My First Impression of the new SDC 2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for sharing subgram

I had a bloke with the 5k and small mono try tell he could get the same targets the sdc will get and
in air test's he was right. but when I told him to bury the targets to the same depth he was getting in the air it was a different story. the sdc was still a clear signal but nothing from the 5k. so try burying your target and see which machine loses the target first on small stuff.

I'm not sure what size the target has to be for the bigger minelabs to start getting better depth, but
for stuff smaller than bb shot it's the sdc that wins, especially number 10 shot which is really doing
my head in cause it's everywhere since the previos detectors are not getting it at these depths

don't get me wrong I'm not saying the sdc is better than the other minelabs as I stll use the 5k for normal detecting, but the sdc craps all over other minelabs on small targets at depth.

just saying air test's mean nothing, as it always different in the ground. even a vlf will beat a p.i in air
test's but we all know what happens when you get vlf's in hot ground.
regards tm

The only main issue with the SDC2300 is how its going to go with EMI. My biggest issue with running fine gold on my GPX5000 is EMI. At least with the 5000 i have options to control the interference. I do like a lot of things about the SDC, compact, portable, waterproof and ease of operation. Weight? well it still weights the same as a gpx. How it handles EMI is my main concern, up in this part of Australia any way? The gpx in fine gold only has to look at a rain cloud and it starts chattering, i wonder what the SDC will do?

Roscoe said:
The gpx in fine gold only has to look at a rain cloud and it starts chattering, i wonder what the SDC will do?

Not sure what area you're in but I've used it without any problems in light rain/drizzle which got the better of me not the detector, (not Qld thunderstorm conditions).
Cheers T.

Roscoe said:
The only main issue with the SDC2300 is how its going to go with EMI. My biggest issue with running fine gold on my GPX is EMI. At least with the 5000 i have options to control the interference. I do like a lot of things about the SDC, compact, portable, waterproof and ease of operation. Weight? well it still weights the same as a gpx. How it handles EMI is my main concern, up in this part of Australia any way? The gpx in fine gold only has to look at a rain cloud and it starts chattering, i wonder what the SDC will do?
I know of several examples of people getting gold near powerlines & other EMI hotspots where the GPX is all but unusable. From all reports it is handling EMI, hot rocks etc. very nicely.

NQld Teemore, Early in the morning no problems but as the day warms up then its to noisy. Its good to know how your SDC is going Teemore. I think the 8 inch coil that comes with the SDC would help it with EMI problems. I look outside right now and see big fluffy clouds (cumulonimbus congestus)and the temp here is 26 deg c. Its the dry season (hasn't stopped raining yet), but i know that a day like this will have bucket loads of EMI. This happens a lot up here, so you can see my concerns. :)

Sorry Mbasko i was typing as you post. That's good to know if it can get close to power lines then thats a really good sign it would handle EMI in the field, thanks. :)

I got one morning where mine was a bit wobbly from EMI and was proving difficult to use. I stopped and had a break for an hour and after lunch it was fine, my detecting partner had the same issue the previous day, same thing happened, we had a break for lunch and in the afternoon it was fine.

Planes can still give it a little bit of EMI too, but way better than the 5000 when it takes a while for a plane to pass before stabilising again. Some rocks can give a bit of ground noise but not enough to get you digging them. I pinged my first 3 without the headphones too so am confident in the speaker for the really hot days you don't want to wear them. Headphones are the go though.

Sometimes we were working only about 10 metres apart and there was no problem either.

Everything Iv seen on the SDC2300 is impressive but one, and I keep seeing it when people are comparing it to PI detectors already out' If it's GB in high mineralisation it looses sensitivity to small gold (0.1-0.2g small) I see this as an issue.
Don't get me wrong I'm not bagging the SDC coz I'd like one but I'm not getting one if I keep seeing poor results on targets that I know I could find with the GMT.

Mate you keep saying this but can only show one pretty dodgy "test" done in a park with a bucket of horseshit dirt.
I have seen the gold being found off real goldfields in situ. It is finding gold down to 0.01 gram & even smaller on goldfields - not in tests - so doesn't seem to loose to much sensitivity in our mineralised goldfields. It is finding bigger gold & nice speccis too.
Having had a GMT I would guarantee that the SDC2300 will handle & perform better in hot ground. There were places I couldn't even put the coil down with it. The GMT is not a hot ground machine but still a very good machine to have.

The good news i think is its game over here in central
Victoria anyway in reference to new gold pi detectors
Being sold and what the market needs.

What i mean is most gold bearing soil is shallow with
Patches here and there for the deeper stuff.

No matter what super duper detectors are made and sold
For the cost of a good used vehicle in the future there are
Now detectors available for the tiny and deep stuff with
A combo of coil and detector choices.

You can use an sdc2300 or gmt for the tiny stuff, you
Could use a spp as well then you can use a 3500 or a
4500 with a 16" or 18" for the deeper stuff and so on.

The next super duper detector that will become a good
Seller needs to provide more tools for the prospector.
It needs to be light weight, have gps, sweet tones,
And Simple to operate with affordable coil choices.

Interesting times ahead.

I'm just an open minded bloke on a open minded forum looking for answers' when I'm interested in buying a new detector I look for all the negatives that people can find' I want the SDC 2300 and could get it tomorrow but until these few issues Iv found are explained I'm holding off' I'll add them as links so others can look & some have already been talked about.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/whitesgoldmaster/index.php?showtopic=750

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EVRUtDeWED8

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_D9f4PO9ae4

Horseshit dirt or not it shouldn't GB out the 0.2g nugget

That's just my point. In real situations on mineralised goldfields its not balancing out 0.2 gram nuggets but finding them & much smaller. (bigger too + nice speccis). Tests are ok but its real in situ finds that really interest me.
My info isn't coming from youtube but from blokes I know using them with success. There seems to be far more positive posts than negative out there too. I reckon it's a winner but it's only an opinion. I'll know more after tomorrow when I get to check it out properly on a goldfield. From just seeing it & having a quick play in town I think a nugget tomorrow will have me sold :lol:

Zuke_Lynzy said:
I'm just an open minded bloke on a open minded forum looking for answers' when I'm interested in buying a new detector I look for all the negatives that people can find' I want the SDC 2300 and could get it tomorrow but until these few issues Iv found are explained I'm holding off' I'll add them as links so others can look & some have already been talked about.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/whitesgoldmaster/index.php?showtopic=750

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EVRUtDeWED8

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_D9f4PO9ae4

Horseshit dirt or not it shouldn't GB out the 0.2g nugget

The 8" detech mono coil is a very impressive coil
And is very sensitive.

mbasko said:
That's just my point. In real situations on mineralised goldfields its not balancing out 0.2 gram nuggets but finding them & much smaller. (bigger too + nice speccis). Tests are ok but its real in situ finds that really interest me.
My info isn't coming from youtube but from blokes I know using them with success. There seems to be far more positive posts than negative out there too. I reckon it's a winner but it's only an opinion. I'll know more after tomorrow when I get to check it out properly on a goldfield. From just seeing it & having a quick play in town I think a nugget tomorrow will have me sold :lol:

Some bits never even registered on the scales, I'd be surprised if no nugs come out. :)

Explain me this? Why are we getting excited over very, very, very sub gram nuggets?? On a detector that costs $1,000s? OK - find a patch of sub-grammers, what then? Hmm - whack on a bigger coil - can they?

I agree to some degree. I believe the SDC2300 was never meant to replace the GPX series detectors but rather compliment them in certain situations (such as patch hunting / cleaning out). As good as they sound, I'm not sure that I could personally justify the outlay, but then again if money wasn't an issue I'd probably buy one just to keep up with the Jones's.

In saying that I can't wait to see one in action, and at the end of the day, gold's gold no matter what the size.

Latest posts