Miller Table (in progress)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe

Reaction score
Started making gravity separation unit some call it miller table they operate on the principal of stratification and gravity settlement where the lighter materials are moved away from the heavier materials faster by the action of water flow.

First of all thank you JeffU for the spare granite (+ DIY plan) you had and kindly gave a new home. :)

Stage 1: The Bed
photo2mz.jpg

Stage 2: Stone looked so nice I almost didnt want to pain it (here is first coat Dulux chalkboard paint)
photo1gwr.jpg

Stage 3: While the first coat was drying "Bunnings" came to my mind for some aluminum angle glue and bench :/ someone is inspecting my work
photo3re.jpg

Stage 4: Pre-cut my angles (looks like the kitty slept on it last night, not sure if the second coat was quite dry hmm, will need more coats i think)
photo6bl.jpg

Instructions from plan
photo4jeq.jpg

--To be continued - Have not started making the water supply yet (but a fountain pump running of 240) is a possibility

Looking good mate. I'll be really interested to see it in action.
Perhaps a video while you're cleaning out next time.
I like the Bunnings steps yr using. :cool:
Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris me too :)
Im keeping the same principal but cant do exact design due to the fact that I dont have bending break and or guillotine. The header will be open the gate will have same angle.

Thanks Ian, my first one too so i'm documenting as i go to make it easier.

Hi there Skip :)Welcome -- size 1000 litres per hour for 870mm x 328mm stone

Hey Joe.
Looks like you closed off the whole thing.
Where does the water drain out from.??
U drilling holes at the bottom or chaneling to a drain in the corner ??

Hi Chris, not quite close i think 4 or 5 coats required, due to gloss finish of the stone. i have not glued anything as yet as i'm still working out what it will look like :)

for the water to drain out from :/ did my tip duties today and picked up this - may be used as feeder or "water drain out from" as you have asked - what do you recon?
photo7dx.jpg

Here is a better view Chris
photo8ms.jpg

photo9x.jpg

I do have a shorter bench to sit it all on, the pump i'm looking at with variable control and additional connector for the feeder 1500lph for $41

ok I can see it better now. That last shot showed the difference in the height of the ally angles clearer.
This way its alot simpler. Like we were discussing before. drain straight into the tub and then re-pan at the end of the cleanup just to see what tried to run away. As for the feeder.....im not sure. Still having problems with the feed/flow on mine. Cant say i got an alternative solution.
At the moment i've been trying out a step-down transformer to regulate the flow from the pump rather than adjusting the gate all the time.
I'll be keen to see what you come up with.... :)
I'm all out of cons......I feel another trip coming on......lol
Cheers
Chris

Have a look at fountain pump on fleabay 1500 Lph 240v - as you not going to be carrying the stone with you too heavy. It has two valve adjustments. Yes two tubs- the first will have a filter

Out of cons lol, I never use to keep them before what ever ended in my pan that was it. yes will have to catch up for a dig just watched gold rush and the fever is high again :)

Joe to make your water flow smoother you can use a piece of coreflute the stuff realestate signs are made of, cut so that it fits under the gate of your water holder and acts as a flow control straightening the water and helps stop bubbles coming down the table if it makes sence. the hollow coreflute needs to be siliconed in so its water tight and the only way the water can flow is out through the hollow part. hope it helpful.
Cheers
Skip

Thank you Skip :) yes will be testing got couple of signs in mind that can shorten. Also heard of scouring pads (the ones you use in kitchen to damper the water coming down) followed by underflow gate which this original design has at 83 degree angle.

:) :) :) Looking good Joe.
Just be wary with your water supply, doesn't take much of an over estimate to wash all the gold off the edge.
I have been running mine with a 840ltr/hr pump and my recovery is 99%.
Love the idea with the exit sign as a hopper box. Remember the water flow has to be extremely SMOOTH. 4-5mm gap between the stone and the gate will suit up to about 1000ltr/hr pump, any bigger and the exiting water will not be smooth. Angle of the table should be very low (about 2 degrees). Get it right and it will be the best fine gold recovery unit you will ever have.
Keep us informed with your progress.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, for all you have done for me including the advise :) I'm still at the early stage want to get the paint perfect before I glue my aluminium angles. Water supply will be independent or not fixed to the stone because of my engineering limitations (welding and bending aluminium) but keeping same principal as per your design. I will keep the progress going for others to learn from including test runs vid. Hooper box will have overflow back to secondary water tub as I'm afraid that if I don't get the correct number of holes right it may restrict my flow through the stone even if I have a valve control at the pump. The gate yes, I have Perspex in mind say 100mm in length 10mm in hight running 4-5mm above the stone parallel as you suggested that will be a gauge of my flow and creating the smooth environment, possible to hold cons and drip feed onto the stone at the same time.
Regards, joe :)

Angles have been glued and final coat applied

photo15vl.jpg

Now - the water supply adjustable at $23.00 including delivery ?

A334_12__001.jpg

Hey,

I love this build! I bring all my concentrates home and then pan for a week. Are you using a set design or plans? Could you provide a link if you have one pls.

Keep the updates comin'

Copper

Latest posts