Mudgee region information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben78

Ben
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am going to Mudgee for 4 days with the wife and kids and have gotten myself a full day leave pass to go detecting.

I am looking for info on where I can go to detect and hopefully get my first piece of detected gold.

Does anyone know of any private properties that I can pay to detect? Since I don't know the area and I can't seem to get any info on tours in the area I am a little lost.

I just want to go detect some gold. Any information given will be treated with the utmost confidence and I will be respectful of anyones hard earned patch if such info is given.

Happy to drive up to an hour or so out to get on the ground.

Ben

Thanks Pauly, I ended up spending a few hours in the Hargraves common on the Louisa Creek diggings. Found a LOT of shotgun pellets deep in slate but no gold.... Grrr

Going to Nundle/Hanging Rock tomorrow to have a go.

My brother just sold his property at Deepwater and is now looking for a place in Mudgee so after the Nundle trip, I might pop in at his new digs in Mudgee. Anyone know of some good spots for detecting of even teaming up would be greatly appreciated. I will confirm my intentions as we get closer. I want to see how good the ATX really is.

You have Hill End, Sofala, Wattle Flat, Windeyer, Hargraves, Gulgong all within an hour. Hill End would be a good testing ground for it I reckon.
Mostly private property around Mudgee/Gulgong but there are plenty of areas you can get on at the other locations. Let me know when your about. Would love a closer look at the ATX in action plus I could show you a few accessible spots to try it out if work/time permits.

Halfway between Mudgee and Hargraves their is a Caravan Park on the Eastern side of the Lake Burrendong dam. You must access it via the caravan park and pay a small fee ($5.00?) to get a token for the day to open the gate. From Mudgee take the Hill End road - turn right on Yarrabin Road and follow to the Cudgegong River Park.
Plenty of areas to detect or pan. If the ranger is about he may offer information.
regards, Ned

If you head to the Mudgee end of Burrendong the road can be rough but passable by 2wd. Its a nice place but the good spots are on private or leased property & I know that the landowners/lease holders get fed up with trespassing (not just from fossickers but mainly campers looking for firewood, shooters etc.).
Best to do some research & get prior permission first or make sure you stay in the park boundaries but I've never heard of anything coming out of the park itself? Been going out there on & off for over 30 years but never seen any fossicking there either. Might be a well kept secret & Ned's let the cat out of the bag :lol: Don't know that the park trust are keen on it - they don't advertise it as an activity out there if they are.

Hey guys ive been reading all the posts lately and have been to busy to get out and try and find some colour. But im going to a mates st ulan tomorrow is there anywere in the bylong valley worth trying? Im coming from newcastl. Realy wish I could have gotten to thr nundle trip but no time. Good news is ive got leave over easter weekend and hope to get out then

Don't know of anything out Bylong Valley way for gold. Most creeks around here are very low or completely dry so panning etc. might be a bit hard. You could try around Home Rule or Gulgong. Not sure about Home Rule but there should be some water around Gulgong in Wyaldra Creek or the Cudgegong but you would need to research possible spots & access.
If you wanted to head south of Mudgee then, depending on water which I reckon would be nearly non existent now, Windeyer or Hargraves would be worth a shot. Haven't been to Windeyer in months but it was dry then so won't have improved any. Might be a bit of water in the Meroo around Windeyer, Maitland Bar or Hargraves? The Louisa at Hargraves might have enough to pan some spots too?
The Cudgegong around Mudgee has water & gold has been found along its course but it would be trial & error on spots to try. Access is a barrier due to private land & you would need to research likely spots that can be accessed. There are no designated fossicking areas in Mudgee/Gulgong themselves. The tourist information centre will send you to Windeyer, Hargraves or Hill End. There were still a few puddles at Tambaroora (Hill End) but that was a few weeks ago when I was there last & there hasn't been any rain to speak of since then.
Failing that a trip to Sofala may be it if you want to wet a pan.

Gday Fellow Prospectors,

Just getting into the metal detecting scene. Just got back from Tibooburra where I picked up 22 sub grammers. Ill post some photos later.

I am interested in having a look around the Mudgee, Hill End area and am chasing a bit of information or if anyone is keen to go for a run I can pretty much go whenever for the next 6 weeks.

Any info appreciated or if you want to go for a run out let me know.

Deano

pablo71 said:
Hello was after so info is there anyone doin tours around mudgee cheers all

Yes there are one of our members from this forum has taken me and others out and the local detector store has some one working there that run tours as well have his information somewhere will look it up

Latest posts