My First Impression of the new SDC 2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried one of these bad boys on a beach yet - say for example at the low tide zone looking for rings etc?

I have Loamer, no luck yet, I keep finding rediculously small junk and it slows me down, I think need a CTX for the beach with it's discrimination capabilities.

Depends where the connectors are.

If the connectors were on the bottom of the coil where the coil side had a dual brass washer (for the 2 cables)
and same with the coil stem and as they are bolted together connection is made I could understand and would be easy.

How another coil is going to be added I am not sure and you have to remember this sdc is designed to be used in water.

What I would like to start seeing though are some youtube videos on tiny nuggets being plucked at a good depth.

All I have been told is there is a connection in the lower stem & it seems feasible at this early stage?
They have other coils for the ATX & Infinium. They are waterproof too? Will have to wait & see. Smarter men than me are looking into it.
I have seen real life action - that will do me :)

Oh & St Arnaud - no gold there. Go somewhere else ;)
(sorry forgot about the secret thing - smack on the bare bottom for me :lol: )

That makes sense and that's the way I would of designed it is with the connector on the bottom.

If it is on the bottom then its feasible.

Syndyne lets look at your .23 gram nugget.

What does this nugget air test at where you can hear it?

I had great time mate, 3 days wasn't long enough. Always a pleasure to catch up with you and your Dad. I really enjoy sitting around after a good detect and talking about the Gold, minerals and gemstones too over a cuppa. Looking forward to catching up again soon.

Wolfau said:

Not much point air testing with the SDC Wolf, it feels to me it actually detects things better when they are in the ground. Regardless of ground type....

I've seen the piece that doesn't even register on the scales, we detected together for 3 days and I saw the holes Shauno removed about 20 of his pieces from. He was using a nice sharp pick as to gently scrape the layers away, some were on top, others were quite deep approaching just under a foot deep.

Not sure about my bits, I was a bit more heavy handed, lol, need more patience and a sharper pick. :D

Heatho said:
Wolfau said:

Not much point air testing with the SDC Wolf, it feels to me it actually detects things better when they are in the ground. Regardless of ground type....

I've seen the piece that doesn't even register on the scales, we detected together for 3 days and I saw the holes Shauno removed about 20 of his pieces from. He was using a nice sharp pick as to gently scrape the layers away, some were on top, others were quite deep approaching just under a foot deep.

Not sure about my bits, I was a bit more heavy handed, lol, need more patience and a sharper pick. :D

Just want to compare some previous air tests thats all.

We know the target depth the nugget was found at. For my curiosity I would like to know how that nugget air tests.

This will also give others an indication between air test vs real detecting depth as well.

Thank You

Great report and result Syndyne you obviously have some great ground up there to work on.
See you also run a 5000, a steeper learning curve than the SDC obviously, have you managed a few finds with it as yet or still learning.
Cheers T.

Cheers Heatho! Truly was a great few days and a lot of fun! Looking forward to the next swing.

Hi Teemore,
Found a couple bits with the 5000 early in the year at a couple different spots, but I've now found gold in areas I ran the 8x6 Sadie over very well, even gridded some areas and still missed it due to a bit of hot ground and EMI most likely. Heatho and I also had the thought that nugget orientation in the ground and a slight halo effect would also play a part in detection. I'm certainly no gun on the 5000 but I have found a tiny .14gm bit with it at Stuart Town and a couple half grammers.

Hi Wolf,
I will eventually get the pics up but I'm relegated to my mobile for the duration (unless I can get one of the other members to post the pic on my behalf). I don't really like air testing on a PI machine as it doesn't really offer a good comparison unlike VLF does. I can certainly try it for you though.

Picked up the GPX and ran it over the area before lunch. Fine Gold, 11 Commander Mono and had some difficulties with hot ground and EMI once again so had to resort to Enhance. No luck. Switched over to the SDC and now have two small pieces for the afternoon. Had a very sweet sounding signal late this evening that turned out to be a very old shotgun primer casing at 15 inches depth (2/3 of my pick handle). I thought I had a real beauty too :D

Cheers,
Shauno.

Syndyne,

I would appreciate it if you could air test that .23 grammer for me since you dug it out at 10".

I am fully aware PI's don't air test well and I do own a 3500 but would like to compare your air test and real time detecting
depth to a nugget piece I tested on the 2300. This will give me a really good idea on how much better the 2300 works in ground
and can make a rough gauge on the real depth I am likely to dig the nugget I air tested. No other reason.

Thanks

I've been looking at a 2nd detector for my wife. But also to compliment my GPX5000 when out by myself. The 5000 coils I have are 8", 11" and 18"x11" monos and 11" and 15"x12" DD.

After reading this thread and exploring the web and just on price alone, here's what I found; (Ignoring batteries, chargers and headphones as they all are supplied with them)

Garrett ATX is $3,399 and comes with a sling, soft case and 10"x12" DD.

Garrett ATX Deep Seeker Package $3,999 and comes with a sling, soft case plus and a 10"x12" DD. Plus a 15"x20" Mono and a hard case.

Minelab SDC2300 is $3,995 and has an 8" Mono. (the soft case is an additional $89.10) (The coil is not inter-changeable)

The 8" Garrett Mono is $729 sold separately and the 15"x20" is $829 sold separately.

However my questions are;
Has anyone compared the SDC2300 against the Garrett ATX using an 8" coil on both?
Given the prices above, the Deep Seeker Package is the best value and the Garrett detector has inter-changeble coils, would this be the better buy?

(I have emailed Garrett Australia re changing the Deep Seeker Package coils to the 10x12 DD and the 8" Mono in lieu of the 15x20 Mono. Which is actually $100 cheaper bought separately. I'll post the response when I get it.)

I guess, given the capability of my 5000, I'm looking for a 2nd detector for small gold, but that my wife can use as well.

Wolfau said:
Syndyne,

I would appreciate it if you could air test that .23 grammer for me since you dug it out at 10".

I am fully aware PI's don't air test well and I do own a 3500 but would like to compare your air test and real time detecting
depth to a nugget piece I tested on the 2300. This will give me a really good idea on how much better the 2300 works in ground
and can make a rough gauge on the real depth I am likely to dig the nugget I air tested. No other reason.

Thanks

A friend with a 5000 in fine gold and an 8" mono can only get around 4" in an air test on a 0.22 gram nugget.

I remember viewing my friends DVD that JP produced for the 5000 and in it Bruce Candy said a smooth timing such as fine gold will get 98% of an air test depth in the ground as well.....so I wonder if the timing the SDC uses would do the same?

Therefore it would be interesting to compare the air test depth using the 0.23 gram against its in the ground depth of 10".

I have another question,

The Garrettt ATX uses 8 x 1.5 VDC batteries @ 12 volts. The blurb says it will get 12 hours from Alkalines and 10 hrs from rechargables.

The SDC2300 uses 4 x 1.5 VDC batteries @ 6 volts.

I've looked on the Minelab site and downloaded the manual and have not been able to find a suggested battery life.

Does anyone know what it is please?

washgravel said:
Wolfau said:
Syndyne,

Thanks

A friend with a 5000 in fine gold and an 8" mono can only get around 4" in an air test on a 0.22 gram nugget.

I remember viewing my friends DVD that JP produced for the 5000 and in it Bruce Candy said a smooth timing such as fine gold will get 98% of an air test depth in the ground as well.....so I wonder if the timing the SDC uses would do the same?

Therefore it would be interesting to compare the air test depth using the 0.23 gram against its in the ground depth of 10".

Yes it would and the answer could determine if i do or
Do not make the purchase because i know how deep
The 5000 would ping such target.

Lets hope we do get an answer though..

I would be happy with a back yard air test..

Latest posts