Nundle Reef Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nugget - any chance you can get a VLF with a small coil to run over it? Either way, you must be close to a source around about there - certainly eluvial as opposed to alluvial. That's the sort of quartz I always look for - looks like a mouse has eaten it, that and the mineralisation signs. Either way - good on you mate.

And just to add, you can barely see any gold in it unless you wet it first. Wetting it seems to make the quartz semi-transparent.

I think my next trip will entail nothing more than a 5ltr bucket half filled with water and a rake.

loamer said:
Nugget - any chance you can get a VLF with a small coil to run over it? Either way, you must be close to a source around about there - certainly eluvial as opposed to alluvial. That's the sort of quartz I always look for - looks like a mouse has eaten it, that and the mineralisation signs. Either way - good on you mate.

I'll see if I can borrow the mother in-laws Aldi detector to try and report back.

A small coiled VLF should pick that up, albeit just a feint break in the threashold. It could turn out to be quite and interesting little patch there mate. These are the types of throwouts that the old blokes missed because they just couldn't see au, plus the quartz did not feel heavy for its size which was another method they learnt. (The bouncing shovel method)

Ramjet said:
You back home or still at Musswellbrook Nugget? I could bring my detector or pinpointer over.

Still at the Brook mate :(, thanks for the offer though.

Thanks rockerfella, the photo's were taken on my HTC One XL Smartphone and I wasn't too sure if the gold would show up very well.

Thats a nice bit of rock Nugget. Get that Dolly Pot of yours working. Time to earn its keep.
Hope you find more and more of the same
Good luck

Stop the press..... I've just crushed it and to my disbelief there was NO GOLD :mad:

Damn you PYRITES 8.(

It doesn't have the pyrite colour Nugget, at least not on my iPad , you just don't want to tell us where you found it :D 006.5 is teaching all tricks I see :)

joe said:
It doesn't have the pyrite colour Nugget, at least not on my iPad , you just don't want to tell us where you found it :D 006.5 is teaching all tricks I see :)

I wish that was the case but unfortunately not. Pyrite is the explanation I could come up with due to the reflectiveness and uncanny ability to crush into a fine dust 8)

Latest posts