Minelab SDC 2300 Metal Detector is Coming Soon in 2014!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeez mate - you should start your own video series & get some affiliation with Whites then go on a roadshow.

Possible vid titles:
The Suburban Prospector Series - presented by Aurum Ad Domum
  • Unleashing the TDI Series on the Kitchen Bench While the Missus Cooks Dinner[/*]
  • The TDI Fluoro X Factor[/*]
  • The AIRTEST Project[/*]
  • Unwrapping the SPP in the Lounge Room[/*]

Just kidding mate :p but seeing as though we are getting some laughs at the expense of others I thought why not :lol:

Thanks for the link, I think in context the whole discussion on that thread had real merit.

Aside from the Whites TDI commemts, judging from the the rest of the thread, the general concensus was that it may be an excellent detector on small gold, but the pricing was way out of their ballpark. To state that the sdc is for someone starting out in gold detecting is a bit rich considering the price.

I'm sure a lot of these will be making their way onto the African market no doubt, that's where the $$$ are these days.

If you need a waterproof gold machine the SDC 2300 is another choice at $3995.

http://www.minersden.com.au/minelab-sdc-2300-metal-detector/

Otherwise you could always buy a used GPX 4500 at around the same price 2nd hand.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MineLab-GPX4500-/171273154384

Also an honourable mention must go to Garrett for introducing the ATX not long ago.

What is something worth? Depends on the market and what one is willing to pay and
what competition a product has which determines price. It's really that simple.

Agree, for someone starting out the $1195 price tag of the SPP is much more attractive.
Also agree that Minelab may miss an opportunity with this detector - maybe not at the entry level but for people looking for a back up or mid priced gold detector.
Better priced at say around the $2500-3000 mark would allow price comparison to the Whites TDI & bring it in under the price of what will be it's biggest competitor the ATX. In marketing terms that would open it up as being very attractive to a lot more people considering an alternate to a GPX or even something to complement their gold detecting kit but also getting the portability & the versatility of wet prospecting.

Any chance they will hire these after release to allow a definable test of its capabilities? A machine at 100 grams give or take to break even seems steep if its capabilities are aligned to a gram and under, but perhaps covering the cost of hire its not too far out of the realm. Cannot wait to see what it can do.

The thing that amazes me about detectors in particular, is the controlled,slow up dates. I don't believe the current models are the latest available technology, as good as it could be. it seems to be all about re-couping previous R &D costs. it is similar to the car industry. all other electronic products
update regularly,and the price generally comes down. of course, market sales are far higher for consumables.
if you can build a surf p.i. for about $500 there's a clue.learn as you go,improve it etc. just a thought.

mbasko said:
Also agree that Minelab may miss an opportunity with this detector - maybe not at the entry level but for people looking for a back up or mid priced gold detector.
Better priced at say around the $2500-3000 mark

if this was to occur for example and the sdc2300 is really hot on small gold and sold for $3000 what would this do to the
current line of detectors new and second hand price wise?

How would someone feel who paid $6500 for a GPX 5000 who uses a 8" mono or sadie coil looking for small gold?

What happens now if Garrett introduce a new version of the ATX and drop the price to $1995 or $2500 Aus?

Interesting times lay ahead.

Wolfau said:
mbasko said:
Better priced at say around the $2500-3000 mark

if this was to occur for example and the sdc2300 is really hot on small gold and sold for $3000 what would this do to the
current line of detectors new and second hand price wise?

How would someone feel who paid $6500 for a GPX 5000 who uses a 8" mono or sadie coil looking for small gold?

What happens now if Garrett introduce a new version of the ATX and drop the price to $1995 or $2500 Aus?

Business in my opinion with competitors is like playing a game of chess.

CHESS, yes. and who are the winners. I don't think it is us,the consumer. a gpx5000 may be good at finding gold, but is it really worth $6500 ?
are detectors generally over priced given their relatively basic technology ? detectors go back to the 1940's and the technology has improved,as it must,
over the last 60 years. there is nothing earth shattering about it as I believe they could and should be better. I see this as a form of controlled obsolescence. IMHO.

Goldpick said:
Aside from the Whites TDI commemts, judging from the the rest of the thread, the general concensus was that it may be an excellent detector on small gold, but the pricing was way out of their ballpark. To state that the sdc is for someone starting out in gold detecting is a bit rich considering the price.

I'm sure a lot of these will be making their way onto the African market no doubt, that's where the $$$ are these days.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUeNozYadNU[/video]

Some of these guys are using T2's and I read somewhere online their detecting grounds are not as highly mineralised.

Wolfau said:
Interesting times lay ahead.

Yep!

Wolfau said:

I don't think it will worry them. Those that only chase the small/fine gold & use a GPX with a sadie or 8" mono may sell them thus reducing a little the 2nd hand resale but in all honesty I don't think that will happen. Most people who have GPX's will continue detecting how they do now with the knowledge that if the opportunity presents they have the capability to adjust to a lot of various situations i.e. bigger coils, more settings etc.
I'd like to have one of these SDC2300's but won't be selling the 5000 to get one & can't justify $4k to have it as part of a "kit" - not in the short term anyway :p

I think a ATX and a SDC shoot out is needed, even though I drive a Nissan patrol ute I'm still very pro support your country, I still like to think that the minelab was built for Australian conditions unlike the piece of s##t Holden Colorado.
Dose the American soil represent ours.
Has anyone hit a target, and before digging it tested different machines.
Do all the air tests you like, bury as many pieces as you like, nothing resembles the REAL THING in testing like un disturbed soil, and that goes for boring holes in the side of banks to do depth, and sensitivity tests.
I always dreamed of a light on my detector that flashed when I had hit a target, more so a green one for nonferrous and a red one for ferrous, if some people can pick the difference in sound from ferrous to nonferrous, why can't these metal detector manufactures develop a system like this, it works on discrimination mode just chuck a LED light on it, you'll get my money.

Latest posts