on it it was gold. Yes i cant work out why others return junk or leave it on top. We always collect all the junk. It is really so easy and for future detector guys and future mahines makes it easier.
I wonder how many guys do not check there holes after finding something and before refilling as we have on numerous ocasions found more gold deeper in same hole.

Yes, always check unfilled holes then fill them in.
Never experienced finding any gold myself but a mate of mine has on two occasions. One trip I heard him bellowing in the distance and my first reaction was he may have been bitten by a snake. He came running out of the bush very excited and dropped a large lump of ironstone in my hand, it was riddled with gold. He took me back to the spot, a large unfilled hole on the side of a creek, how the previous prospector missed this is beyond belief.
On another occasion, again, another unfilled deep hole which had probably only been dug in past 24 hours, dirt was still damp. Poked his elliptical coil into the hole and got a signal, further digging and out came a 26g pure nugget. :100: :goldnugget:
The lucky b*****d has also won a second division in lotto....... Say know more!

Nightjar said:
Yes, always check unfilled holes then fill them in.
Never experienced finding any gold myself but a mate of mine has on two occasions. One trip I heard him bellowing in the distance and my first reaction was he may have been bitten by a snake. He came running out of the bush very excited and dropped a large lump of ironstone in my hand, it was riddled with gold. He took me back to the spot, a large unfilled hole on the side of a creek, how the previous prospector missed this is beyond belief.
On another occasion, again, another unfilled deep hole which had probably only been dug in past 24 hours, dirt was still damp. Poked his elliptical coil into the hole and got a signal, further digging and out came a 26g pure nugget. :100: :goldnugget:
The lucky b*****d has also won a second division in lotto....... Say know more!
Check everything. I have found small pieces several times.

in my limited experience, & after watching a few people swinging (detectors that is :p ), where I see many people not overlapping their sweep but running each sweep close to the previous one, it seems nuggets could be easily passed over at any depth (assuming the ground hasnt been flogged). Maybe people are trying to cover more ground in the time they have, but its self-defeating due to the un-scanned ground between sweeps, & anyone correct me if Im wrong, but this issue is likely to be more prevalent with big Mono's.
I drew this sketch to clarify what im talking about.
1573695980_coil_field_overlap_gaps.jpg

Ded Driver said:
Frankdonovan121 said:
Has anyone amalgamated 3 of the same or different gold detectors so one pass equals 3 slightly overlapping ones?
I think Nugget Finder have effectively done that with the humongous 25" DD X-Search coil
part spiral, part bundle, part of an acre, gold magnet :goldnugget: :cool:

That thing looks like it could substitute for a manhole cover.

VicGoldHunter said:
Ive sometimes had a sweep over other peoples scrapings or holes to see if they missed anything and 80% of the time they leave there junk in the heap they pulled out and Im guilty of this sometimes.

Mate you gotta pick up all the targets you detect, never leave junk in the heap and always fill your holes. The bush wont reveal its treasures to you until you respect it . :|
Booney

I've pulled gold out of someone else's scrape, 99% it's their junk though.
I usually leave any big holes with loud targets and only investigate if it's a small hole or scrape.

VicGoldHunter said:
When I have done this its been junk every time so from now on dont think Im going to bother checking.

VGH, I'm starting to see a pattern here with some of your posts, on another threat you posted about no detecting reefs anymore because they're too hard to detect and not detecting mullock heaps anymore because they've all been done to death.

You then start a thread on reasons why you may not be finding anything, I truly believe your mindset and attitude is what is stopping or holding you back from finding gold, please don't take this as having a go at you because the more fellow prospectors with your train of thought the better for the rest of us finding gold on a regular basis.
It's meant as constructive criticism and just pointing out your mindset is holding you back and restricting your finds.

Last week I pulled 240 bits of gold from mullock heaps and some right next to where people camp, some had sections where dry blowers had been working on them and they all had previous dig holes and still plenty of junk on them, they are accessible to everyone yet I can still pull 240 bits in 3 days and I know next time I'm there I'll do the same, I never raked or stripped the piles back, simply trusted my gear, my settings, had the right attitude and knew it would be there if I looked thoroughly enough.

Dig everything and never discount an area because you think it's too hard or flogged to death, because if 90% of other casual prospectors think that way then it's the 10% of smart prospectors that will get 90% of the targets in those areas ;)

Latest posts