Palmer River.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bloke you run thru gold country all the way up from the Gold Coast. Travelling thru Gympie, Clermont, Charters Towers, Etheridge Shire then onto Palmer River šŸ‘ NZ hunter might struggle a little with only four days available as probably take several days just to get oneself orientated with the area.
That is 100% the key to prospecting any new field, I don't care where it is. Time spent on the ground, local knowledge.
This field is different to other area's in the Palmer.
I know the area quite well, worked very close by on the leases that Frank now owns and I didn't find gold on the week we were up there as tourists!
But! I found a bullet at 200mm in a pushed area and a nail a tad deeper in what I thought was virgin ground?!
Subtle, deep targets missed by others...
I have no doubt at all that the gold is there, you just gotta walk over it with the detector turned on!

BTW I gave NZ hunter a whole host of tips via PM, I hope that they pan out for him??

Heard of some good finds in the last week or so, anyone know if the grass burn has been carried out yet?
Sending my rooted 11" 6000 coil back to minelab today, along with my rooted satellite TV receiver & my wife's rooted phone (all rooted in the same week in Georgetown) should be sorted in the next couple of weeks then most probably going to cannibal creek, so see you there (90% probability) in JB caravan.
What happened to your 6000 Coil? I am now on my third coil due to water ingress. Waterproof ...... right!! I think I have now sorted it tho.
Most of my detecting is on and around rivers so not much experience in this type of country.

That is 100% the key to prospecting any new field, I don't care where it is. Time spent on the ground, local knowledge.
This field is different to other area's in the Palmer.
I know the area quite well, worked very close by on the leases that Frank now owns and I didn't find gold on the week we were up there as tourists!
But! I found a bullet at 200mm in a pushed area and a nail a tad deeper in what I thought was virgin ground?!
Subtle, deep targets missed by others...
I have no doubt at all that the gold is there, you just gotta walk over it with the detector turned on!

BTW I gave NZ hunter a whole host of tips via PM, I hope that they pan out for him??
Yes thanks for that Simmo.... Will be interesting anyway to see the different country. Also hot rather than freezing cold.

Got the news from the hospital today. The day before my partners appointment is meant to be, they will either ring or txt us and confirm day and a time!!! Makes life real difficult as the missus has to tell her work what day she'll be off so they can fill her position. If she takes the 19th off and they decide the 20th is the day of her op, she will lose a days sick leave and have to book another day off lol. Not much we can do about it tho. She needs this op. We did press them but they were very sorry, they just couldn't give us a time and even the time they'll be giving us they day prior to the op, is only an estimated time.
Sad to say NZ Gold Hunter, I'll not be joining you up there at this stage. Please let us know how everything goes, any tips you may have etc. I'll be looking forward to hearing from you as I will be going up when things settle here and my elder daughter's back from NZ.

Cheers - Mr Tee
Sorry to hear that. Will let you know how I go. Good luck to your partner.

Heard of some good finds in the last week or so, anyone know if the grass burn has been carried out yet?
Sending my rooted 11" 6000 coil back to minelab today, along with my rooted satellite TV receiver & my wife's rooted phone (all rooted in the same week in Georgetown) should be sorted in the next couple of weeks then most probably going to cannibal creek, so see you there (90% probability) in JB caravan.
Hi G1H, Look forward to seeing you there. Our plan for the future (after daughter finishes school in 2 years) is to get a JB caravan and tour Aussie for a couple of years. Will be good to see how you like it (JB).

What happened to your 6000 Coil? I am now on my third coil due to water ingress. Waterproof ...... right!! I think I have now sorted it tho.
Most of my detecting is on and around rivers so not much experience in this type of country.
Coil got super touch sensitive (intermittent) on rocks, sticks, heavy grasses or tap with finger, it was so out of control even a test piece of gold on the ground couldn't be identified with all the pinging, squealing, and zapping going on. Had to put the 17" on & throw the junk in the car.

Hi G1H, Look forward to seeing you there. Our plan for the future (after daughter finishes school in 2 years) is to get a JB caravan and tour Aussie for a couple of years. Will be good to see how you like it (JB).
I set off to do 2-3 years touring Aus that was back in 2011. Still going!
Started of in an American 5th wheeler, what a piece of junk that was . Timber frame was nailed together (no glue) and the front almost snapped off due to construction methods, the overall problems were countless.
USA = Unprofessional Standards Applied.
JB (Scorpion) 6 years on is still in one bit and as tough as ever.

I wonder if all this rain in the dry season hammered the Palmer & fed those monster grasses? Anyone in the Palmer to answer this?

A new website, obviously released too early as it is not complete!!!

But here is the New Palmerville Station and prospecting choices!!
https://palmervillegold.com.au/

Buyer Beware
Some facts not easily obtained about Canibal Creek / Palmerville Gold Camp

The drive in from the PDR along White Creek Road is a great road but it has some massive pulls out of the the 30 plus creek and river crossings you do on the way in and if you are towing you will need a 4 x 4 to pull up some of them.

Google maps has you drive up a road about 300m short of the actual signed turn off so be advised, donā€™t turn left until you see the signs.

Once you arrive the check in is past the first camp site and at the small shack on the hill. Here you will be briefed on the camp. It does have drinking water and WiFi available from the first accommodation building you pass on the left as you enter the camp. If you want WiFi you must be camped near this building or drive to it when you want it.
By the way no evidence of the Bio Hazard wash was asked for upon signing into the camp??

You are directed to several bush camp sites areas and pretty much pick your own camp, contrary to the impression given when booking your visit??

We had booked in advance as advised for a 2 week stay and thought we would break our time there up by firstly doing a guided prospecting tour ( to get the local lay of the land ), a helicopter tour of the country and an indigenous cultural tour, all clearly advertised on their social media sites. We new we could not do 14 days straight prospecting so this was a great way to break things up.
Well, upon arrival and check in we were told that these were ā€œnot available yet ā€œ and that was the end of itā€¦ā€¦
Having been advised of this we thought OK we will still stay for the 14 days.

Next we were given an A4 printed trilbite map ( see attached ) of the area and told we could detect anywhere in the areas shown.
Upon asking where would be a good place to start, Ben said anywhere from the big mine lease South and circled an area about the size of a 20 cent piece and said to try here. He explained that a ā€œ new trackā€, singular, had been opened up to the south and we should head down there.

What Ben failed to tell us is that it is a minimum of a 1 hour and 15 min drive from the camp site and weā€™ll over 2 hrs if you want to get down south on track that I would rate as 4X4 intermediate to advanced in some places.
So we now have a minimum of 3 hrs each day traveling on some pretty tough track. Yes we could of elected to bring quads but others in our group were told no quads so they brought bikes only to find when they arrived that quads were allowed???

We spent one day getting right off the main tracks then walking 2-3 km only to find un filled detector holes every where, a sight seen for the next 7 days.

We went west one day cutting trees that had fallen over the poorly maintained tracks to access another area, only to find quads and bikes had been there and gone beyond the well signed closure of tracks. We even viewed a yellow Suzuki coming back under the wire one afternoon, I wonder where he had been???

On the property as of June, most of the grass is thick and 2-3 foot tall making swinging the detector extreamly difficult, a fact not mentioned anywhere or on any Blog?? I know they have no control of this but with the consistent rains NQLD are still having you would think they would give you the heads up to people spending a lot of money to get there.

As for the new track South, well as far as we could see it was an existing track that had had some minor gully work carried out in it recently.

We were amazed with the amount of fresh ( within 6 months ) un filled detector holes. After talking with people in the camp, it well and truly looks like the professionals have been in there after last seasons published windfall by many, and done very well.

We spoke with multiple seasoned prospectors who had in the previous year pulled multiple ounces of gold. Most of them this year were struggling to find grams. Some had been there for over a month for a measly 11 grams on our date of leaving, most weā€™re pissed off with the lack of new acces tracks as promised and the general lack of work that had been done opening up new areas for the season pass holder. I know of 1 seasoned pass holder who left after 3 days as he was so disappointed as to what had been covayed to him compared to actually what areas he could go into.

I will admit that we actually went into the seasoned pass holders area on our last day to see if it was worth paying the $3K to get into this area.

With 4 detectors on the ground for a minimum of 5 hrs each we came up with zero. What we experienced in this area was the same as in the non seasoned pass areas, hundreds of un filled 2-3 month old detector holes. We were absolutely in the right areas for the gold, itā€™s just the Professional Hoovers had been in there earlier???

The area itself

As a Victorian I can only say itā€™s like Black Wood on steroids. A second season prospector described it as the similar to the Kokoda Trail in New Guinea. The gullyā€™s are so steep most of the time you can only enter from the either end which means you will be doing a hell of a lot of walking before you can detect as the easy gold has been taken on the ridges and slopes. The slopes are not for the faint hearted due to the angle. If you are not an extreamly fit and agile person, donā€™t go.

Another fact seemed to be over looked in all the info is that most of the rich gullyā€™s have previously been worked by mechanical means right up until the 80ā€™s and you are only really prospecting the scraps

After days of traversing the tracks looking for new areas and not finding any real notable gold and not being able to partake in the advertised activities offered Feeling quite bruised and batted from the 3 hrs a day in the car to and from the gold fields on the rough tracks that will do damage to every vehicle on them we decided to pull the pin a week early and head to another area.

I have since emailed Palmerville Gold twice requesting a refund of our second week on the basis of the advertised activities were not available that we had planned to split our prospecting days up with.
I have had NO response from them to date.

I feel this is a poorly run business with no real vision or structure and the only aim is to get you to sign up for a season pas, take your money and do bugger all for it??
They spend a lot of time on social media promoting the station, however it is my opinion that they need to spend more time on the seat of the dozer opening up the promised areas for prospecting ??
People are spending many thousands of dollars getting to the station due to all the hype but the realization quickly sets in that itā€™s just a lot of talk without the promissed work being done by the management

Donā€™t waist your money on this Joke of a station.

Buyer Beware
Some facts not easily obtained about Canibal Creek / Palmerville Gold Camp

The drive in from the PDR along White Creek Road is a great road but it has some massive pulls out of the the 30 plus creek and river crossings you do on the way in and if you are towing you will need a 4 x 4 to pull up some of them.

Google maps has you drive up a road about 300m short of the actual signed turn off so be advised, donā€™t turn left until you see the signs.

Once you arrive the check in is past the first camp site and at the small shack on the hill. Here you will be briefed on the camp. It does have drinking water and WiFi available from the first accommodation building you pass on the left as you enter the camp. If you want WiFi you must be camped near this building or drive to it when you want it.
By the way no evidence of the Bio Hazard wash was asked for upon signing into the camp??

You are directed to several bush camp sites areas and pretty much pick your own camp, contrary to the impression given when booking your visit??

We had booked in advance as advised for a 2 week stay and thought we would break our time there up by firstly doing a guided prospecting tour ( to get the local lay of the land ), a helicopter tour of the country and an indigenous cultural tour, all clearly advertised on their social media sites. We new we could not do 14 days straight prospecting so this was a great way to break things up.
Well, upon arrival and check in we were told that these were ā€œnot available yet ā€œ and that was the end of itā€¦ā€¦
Having been advised of this we thought OK we will still stay for the 14 days.

Next we were given an A4 printed trilbite map ( see attached ) of the area and told we could detect anywhere in the areas shown.
Upon asking where would be a good place to start, Ben said anywhere from the big mine lease South and circled an area about the size of a 20 cent piece and said to try here. He explained that a ā€œ new trackā€, singular, had been opened up to the south and we should head down there.

What Ben failed to tell us is that it is a minimum of a 1 hour and 15 min drive from the camp site and weā€™ll over 2 hrs if you want to get down south on track that I would rate as 4X4 intermediate to advanced in some places.
So we now have a minimum of 3 hrs each day traveling on some pretty tough track. Yes we could of elected to bring quads but others in our group were told no quads so they brought bikes only to find when they arrived that quads were allowed???

We spent one day getting right off the main tracks then walking 2-3 km only to find un filled detector holes every where, a sight seen for the next 7 days.

We went west one day cutting trees that had fallen over the poorly maintained tracks to access another area, only to find quads and bikes had been there and gone beyond the well signed closure of tracks. We even viewed a yellow Suzuki coming back under the wire one afternoon, I wonder where he had been???

On the property as of June, most of the grass is thick and 2-3 foot tall making swinging the detector extreamly difficult, a fact not mentioned anywhere or on any Blog?? I know they have no control of this but with the consistent rains NQLD are still having you would think they would give you the heads up to people spending a lot of money to get there.

As for the new track South, well as far as we could see it was an existing track that had had some minor gully work carried out in it recently.

We were amazed with the amount of fresh ( within 6 months ) un filled detector holes. After talking with people in the camp, it well and truly looks like the professionals have been in there after last seasons published windfall by many, and done very well.

We spoke with multiple seasoned prospectors who had in the previous year pulled multiple ounces of gold. Most of them this year were struggling to find grams. Some had been there for over a month for a measly 11 grams on our date of leaving, most weā€™re pissed off with the lack of new acces tracks as promised and the general lack of work that had been done opening up new areas for the season pass holder. I know of 1 seasoned pass holder who left after 3 days as he was so disappointed as to what had been covayed to him compared to actually what areas he could go into.

I will admit that we actually went into the seasoned pass holders area on our last day to see if it was worth paying the $3K to get into this area.

With 4 detectors on the ground for a minimum of 5 hrs each we came up with zero. What we experienced in this area was the same as in the non seasoned pass areas, hundreds of un filled 2-3 month old detector holes. We were absolutely in the right areas for the gold, itā€™s just the Professional Hoovers had been in there earlier???

The area itself

As a Victorian I can only say itā€™s like Black Wood on steroids. A second season prospector described it as the similar to the Kokoda Trail in New Guinea. The gullyā€™s are so steep most of the time you can only enter from the either end which means you will be doing a hell of a lot of walking before you can detect as the easy gold has been taken on the ridges and slopes. The slopes are not for the faint hearted due to the angle. If you are not an extreamly fit and agile person, donā€™t go.

Another fact seemed to be over looked in all the info is that most of the rich gullyā€™s have previously been worked by mechanical means right up until the 80ā€™s and you are only really prospecting the scraps

After days of traversing the tracks looking for new areas and not finding any real notable gold and not being able to partake in the advertised activities offered Feeling quite bruised and batted from the 3 hrs a day in the car to and from the gold fields on the rough tracks that will do damage to every vehicle on them we decided to pull the pin a week early and head to another area.

I have since emailed Palmerville Gold twice requesting a refund of our second week on the basis of the advertised activities were not available that we had planned to split our prospecting days up with.
I have had NO response from them to date.

I feel this is a poorly run business with no real vision or structure and the only aim is to get you to sign up for a season pas, take your money and do bugger all for it??
They spend a lot of time on social media promoting the station, however it is my opinion that they need to spend more time on the seat of the dozer opening up the promised areas for prospecting ??
People are spending many thousands of dollars getting to the station due to all the hype but the realization quickly sets in that itā€™s just a lot of talk without the promissed work being done by the management

Donā€™t waist your money on this Joke of a station.
Thanks for the honest opinion. I must say that I have emailed them at least 4 times and only managed to get a reply after I called and spoke to a Kiwi girl who works with them. Then no more replies at all. All planned now so still going to have a looksee.

I was there late may and they said the burn off was happening 13th of June of a 100 sqaure kmā€™s . Sounds like they still havenā€™t done the burn off ??

Bloke you run thru gold country all the way up from the Gold Coast. Travelling thru Gympie, Clermont, Charters Towers, Etheridge Shire then onto Palmer River šŸ‘ NZ hunter might struggle a little with only four days available as probably take several days just to get oneself orientated with the area.
But the chances of finding gold are slim in Gympie, Clermont, Charters Towers, Etheridge Shire.
However as Simmo said
"It's a well reknown Gold Field that has had little to no access for 'normal' people.
Now parts of it are open for pay to detect, thats a win for amateur prospectors up here." and that makes it a very exciting prospect!
However as you said there's still Gympie, Clermont, Charters Towers, Etheridge Shire, (sigh), all much closer to the Goldie.

Not sure where your info is coming from but way wrong. The Gimp and Clermont maybe a little harder, Charters and Etheridge not even close šŸ¤£
Etheridge Shire 50 grams in three days and that was no new ground just going over old patches with a six šŸ‘ Not sure how good you want it, but around 5K for a three days work will do me šŸ¤”

But the chances of finding gold are slim in Gympie, Clermont, Charters Towers, Etheridge Shire.
However as Simmo said
"It's a well reknown Gold Field that has had little to no access for 'normal' people.
Now parts of it are open for pay to detect, thats a win for amateur prospectors up here." and that makes it a very exciting prospect!
However as you said there's still Gympie, Clermont, Charters Towers, Etheridge Shire, (sigh), all much closer to the Goldie.
This post is in the wrong string ? There is a designated string for comedy :rolleyes:šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Not sure where your info is coming from but way wrong. The Gimp and Clermont maybe a little harder, Charters and Etheridge not even close šŸ¤£
Etheridge Shire 50 grams in three days and that was no new ground just going over old patches with a six šŸ‘ Not sure how good you want it, but around 5K for a three days work will do me šŸ¤”
Info comes from Qld prospectors who don't waste time in Qld and go to WA each seasons to get loaded. Seems I shouldn't have listened to them. That's why I got so excited about Palmerville.

Any Barra???
My boys are dying to get back there for the fishing!!
The fish should be getting up there in size by now??

Latest posts