Minelab SDC 2300 Metal Detector is Coming Soon in 2014!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When ML bring out their new super gold detector later on this year maybe early 2015, the price will make that 4k for the SDC look like chump change

dave14110 said:
Only One question the 4800 was built predominantly for other countries so will it handle the Aussie mineralized ground.

the 4800 was built for aussie conditions but because of problems with the 4500 and other delays (African rush) they come up with further improvements (5000) in the mean time and instead of scrapping the already built 4800 they released it aiming at the European relic market and the 5000 for the gold market.
that's the way it was explained to me when they were released.
so the 4800 was built and tested for aussie conditions and will work here great.
regards tm

Tige said:
Hi guys just seen price of sdc 2300 on detect a den $ 3999... now which way ? sdc or Garrett atx :( ahhh decisions decisions... another 8 or 9 hundred n u would get a gpx 4800 mmmmm
ATX would be my choice.
I went out with my ATX with 3 other blockes all with 4500's and they all were impressed with its performance.
Another thing to watch for is Garrett customer service or rather lack of it.I got my machine from Prospectors Patch and got it shipped to Melbourne.Did have glitches.
Mechanical side of ATX is another thing to watch for.A lot of minor issues.A lot.
Regards

Goldpick said:
$4000 grand is still a bit rich for a mid level machine, and with no choices in coils, can cross that one off the list. ATX looks like better value with the deepseeker package, although we really have to see how the ATX handles really hot goldfields ground, I suspect it may struggle at high sensitivity levels. The saving grace of the SDC2300 may be how it handles similar ground.
If there one thing good in ATX is it's performance.It will handle worst noisy grounds even in non motion mode.
Regards

Only One question the 4800 was built predominantly for other countries so will it handle the Aussie mineralized ground.
That is a question everyone need to answer for themselves.
I'm not surprised that's what you were told but I don't believe everything Minelab say or for that matter any other company whether it be Garrett, Minelab or whites or anyone else. After all they are trying to sell a product & if it wasn't made for Australia they would not tell us. I believe the 4800 is at present very good value for money. But then I don't believe there is anywhere near as much difference between any of the Minelab range from sd2000 all the way to the Gpx 5000. This is my opinion only I'll give an example. Every time a new model has come's out Minelab have advertised deeper by a percentage, more sensitive etc. If they were detecting deeper by the percentages suggested in Magazine adverts we would be digging holes 6ft -10ft deep.
Then there is what I believe to be the truth. They have a quality control guide maybe 75% to 100% or simular. If you got a 100% detector it was the best detector, but if you got a lesser machine then the next one you got was probable better. This is why we hear people say I wish I kept that a particular machine. My brother has a sd2100 that has more than proven it's capability even compared to much later models. so many have thrown flyxxxx down & he still gets it often as good or better than owner did.

Alex G said:
Tige said:
Hi guys just seen price of sdc 2300 on detect a den $ 3999... now which way ? sdc or Garrett atx :( ahhh decisions decisions... another 8 or 9 hundred n u would get a gpx 4800 mmmmm
ATX would be my choice.
I went out with my ATX with 3 other blockes all with 4500's and they all were impressed with its performance.
Another thing to watch for is Garrett customer service or rather lack of it.I got my machine from Prospectors Patch and got it shipped to Melbourne.Did have glitches.
Mechanical side of ATX is another thing to watch for.A lot of minor issues.A lot.
Regards

Next time you go out with these guys pls put a blind fold on so you don't see whats happening and get one experienced

4500 user to bury a very small bit of lead or gold lets say a .3 grammer to the deepest depth detectable by the 4500 that is

just audible and the 4500 can just hear the target and would make the 4500 user investigate. Make sure both machines use similar coils.

Now take your blindfold off and try to find the buried target and pls let me know the results.

I am interested in purchasing the ATX so would like to know how the ATX performs in this test.

Thanks

trashmagnet said:
dave14110 said:

the 4800 was built for aussie conditions but because of problems with the 4500 and other delays (African rush) they come up with further improvements (5000) in the mean time and instead of scrapping the already built 4800 they released it aiming at the European relic market and the 5000 for the gold market.
that's the way it was explained to me when they were released.
so the 4800 was built and tested for aussie conditions and will work here great.
regards tm
Absolutely the 4800 Was Build for Australian conditions, my understanding is that just before the release of the 4800 here in Australia Bruce Candy came up with some new threshold refinements and timings that made it worthwhile to release another model. The Australian Minelab resellers and distributors did not push the 4800 as it was old news and focused on the 5000 knowing too well that people want the latest and greatest.

dave14110 said:
That is a question everyone need to answer for themselves.
I'm not surprised that's what you were told but I don't believe everything Minelab say or for that matter any other company whether it be Garrett, Minelab or whites or anyone else. After all they are trying to sell a product & if it wasn't made for Australia they would not tell us. I believe the 4800 is at present very good value for money. But then I don't believe there is anywhere near as much difference between any of the Minelab range from sd2000 all the way to the Gpx 5000. This is my opinion only I'll give an example. Every time a new model has come's out Minelab have advertised deeper by a percentage, more sensitive etc. If they were detecting deeper by the percentages suggested in Magazine adverts we would be digging holes 6ft -10ft deep.
Then there is what I believe to be the truth. They have a quality control guide maybe 75% to 100% or simular. If you got a 100% detector it was the best detector, but if you got a lesser machine then the next one you got was probable better. This is why we hear people say I wish I kept that a particular machine. My brother has a sd2100 that has more than proven it's capability even compared to much later models. so many have thrown flyxxxx down & he still gets it often as good or better than owner did.

NO one will debate the fact that SD's wont find good gold if theres gold ot be had, the fact is they run alot more noise and because of that it is impossible to locate finer wavers in the threshold which will often be a very deep nugget. Minelab refined this along with additional settings with each model. Right up untill the GP3500 these were analogue then the 4000 went digital, with digital comes more refinement and additional Processing capacity. Analogue can only have so many timings where digital opens things right up. "SETA" Smart Electronic Timing Alignment is the feature that stands out here i suggest having a read http://www.minelab.com/aus/consumer/knowledge-base/minelab-technologies#SETA.

What people need to remember is blaming the detector doesn't get you anywhere, if your the kind of bloke who is juts happy waving away with an old proven machine that has very little options for refinement stick with the old sd series they work a treat. Once you get serious and as most will you've outgrown your sd and want more sensitivity in different soil/rock types you will then get the benefit out of these upgrade.

Sometimes I think people who say their old detector was better just haven't taken the time to learn how to use their new one. thats my two bob anyway.

Any word yet when SDC 2300 will actually be available?
Stupidly sold the wifes 5000 thinking this was getting launched at end of January.
Due to head off to the Goldfields in a couple of weeks!

I'll just keep my 2100 what happens when you possibly
step on coil or break shaft hmmm that would be cheap :lol:

I just read the annual report from Codan. It says they have 3 ground breaking new detectors coming out this year. I assume the SDC 2300 would be 1 but, has anyone heard or the other 2 and what they might be?

Here is a video of the new model SDC2300 from Minelab with the new MPF technology which is supposed to be better than PI technology at detecting small hold nuggets:

Looks like it will be a bit of a weapon on the goldfields. :D

trenchfighter said:
interesting to see this and the atx put head to head
Agreed, already we have good gold being found with the 2300, more than I have seen in 6 months of the ATX

Latest posts