New shovel = new loot :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after looking at the predator tools piranha shovel and deciding that the money would be better spent on a Garrett pro pointer i decided to make my own shovel.

A trip to Masters and a chat to one of the staff members i ended up picking up a discontinued spade that i was told retails for $30 and was reduced to $10.
When i scanned it through the register it came through at $7 :)

The spade in question is a Cyclone cottage spade.
It has a nice molded handle, hardwood timber throat and a very solid 150mm wide head.

pic courtesy of google...

1395897723_cyclone_spade.jpg

Now i ended up marking it up the same as the piranha and taking the angle grinder to it...then sharpened it up a little. I haven't cut any teeth into it yet...although may in the future, but wanted to take it for a test run.

Well it was great....on it's maiden voyage to a local oval i came back with $13 in gold coins and a silver 835 ring.

I'll post a picture of the shovel when i get home so others can see what i've done and maybe make their own? :)

A few pics of the new shovel :)
109b982c46a6b2c46153bc5d1411c384_zps32b2293e.jpg

adc54f99c58120e6ec08cf81910a3f85_zps82b9c8e0.jpg

2601bdfc3522a063267cac7e032fa590_zpsad580c4c.jpg

I may change the angle of the point...I'll give it a few more goes before I change it. Much easier to take metal off than put it on ;)

That looks like the go mate, certainly can't complain for $7, well done.

I would say bingo!!!!!! Bingo, you certainly had a good win there, thanks for sharing, hope it digs you lots of treasures!

Thanks guys...just thought I'd share so others might be able to save a few bucks too.

scrubby52 said:
Good on you Bingo, hope u had a little change to buy the Garret pro pointer :) scrubby

The pro pointer's in the mail...ordered it on Monday & can't wait to try it out!

Great looking shovel & bargain.
Bunning's are doing stock take so they are seling lots of items 1's & 2's so they don't have to count. I picked up makita cordless worth $199 for $89 & a impact driver worth $229 for $99. got some good bargains at present.

dave14110 said:
Great looking shovel & bargain.
Bunning's are doing stock take so they are seling lots of items 1's & 2's so they don't have to count. I picked up makita cordless worth $199 for $89 & a impact driver worth $229 for $99. got some good bargains at present.

Gotta be happy with those prices! Makita make some great gear.

Bingo said:
scrubby52 said:
Good on you Bingo, hope u had a little change to buy the Garret pro pointer :) scrubby

The pro pointer's in the mail...ordered it on Monday & can't wait to try it out!

Pro pointer turned up!! can't wait to get out and try it tonight :)

I love it
There is a attachment you can get to mount it to your detector shaft
Makes it harder to leave the pro pointer at home lol

Latest posts