Minelab SDC 2300 Metal Detector is Coming Soon in 2014!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There won't be any other size coils released at this time, as the whole programming side of it is for small nuggets, compared the 5000 which is geared for the mid to larger nuggets and the odd smaller size thrown in
Still a couple mths before the release of it too according the miners den

I've seen a few people pull 0.02 gram bits at decent depth with the 5000.. I can't imagine wasting 4 grand when for an extra $2500 you can have the best with the same capabilities..

Hey Joe I would imagine Coiltek will want to bring out new coils for it down the track as they have done with the CTX3030.

Downhalo I agree the 5000 is still the king of the detectors out there.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Stop it' stop it' I don't need another detector!!

Same here :) I think would get the dog house permanently if I bought another detector

Jonathan Porter said:
"If you compare the SDC 2300 to the Whites SPP in Aussie soils you will soon realize the SDC is more than twice the detector the Whites is, so from a price comparison point of view the SDC is VERY good value. Same goes for the ATX, as an example (and I have posted this before), I found zero gold on a well known patch with the ATX in four hours detecting time, whereas the exact same patch yielded 14 nuggets for 4 1/2 grams to the SDC. If I had any readers of this forum out detecting with me on that occasion and you were contemplating purchasing a new metal detector which one would you plumb for?"

"people should probably think very carefully before making such an investment, I never advise people to buy a metal detector based on the gold they MIGHT find with it. However people who CAN afford the SDC (usually with gold they have found with their other detectors) will not be disappointed, especially the Sadie brigade."

Looks like the sort of detector the would good to cart around if your bush walking or riding, new patch finder to then go back over with the 5, my dad was keen on a 5 but after playing with mine he reckons there are to many adjustments to be made, this would be right up his alley.

Sorry I just lost all respect for JP as all I could do is laugh' sorry but it might be a great detector for tiny objects anywhere even underwater 10 foot, I'd love one but there is no way it's twice the detector as any other know PI out there especially when it's 4x the price of the SPP that's not even been out long enough to test it against? I believe in pushing product but you can't bag out another one along the way. Do we even know if this SDC will even see deeper gold? Sorry but once again it's in a class of its own and for the price there is more value in other PI detectors not naming brands
I think it's funny that the opposition has out smarted minelab twice now.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Sorry I just lost all respect for JP as all I could do is laugh' sorry but it might be a great detector for tiny objects anywhere even underwater 10 foot, I'd love one but there is no way it's twice the detector as any other know PI out there especially when it's 4x the price of the SPP that's not even been out long enough to test it against? I believe in pushing product but you can't bag out another one along the way. Do we even know if this SDC will even see deeper gold? Sorry but once again it's in a class of its own and for the price there is more value in other PI detectors not naming brands

good points. dunno about JP. l get the feeling that he is biased. what is his real objective ? some people know their detectors really well and can
find things that others can't. I disagree with the policy that gold'' machines must be expensive,that is just marketing. the most expensive components are the R & D.
why aren't top end detectors getting cheaper with technological and manufacting advances,like most other product ?
I have yet to test my theory, but with basic research and some loaming,crevicing, panning etc with say a goldbug 2 or similar,i reckon you'd have a fair chance.

I find it interesting that an undercurrent of being overpriced runs deep especially with a Minelab offering. The value of versatility and compactness seems lost in the wider circles of opinion and probably rightly so. The aim I guess was to create value in a machine to trek in on new ground and maximise the time whilst detecting to unearth a new patch. The user then can bring in a machine with greater capability to hunt it out. But for most users I guess its a case of too much for too little advantage.

The beauty of competition is the various companies put out various products and you get to decide what fits your own needs and budget. I do get a chuckle though over pricing issues. Is a Rolex really worth 1000 times more than my cheap digital watch? Mine tells time just as accurately if not better. Is your Hummer better than my Toyota?

I own a half dozen of the most expensive detectors made. I could sell them all and it would only get me a fraction of what I would need to buy a really top of the line set if golf clubs.

How do people afford RVs the size of my house?

It is all relative blokes.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
So you've lost respect for a bloke that achieves more in a year than most of us will in a lifetime. This is a bloke that freely offers advice including helping with sorting people's operating issues, settings etc. The unfortunate thing is by doing so he leaves himself open to the forum "experts" that wouldn't spend 1% of the time he does prospecting.
I wish I hadn't posted his thoughts now but I didn't find them funny. They were put up to possibly help anyone that may be thinking of purchasing one & I thought his statement re: thinking carefully before making any investment was good advice.
How do you know that he hasn't had an SPP in his hands & is qualified to make an opinion about the comparison to the SDC? When did you test the SDC to qualify you to make the statement that there is no way it is twice the detector of any other known PI? Nobody would know that & if JP's comments are read in context of his testing it will certainly be a capable machine for those who can afford it & want that type of machine.
I am not bagging the Whites machines, in fact I have owned a couple & they are very capable, but the fact is most people who get them or others like an Infinium will at some stage upgrade to a Minelab product or even the ATX. That says it all to me.

So stands the point, best technology, highest price. Its a valid point, did I find my motorbike overpriced when is rrp was over that of 5000? No. I just bought because I wanted it, because it was the best machine I could afford to partake in my pursuit of a hobby. If I was making decisions regarding the best detector with the best technology it would be no different to the price its at. As with all things though its about value, an the sdc price compared to the other offerings seems on the high side of good value.

I'm glad there are people out there that have found $4000 worth if gold to fund a sdc2300, but surely they would have to be in the minority - to own an sdc and gpx5000 would be prohibitive price wise for most people detecting for gold.

If he claims the sdc is twice the detector that the spp is, make you wonder whether the $4000 price tag being thrown about is indeed accurate. I find it a bit strange to single out the spp to use as a comparison, leads me to think that they are worried about the spp chewing into their market due to such low pricing, despite having different capabilities. Otherwise, why even bother comparing to the spp, they shouldn't even be in the same league performance and feature wise, especially on very small sub gram gold in Oz mineralised soils, and you wouldn't expect so for the price.

Oh well, I guess it will all come out in the wash once the detector is released onto the market.

Sorry - to clarify I should have noted this in the original post. The only reason it was compared to the SPP was in response to another post.
Jack outwest said:
I also feel ML have missed an opportunity with this mid level detector , Whites now have the SPP for sale in Australia for $1195

To further clarify it is probably best (although not the ideal) to add the link so people can read it fully & also some of the comments, including from JP, in response. I wouldn't normally link to an outside forum but in this case I think it is fair so the full information can be read by those interested. It is also relevant to this thread now. http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t18956p60-sdc2300-minelab-s-new-mid-range-detector

Just had a further read and JP continues to BAG the TDI that it ran to unstable in the same conditions so as the TDI was unstable it wasn't worth worrying about testing the SDC against the SPP. I can only laugh at that too as I can get the TDI pro to run on my kitchen bench under a fluro light while my wife cooks dinner without a problem air testing different little nuggets with great sensitivity.
JP hasn't as much experience on how to run a TDI that's all.
When minelab start selling there SDC for $2500 I'll have one.

Latest posts