Oallen Forde - The Good, The Bad and the "Really UGLY"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalnLiz

Wal nLiz
Reaction score
1395212976_img_1578.jpg

1395212998_img_1575_1024x765.jpg

1395213020_img_1576_1024x765.jpg

G'day Guys,

Went to the Forde on Sunday to drop off a Walbanker and show a fellow member from the Tilba region of the South Coast some pointers in tracing a gold line in a river. We went to the camping area downstream of the crossing and I've never been so disgusted in all my prospecting trips. What use to be a pristine section of the river now looks worse than our local rubbish tip, and the river edge is a health hazard to children and adults alike.

There was a group of "Dirt bike riders" camped just above this rubbish tip so I'm not putting the blame on just prospectors in the region, as I've witnessed some of these bike riders' camping ethics on previous occasions. In saying that i did unfortunately witness a prospector throwing an empty stubby into the river and went up to him to give him a piece of my mind. Happy to relay he wasn't a PA Member. It's acts like these that makes you have second thoughts about "Sniping" for gold in the area.

I'm not a betting man, but give it a couple years and a fence will be erected around the area by council and vehicle/camping access will be denied.

The prospectors code in my book is to take out of an area everything you bring in, and if this code gets broken often enough look at taking up lawn bowls or another city based hobby, as the country and wilderness areas will become a dream of the past.

I for one will no longer be suggesting locations to prospect, as the same offences with litter are also being experienced at other locations I visit like Grabben Gullen, and Little River. This was never an issue some 2 years ago. If prospectors, (and trail bike riders) don't clean up their act, they will only have themselves to blame when the sh#t hits the fan.........disappointed to say the least.

On the "good note", the walbanker removed a couple of grams for Otis in an afternoons banking.

Wal.

Oh Wal that is disgusting. The first couple of pics are so lovely then.... the rubbish. 8.(

"The prospectors code in my book is to take out of an area everything you bring in, and if this code gets broken often enough look at taking up lawn bowls or another city based hobby, as the country and wilderness areas will become a dream of the past."

Not just the prospectors code but anyone who camps or enjoys the great outdoors. My theory is if you can carry full can in you can carry the empty back out.

Absolutely no excuse for this behavior.

That pile of rubbish has been there for a few weeks now.
Its nothing less than disgusting.
When the river went up the other week There were beer bottles and all sort of rubbish floating downstream making it that little bit more dangerous for drongos that might just be caught in it. :8
If this behavior doesnt change it wont be long till our much loved freedoms such as camping will be lost.
One of my much loved spots is now off limmits to camping due to this behavior.
Im backing you all the way with this one wal.
this $#! T needs to stop now.

I always bring out more rubbish than I take in I hate people that leave beer bottles around bloody dangerous bad with just snakes and leaches broken glass keeps cutting my fingers next time I go I am taking gloves and nice gold mate shame people do this to there own homes so nothing matters to these maggots :(

That's not too bad by what I saw at the other end of the Ford.
Food covered plastic plates used as firsbies in the bush for about 50 ft around the camp tip. Burnt mattress in disgusting condition. Nappies full of brown stuff everywhere. Bourbon & coke bottles, beer cans everywhere. Broken chairs, rotting meat. Poo markers everywhere. It must have taken a week to produce that much rubbish. I can imagine how these grubs exist, there homes must be the same. I would\will provide the council with rego numbers or anything else that can identify them in the hope they are prosecuted. No respect. Can't say here what I really think. :mad:

We take a porta pottie (had one for 22 years & couldn't get 20k from home before one of the kids 'had' to go), seal the rubbish while in camp to reduce pests and take it home. It's not that hard.

I urge you to the council with rego numbers or anything else that can identify them in the hope they are prosecuted, by stay away as the are usually lowlifes anyway.

kemjak57 I'm sure they do.

I think it just comes down to laziness, and no knowledge for repect. 2 weeks ago at grabben i filled 2 full bags of rubbish but left the old matress for maybe has flees. Not as bad up at gg but this still should not happen, and if i ever catch someone littering i will definaly have a say. It is basicly an absolute joke

We have seen a few mess's left at the ford over our few years visiting, but that is just disgusting.
We will normally pick up the odd bit of junk left behind, but there is a limit to what you can do.
I too have seen discarded nappies and even a whole trail to the river (not the bush either side the actual trail) covered in toilet paper and poo with not even a rock or some sand thrown on top.

Just plain sad :mad:

People have such a disposable view on things now days...
It's not hard to double bag your trash and take it with you.

Like you said in the first post Wal, it is acts like this that WILL bring outdoor hobbies like this into disrepute, the majority of people have the moral compass to leave an area how they found it, not only for the sake of the local flora & fauna but just having a thought for others who wish to use the area.

Just lazy.

My two cents.....

Thats disgusting, very sad that some are so lazy and will eventually ruin it for all the good people who do the right thing. We too also pick up rubish left by others when camping, but that pile you would need a tipper. Just pure laziness :(

Here's an idea.
Instead of complaining about it why don't we do something about it. We could organise a clean up weekend on behalf of PA.
We could squeeze in some prospecting as well and let the council and maybe the local papers know about it.
I'm keen when I have a free weekend.

What do you think?

backcreek said:
Here's an idea.
Instead of complaining about it why don't we do something about it. We could organise a clean up weekend on behalf of PA.
We could squeeze in some prospecting as well and let the council and maybe the local papers know about it.

What do you think?

Very good idea!

Shoalhaven Get together for the forum??

Almost every popular Goldfield within 3 hours of a major city is the bloody same, even drove 30km into the Wollemi down a fire trail 1 day to find some scumbags rubbish and filthy nappy pile. Seen crap left at GG too, bags of stinking rubbish, broken glass in the creek. Was a pile of garbage at Ophir where some group had camped.

Looks like a bunch of derro's have been camping there for a year at Oallen.

backcreek said:
Here's an idea.

What do you think?

I was going to suggest to do it on clean up australia day. But it looks like we have missed it this year.

Yep, thats a real sickener Wal.

Unfortunately the grubs that do this sort of thing would never be shamed or educated into doing the right thing!! :mad:

Cheers
Qlden

The prospectors code in my book is to take out of an area everything you bring in, and if this code gets broken often enough look at taking up lawn bowls or another city based hobby, as the country and wilderness areas will become a dream of the past.

I for one will no longer be suggesting locations to prospect, as the same offenses with litter are also being experienced at other locations I visit like Grabben Gullen, and Little River. This was never an issue some 2 years ago. If prospectors, (and trail bike riders) don't clean up their act, they will only have themselves to blame when the sh#t hits the fan.........disappointed to say the least.

On the "good note", the walbanker removed a couple of grams for Otis in an afternoons banking.

Wal.

It is bushmans code and common sense as well. Unfortunately most of people born in the big cities lack both. Basically nothing can be done about this, because most of people are so desensitized by constant bombardment of advices as how to live their life, that no one pays any attention. My local parks looks like pics you posted. Anyone who has means to do it should buy property in the country. Or as Wal say, few years from now you will pay for guided tour to see Australian bush. Strictly look don't touch.
Not many of you realize how much Australia changed in last fifty years. Mostly for worst
Karl

Latest posts