Park hunting with the Garrett At Pro.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1415054375_img_144990804958946.jpeg

how deep was the pendant? yes i think its definitely pre 1970.. i could be wrong though. I get the idea its that old because of the design, patina and the subject matter. However i could be wrong. If it was only 1 inch under then maybe not as old. but if 6 inches or so definitely

treasureman said:
how deep was the pendant? yes i think its definitely pre 1970.. i could be wrong though. I get the idea its that old because of the design, patina and the subject matter. However i could be wrong. If it was only 1 inch under then maybe not as old. but if 6 inches or so definitely

It was about 3 inches down. Don't think that helps with age though. Hard soil and I have found pennies and silvers only 2 inches down in the same area.

Detected a new area this arvo. A sporting field. Wasn't sure what t expect as it is very near where the first ever homes in town were built in the early 1800s. I assumed that being sports fields that at some point it has had soil added and levelled out. This seems to be the case as no pre decimals to be seen. It was a short hunt and only covered a small area. I guess the main reason for this post is to show not every day is pennies and silvers. On the plus side I am getting much more confident with the Pro. If I can find the little BBs down to 5 and 6 inches I am confident I will get the pennies and silvers if I swing my coil over them. I bagged the Pro a little for it's lack of performance in wet sand at the beach. I must say it more than holds it's own in the park environment. The small piece of metal between the two $1 coins was a full 8 inches down.

1415094654_oval1.jpg

If only aluminium hadn't been invented, detecting would be so much easier (aside from coins with aluminium content of course). Reminds me of a spot I went to the other night, nothing but BB's and bottle caps. :|

Hi Ramjet - nice work again!

I find the best indicator of a detectors depth is to obverse how deep a silver coin is detected. Copper coins - large pennies, half pennies and brown buggers are EASY to ping at depth - copper is a great conductor and the size of the coins assist in finding them easily... I am impressed when a 3p or 6p is found at depth and it tells me what the capabilities of the detector are. The ACE 350 I had pinged copper at depth but no silver unless it was 4 inches or less. Because you are finding silver I reckon the AT Pro is working find ... ;)

Thanks for that info Paul.
Another quick swing after arvo shift. A little mixed bag. As well as the usual trash and BBs, I got $1, $2, a penny, shilling. 3p and a 1959 Hornsby RSL badge. Member #607. I wonder if I could track the owner down.

Had an interesting experience with the boys in blue showing up 5 minutes after I got there. A car drove across the lawn to about 10 metres away. All lights blazing in my face. I thought they had just come to see what I was up to. Then a paddy wagon pulled up as well and 2 officers got out of each vehicle. I was thinking this was a bit much and one of the neighbours must have called them. The 4 boys on foot spread out with torches, the wagon headed off in one direction and the car drove by me with the driver just saying "G'day mate". It seemed obvious that finding a detectorist in the park at night was nothing new. They spent 15 minutes or so wandering and driving around flashing torches and spotlights everywhere. For the next hour or so that I was there the police cars came back every 10 to 15 minutes with spotlights sweeping the park. Must have been looking for someone I guess.

1415226766_20141106_090813_copy.jpg

1415226794_20141106_091007_copy.jpg

1415226812_20141106_090950_copy.jpg

1415226826_20141106_090904_copy.jpg

1415226841_20141106_090919_copy.jpg

Would have been a good time to leave RJ. with all that excitement about. Who-ever they were after probably would not be wanting to discuss metal detecting with you. :p

Circa 1972: I used to reside at the Sylvan caravan park in Campbellfield-near the Ford factory, in my own van.
One night as i lay drinking and listening to hoons belt around the industrial estate north of the park, i could hear gunshots being fired in the same area.
Being a citizen of some conscience i rang the police and explained what i could hear. They took my tel. number site number and said they would check it out.
30 mins. later: I was taking my empty longnecks to the "bottle dump" and all was very quiet. SUDDENLY the place became a sea of bright white. There were 4 cops standing astride guns pointed at me and i was lucky no-one had an itchy trigger finger....Phew!!!
The cops had somehow misinterpreted the phone call and came sneaking in lights off at the start and scared the living "s@#$$it out of me. I didn't drop one empty.
They questioned me onsite out in the middle of the park and by jeez i some trouble explaining the mistake.
After 1/2 an hour they still took my fingerprints and details and vanished.
Makes you wonder how honest you should be doesn't it.

:cool: :cool:

Good hunt Ramjet,...I see the Hornsby RSL has a Facebook page, that will make finding the badge owner a cinch(maybe)'.....I bet if you get in good with him(badge return in person) you will be able to get some good mileage out of the old fellas(and girls) in regards to prospective hunting sites,....they may want you to hunt for some specific lost things(if you get my drift).
Good luck with it all,...use the gift of the gab mate.

Maybe a nosy resident thought your black AT Pro was gun of some sort, you never know with all the paranoia these days. I tend to get a bit nervous carrying around my lesche when encountering the boys in blue, they could probably class it as a weapon if pushed. Maybe it might pay to put a couple of red and white reflective strips on the pro, just to make it look less intimidating, plus easier to find. :)

Thanks Paul. I haven't done any electrolysis yet. I'll have to do a search through the topics and read up on how you guys do it. It's the darkest of the shillings I have found.

Ramjet said:
Thanks Paul. I haven't done any electrolysis yet. I'll have to do a search through the topics and read up on how you guys do it. It's the darkest of the shillings I have found.

Very easy to do - a container with a water/salt solution (two tablespoons of salt) - a metal washer connected to the positive lead and the coin connected to the negative lead of an old phone recharging adapter - coins should start to bubble - turn off an hour later and wash the coin with bicarb - easy as that!

Good to see your back into the swing again "Roger". I've had the detectors in storage over winter as I've had to many other things happening, how ever I'm back! Give me a yell if you feel like hitting one of our local parks as I need to give the Etrac a shake down. Cheers. Scoopa!

Latest posts