Minelab SDC2300 information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ta NJ, I already have that version, whilst it mentions the new battery, there are no mention, pictures or descriptions of any other new or improved parts.
Surely there must be an updated one?

just some small ones, but I'd like to see them.

1592890592_capture.jpg

From Jaros's Link above:

AUDIO DISCRIMINATION

The SDC 2300 gold detector audio response provides discrimination in the form of pitch and tone when the coil passes over ferrous or non-ferrous targets, similarly with amplitude and duration for shallow and deep targets. A louder, shorter sound will indicate a shallow target while a quieter, broader sound will indicate the presence of a deep, large target. A target that sounds off multiple times each swing will invariably be a near-surface or surface target.

I don't use a 2300, ( use a Z)wondered if this is a new function or was on the original 2300 eg. "A louder, shorter sound will indicate a shallow target etc " Its not in Redfins update onfo.

Peter

Redfin said:

Redesigned NDT headphones (with replaceable cable):
https://www.minelab.com/anzea/accessories/sdc-2300-headphones

Li-ion batteries:
https://www.minelab.com/anzea/accessories/sdc-2300-rechargeable-lithium-ion-battery

Coil joint/knuckle protector:
https://www.minelab.com/anzea/accessories/sdc-2300-coil-joint-protector

Armrest cover:
https://www.minelab.com/anzea/accessories/sdc-2300-armrest-cover

As close as I can get you Redfin. No updated manual with the new accessories as yet.

*Pretty much what a lot of us have been doing for years - along with other "mods" like speaker trumpet, various stands, clip on arm rest lock (keeps armrest from closing), various wifi systems etc.
Minelab could do so much more to better this detector in it's current form & use it's internals in a lightweight non foldable model if they wanted to really improve things.

PeterInSa said:
From Jaros's Link above:

AUDIO DISCRIMINATION

The SDC 2300 gold detector audio response provides discrimination in the form of pitch and tone when the coil passes over ferrous or non-ferrous targets, similarly with amplitude and duration for shallow and deep targets. A louder, shorter sound will indicate a shallow target while a quieter, broader sound will indicate the presence of a deep, large target. A target that sounds off multiple times each swing will invariably be a near-surface or surface target.

I don't use a 2300, ( use a Z)wondered if this is a new function or was on the original 2300 eg. "A louder, shorter sound will indicate a shallow target etc " Its not in Redfins update onfo.

Peter
No not a new function.
A lot of people can get fairly accurate with Identifying targets using PI detectors based on tone/pitch but IMO it's a long way from being 100% accurate. I'm sure most of us have a story or two of digging what they thought would be junk but it wasn't. :goldnugget:

mbasko said:
I'm sure most of us have a story or two of digging what they thought would be junk but it wasn't. :goldnugget:

mbasko, And the reverse, thinking you are onto a good one and up comes junk. One that immediately comes to mind was my last trip with my old faithful 4500 before upgrading to the Z.
A clear mellow signal which improved as I dug in what I thought was virgin open ground. (No creeks, no wash?) Wrong! About 300mm down and sticking out of ground after my last dig was the corroded brass end off a shotgun cartridge. (How the hell did it end up so deep?)

Apart from battery not much is a change. The new version has recharge plug in kit fir Liion battery. Not sure yet of battery run time but can keep you posted.

The armrest is just a neoprene cover, but comes in the box instead of as an add on.

The head phones go from sdc plug to a small male jack, these clip into a socket on the base of one headphone side, there are two "wings" that slip into place, one 1/4 turn and are locked into position.

Knuckle protector is just the same as any aftermarket one, except comes in the box. Just clicks into place the same way.

I only know this as one of the local blokes asked me around to have a look after he picked one up.

Said it seems a little better sound over stock. Awaiting his further thoughts with some more time on machine. :Y:

A lot of people believe the li-ion batteries make the SDC run smoother.
Personally I tried both li-ion then fully charged C cells & couldn't tell much difference if any.
That could change as the C cells lose further voltage? The li-ion batteries have higher start voltage & less drop. Could be something to it or just placebo? SDC voltage is internally regulated anyway.
Obvious advantages to me were a little bit less weight, no turn offs due to battery movement & able to store li-ion batteries longer between trips with very little drop in charge.
That said apart from testing the li-ion batteries I only used the supplied C cells as they were still lasting all day anyway. (already had the li-ion batteries to try so just used some aftermarket sleeves to suit).

Clegy mentuoned the same about regulated voltage over the course of runtime, in theory it should be correct, the only way to test would be undug targets. Then over time (say a few hours) the conditions may change so it becomes difficult to be certain. Maybe low Litho vs low alkaline/nimh test on undug?

The battery is certainly notably lighter though.

Ta for that.
So an adapter is still need for other headphones, speakers etc.
Has the headphones cable been lengthened?

Yep still has the same poxy headphone jack so you need the adapter for other headphones, boosters/speakers etc.
Not sure if the cable on the new headphones is longer? Maybe someone can measure & compare for us? You'd hope it would be.

Pity the new 2300 did not come with WiFi Headphones like the Nox or a better the Z's WM12 speaker with Headphone jack. I have set up an ebay Wifi Transmitter on the 2300 and a ebay receiver connected to the dealer supplied amplifier in SWMBO's back pack to drive a speaker on her shoulder, Will try out next trip.

1160 long new one. I reckon if you were handy you could go into jaycar and get an adapter and convert to female stock plug, just need to allow for wings on male end of new cord.

So, OldGT, how much longer than before.
As for playing with adapters, stuff that, for a V2 @4k it would need to be perfect.

The SDC2300 Koss UR30's should be about 750mm (30") unstretched so new headphones should be about 400mm (16") longer?
I agree - expected a lot more in a version 2, not just already available accessories.