Oallen Forde - The Good, The Bad and the "Really UGLY"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Penfooey,
As mentioned above thanks for cleaning up other peoples mess. I happened to be there around lunch time Saturday did a bit of driving around the area and stopped for a quick pan with my a mate and our kids. I actually drove past you(the third picture above gave it away) in the afternoon, I was in the white Triton and you were relaxing with a beer :cool: , we did notice all the garbage bags that were stacked against the fence but didn't know that you had cleaned it up so Thanks again. :)

Heatho said:
Would be funny if someone dumped the rubbish on the lawn at their nice appartment block or burried their car with it. Yes I know would be stooping to their level, though would be funny to see the look on their face when they saw it.

YEAH I agree and they would be the first ones to start screaming!

noncents said:
Hi Penfooey,
As mentioned above thanks for cleaning up other peoples mess. I happened to be there around lunch time Saturday did a bit of driving around the area and stopped for a quick pan with my a mate and our kids. I actually drove past you(the third picture above gave it away) in the afternoon, I was in the white Triton and you were relaxing with a beer :cool: , we did notice all the garbage bags that were stacked against the fence but didn't know that you had cleaned it up so Thanks again. :)

mmmmmm beer - it helped after all that. If you guys see us around next time, come say hi. Pen & Harro

People dont care for things smaller than themselves, wildlife, pollution, I believe that 40 percent of people dont even know the earth rotates around the sun. And these are the people we all deal with on many levels not just dumping rubbish. This is a never ending task, just good to see some people doing the right thing

Hello All,

Well they are at it again, this garbage is on the down side out of sight from the road.
1395737078_wp_20140325_003_640x360.jpg

As did not come prepared for my turn at the cleaning duties, I will be returning on Saturday prepared with garbage bags, gloves and one of those pick-up things from Bunnings.
1395737234_wp_20140325_004_640x360.jpg

Upon seeing this I drove around and the upside of the Forde, at the high camping area there was a fire mound with a lot of smashed bottles.
1395737381_wp_20140325_007_640x360.jpg

Not far away was the container of which the bottles had an ice bath.
1395737585_wp_20140325_008_640x360.jpg

When I was leaving I noticed that there was only a fire sign and nothing about taking your garbage with you.
1395737966_wp_20140325_010_640x360.jpg

On the way back home I found the garbage tip and realised why there is no pick-up service, look at the opening times.
1395738076_wp_20140325_011_640x360.jpg

Can any thing be done about this ignorance via the local authorities?

OH btw, the water levels are still good.
1395738232_wp_20140325_006_640x360.jpg

Sorry about all the photos, just I am fed-up with crap from people who will ruin it for all.

Peter. :mad:

After cleaning up and enjoying our stay we moved on only to come across another spot just as ugly, next time I'm going to wear
my RANGERS uniform

Something wrong with these people. Obviously that's a given. What do you do? Well, I'm about to take HeadsUps' advice and contact the authorities - letter in hand - and see where that leads. It's interesting Peter that the sign in your pic says 'Dob in a Dumper' I'll ring that 1300 735 025 number and see what the go is. Good to see the water levels are still good. If the levels hold out we're going back at the end of this week. If you're going to collect the rubbish (and good on you) take some gloves. We found some dubious garbage and had to resort to sticks to pick em up followed by a good scrub.

Well done cleaning up that crap guys, have never been to Oallen, looks like a nice spot if people would just clean up. The local council should install hidden cameras to catch the dumpers and other lazy scumbags, they do it elsewhere.

penfooey said:
Something wrong with these people. Obviously that's a given. What do you do? Well, I'm about to take HeadsUps' advice and contact the authorities - letter in hand - and see where that leads. It's interesting Peter that the sign in your pic says 'Dob in a Dumper' I'll ring that 1300 735 025 number and see what the go is. Good to see the water levels are still good. If the levels hold out we're going back at the end of this week. If you're going to collect the rubbish (and good on you) take some gloves. We found some dubious garbage and had to resort to sticks to pick em up followed by a good scrub.

Hey Penfooey,

When you make contact, ask them to send a crew down to the Ford so that they can see for themselves what has to be endured.
Also, ask them where can I dispose of the garbage.
Use the photos with your with your inquiry.

penfooey said:

Hey Penfooey,

When you make contact, ask them to send a crew down to the Ford so that they can see for themselves what has to be endured.
Also, ask them where can I dispose of the garbage.
Use the photos with your with your inquiry.

I phoned Dob in a Dumper 1300 735 025 and was advised I send an email to the Palerang Environmental Department Attention Simon Holloway along with the pictures and copy of letter found in the rubbish - so the following is what I sent:

Good morning

My partner and I recently camped at Oallen Forde and was disgusted to find a huge load of rubbish left by some previous campers. As the camping spot was where we wanted to stay, we decided to clean it up. On our way home we took the rubbish to the tip.

We found a letter addressed to the 'Occupier' within this rubbish and have copied and attached it to this email including a pic of the rubbish. We belong to a Prospecting Club with some of the members frequenting this area on a regular basis. It is making us look bad when not one of us would leave any of our rubbish behind. Is there any way a sign/s can be placed around the camping areas to remind these grubs to take their rubbish with them? Remind these people they will cop a Fine or Prosecution?

I have just read on the Prospecting Forum that more rubbish has been left behind so I will ask that they send the pictures to your department also.

Would you get back to me at your earliest and let me know you have received this email. Hope you can do something with this information I have just sent. Should I also pass this info onto the local Police or leave it with you to deal with? Regards etc etc.

OK - so Peter, could you do the same. I was going to send your pics too but felt the more emails, the better the response perhaps? As I can't write the email address (forum stops anything with a proper email address being sent - I've placed spaces between each word or dot) it should be directed to records @ palerang . nsw . gov . au Attention Environmental Department - Simon Holloway

I will let everyone know what, if any, response I get - Pen

It's is great to see people taking actions against these Pr*cks!

I hope they get what they deserve!

I've never been there and I am quite new to this gold hunting. But it would be good to know if i ever made the 6 hour trip I wouldn't get there to be swamped by rubbish and bogans.

You guys are legends!

its been about 2 months since i sent them an email asking if toilet / shower facilities could be put there for families to use when camping

I have had no reply.

follow up phone call might be next

i used the same email address as you did , maybe phone them to see if anyone checks that email address . maybe they have 20 staff sitting around playing cards all day coz they think there is no work to be done ?

HeadsUp said:
its been about 2 months since i sent them an email asking if toilet / shower facilities could be put there for families to use when camping

I have had no reply.

follow up phone call might be next

i used the same email address as you did , maybe phone them to see if anyone checks that email address . maybe they have 20 staff sitting around playing cards all day coz they think there is no work to be done ?

Yep I will follow up also if I don't hear anything SOON :rolleyes: - and I did request they confirm they received my email. I spoke to Lou, she said the fellow responsible for any of these issues/queries was Simon Holloway. If we all bombard him, he may be forced to stop playing cards and do something. Then again it is a Council. A law generally unto themselves......we'll wait and see. :)

Hello all,
OK i have sent of my email to the Palerang Council;

Good day Simon,

Yesterday (25th March 2014) I was at Oallen Forde, as I belong to a Prospecting Club, I was annoyed upon leaving late in the afternoon to find that there was a pile of garbage on the downside of the crossing some 100 metres down and 50 metres from the water edge. Please see the first attachment.
Whilst I had no garbage bags with me, I could not clean this mess left by person/s unknown. I then drove around to see if there was anything else.

On the upside of the crossing in the elevated camping area I came across a fireplace mound that had broken beer bottles in it as well as an esky close by. Please see remaining attachments. This does disturb me as a frequent camper at this site for the safety of my young children playing around the camping area with broken glass.

Recently, several members had to clean-up after person/s unknown.

I am a frequent user of this camping ground and whatever I bring in; I take out and leave only my footprints. When I was leaving the Forde I could not find any signage with regards to rubbish only a sign stating that before you leave make sure that your fire is out. Is it possible that there be additional signage with regards to rubbish and the posting of fines?

During my trip home I came across the Landfill site at Nerriga and the signage stated that it was only open Sunday and Monday.

Could you get back to me at with acknowledgement of this email? I hope that you can do something about this, may I suggest that you send a work crew to the Forde to investigate the garbage matters that I have raised in the coming days prior to the weekend so that they can report back to you.

Let's see what effect this has.

pjg100 said:
Hello all,
OK i have sent of my email to the Palerang Council;

Good day Simon,

Yesterday (25th March 2014) I was at Oallen Forde, as I belong to a Prospecting Club, I was annoyed upon leaving late in the afternoon to find that there was a pile of garbage on the downside of the crossing some 100 metres down and 50 metres from the water edge. Please see the first attachment.
Whilst I had no garbage bags with me, I could not clean this mess left by person/s unknown. I then drove around to see if there was anything else.

On the upside of the crossing in the elevated camping area I came across a fireplace mound that had broken beer bottles in it as well as an esky close by. Please see remaining attachments. This does disturb me as a frequent camper at this site for the safety of my young children playing around the camping area with broken glass.

Recently, several members had to clean-up after person/s unknown.

I am a frequent user of this camping ground and whatever I bring in; I take out and leave only my footprints. When I was leaving the Forde I could not find any signage with regards to rubbish only a sign stating that before you leave make sure that your fire is out. Is it possible that there be additional signage with regards to rubbish and the posting of fines?

During my trip home I came across the Landfill site at Nerriga and the signage stated that it was only open Sunday and Monday.

Could you get back to me at with acknowledgement of this email? I hope that you can do something about this, may I suggest that you send a work crew to the Forde to investigate the garbage matters that I have raised in the coming days prior to the weekend so that they can report back to you.

Let's see what effect this has.

Nicely worded - here's hoping that Palerang council acts on it.

Cheers
Barry

This is thier response from an automated service;
Your email has been received by Palerang Council and will be distributed to the appropriate section of Council for action.

If you wish to follow up on the progress of your email, please contact Council on 02 6238 8111 or 1300 735 025 during business hours.

This is an automatically generated reply acknowledging receipt of your email.

Please do not reply to this email

Records
Palerang Council

pjg100 said:
This is thier response from an automated service;
Your email has been received by Palerang Council and will be distributed to the appropriate section of Council for action.

If you wish to follow up on the progress of your email, please contact Council on 02 6238 8111 or 1300 735 025 during business hours.

This is an automatically generated reply acknowledging receipt of your email.

Please do not reply to this email

Records
Palerang Council

Yeah, I got the same response. We'll keep on em though. Keep em honest.

Latest posts