Reedy Creek, Eldorado.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blisters said:
That's a great looking pan you have Doc, well done. Do you know the weight of your haul?
Jon

No mate, I haven't dried it of and weighed it yet.

But at a guess, between 2 - 3 grams, maybe.

docjohnson9 said:
Last weekend I went back up to Reedy Creek and almost to the same spot, only 15m downstream from the above report.

After being there for a day and a half and it pretty much constantly raining, here are my takings...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4229/1431820372_rps20150517_093354.jpg

Hey DJ,
A looking amount there from Reedy Creek.
Bluestreak and myself were there as well, just up creek from you. It was a wet weekend, we stayed overnight as well. Not sure how much Bluestreak to home but I managed to get some using the hand pump and the AM sluice.
Were you camped just down stream of the crossing?

Peter. :cool:

hey guys, still nooby to all this panning stuff, so sorry if this is a silly question haha:

you said there was a lot of Black sand in the heavies yeah? (which I know is generally normal and a good sign) this is essentially just fine iron sand right? could you just dry the whole lot and run a magnet over it instead of trying to pan off all of the black sand?

again forgive my ignorance if its a silly question :p

thanks in advance.

Dr4g.

docjohnson9 said:

I think that would be a very generous estimate for the flaky nature of Reedy Creek Gold ...

Dr4gul3 said:
hey guys, still nooby to all this panning stuff, so sorry if this is a silly question haha:

you said there was a lot of Black sand in the heavies yeah? (which I know is generally normal and a good sign) this is essentially just fine iron sand right? could you just dry the whole lot and run a magnet over it instead of trying to pan off all of the black sand?

again forgive my ignorance if its a silly question :p

thanks in advance.

Dr4g.

Several potential issues with that theory -

- a lot of the black sands are an ore of tin, or other non-metallic minerals, and therefore non-magnetic.

- very fine gold has a habit of being caught with the magnetic sands when "sucked up" by the magnet, and you can lose them.

The magnetic separation theory may have some merit, but that is highly dependent on what area you are prospecting.

You can reduce the black sands with a decent magnet with Eldorado concentrates but not completely. I use a food grade stainless coat bar magnetic from food processing factory only marginally less pull than rare earth. Got to be careful with a magnetic that powerful, get a part of your body between that and a bit of ferrous material and wait for pain. Still won't drag it all out.

pjg100 said:
docjohnson9 said:
Last weekend I went back up to Reedy Creek and almost to the same spot, only 15m downstream from the above report.

After being there for a day and a half and it pretty much constantly raining, here are my takings...

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4229/1431820372_rps20150517_093354.jpg

Hey DJ,
Bluestreak and myself were there as well, just up creek from you. It was a wet weekend, we stayed overnight as well. Not sure how much Bluestreak to home but I managed to get some using the hand pump and the AM sluice.

Yeah mate, that was me.

Were you one of the guys that came and say G'Day?

Can't remember the usernames. :p

Marked said:
docjohnson9 said:

I think that would be a very generous estimate for the flaky nature of Reedy Creek Gold ...

Yeah I dare say there definitely won't be 3 there, but I reckon it would be over 2.

docjohnson9 said:
pjg100 said:
docjohnson9 said:

Hey DJ,

Yeah mate, that was me.

Yep that was us. Bluestreak and PJG100.
Thinking about heading back there this coming Saturday.

Peter

pjg100 said:
docjohnson9 said:
pjg100 said:
docjohnson9 said:

Hey DJ,

Yeah mate, that was me.

Yep that was us. Bluestreak and PJG100.
Thinking about heading back there this coming Saturday.

Peter

Nice one mate.

I think it'll be a few weeks at least, before I get back up there again.

Will definitely have to venture further upstream next time though.

Marked said:
Several potential issues with that theory -

- a lot of the black sands are an ore of tin, or other non-metallic minerals, and therefore non-magnetic.

- very fine gold has a habit of being caught with the magnetic sands when "sucked up" by the magnet, and you can lose them.

The magnetic separation theory may have some merit, but that is highly dependent on what area you are prospecting.

Ah! that definitely clears that up for me - and explains why it would be so annoying, of course it wouldn't be as simple as running a magnet over it :p

Thanks!

Spent the day at Reedy Creek exploring and test panning. Saw some people panning but I'm wondering about sluicing and highbanking setups.

Seems like a lot of people setup Highbankers at the Chinese Gardens in the middle of the creek given the numbers of large holes.
Just working on the principle of shovelling large volumes without looking for old wash layers.

Is that the way to do Reedy Creek vs running a hose to diggings away from the creek and working an ancient wash layer?

The old timers must have been digging away from the creek in shafts and processing at the creek.

It's different strategies. What's being done today vs the old timers.

Anyone have a view on this?

Tathradj said:
Hint Mate,
Same as Yambulla.
:D

I know but people are doing it different at Reedy Creek.

Yambullas heaps better at this point. Tassie as well with red nice pay streaks easy to find close to the creek.

Hmmm,
Correct. Not all the gold is in the bottom of the creeks.
With a bit of an eagle eye, Better prospects can be found.

The key is probably working out where the shallower diggings are that were not dredged.

Diggerdude was probably close to it near the Woolshed when he dug down 1 1/2 metres in one of his videos.

More research then. Looks like a lot of tailings dumps around the creek just getting reworked for flour gold.

Did get some cornflake gold at least that was a change from Yambulla sugar. :p

Latest posts