Reedy Creek, Eldorado.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So yesterday (Saturday) I made my way down to Reedy Creek, Eldorado, in the hope of finding enough water to use my highbanker for the first time.

I had a couple of places in mind, one was not far from Woolshed Falls and the other was a km or two back down stream from the first area. Anyway, on my way to check out my original locations, I noticed a little pull off from the main road and thought I'd stop and have a look at the water situation.

My first thoughts were, this looks like a good little camping area (as my plans were to camp the night also) before I made my way around some trees and bushes so I could get down into the creek. Made my way down into what was a very dry creek, look up and there was a massive pool of water just beyond a ridge of boulders.

Happy with the amount of water and surrounding terrain, I went back to the car and grabbed my pan, then made my way down into the creek, pulled out a shovel of gravel from deep behind and under the boulders. I only panned a quarter of the shovel load and found 5 small specks of gold.

Sorted, I found my spot.

1427619987_rps20150329_190148.jpg

1427620035_rps20150329_191215.jpg

1427620087_rps20150329_191508.jpg

1427620130_rps20150329_190400.jpg

1427620228_rps20150329_190458.jpg

1427620290_rps20150329_190538.jpg

1427620332_rps20150329_190615.jpg

1427620382_rps20150329_190222.jpg

On the Saturday arvo once I arrived and got sorted, I got in about 2 hours of feeding the beast, which also included playing around with angles and water flow. The sun was going down, so I did a clean up and put all of the material from the highbanker into my spare esky, then went about setting up camp.

I didn't pan anything, but noticed a lot of black sand, which made me think on was on the right track while I settled down in front of the warm fire and a cold beer.

After not getting much sleep from being so cold and not having enough room in the back of my car, I was up before the sun came up. With two coffees and an egg and bacon sandwich finished, I was ready to do it all again.

I did a few more test pans in different areas which all produced gold, so I started shovelling. Everything seemed to be running fine, but because this was my first time out, I did another clean up after about 4 hours. This time I panned about half a platic scoop of black sand from the expanded mesh area and was very surprised with the amount of gold in the pan.

After removing the material from the highbanker to my spare esky, I started feeding the beast from another different area again. This time I only fed it for just over an hour as one of the locals came over for a chat and I had to pack up and start my 3 hour drive home.

All in all, I had an awesome time and could spend weeks on end down there. I was pretty satisfied with the highbanker, but will probably make a couple of modifications to it in time.

When I pan (hopefully sometime this week) all of the material I brought home, I'll post a photo of my takings.

One thing I did notice though, is there's a shit load of red and orange tiny little stones amongst the black sand and gold. I'll see if I can get of photo of some of the as well.

Also, just a quick question regarding the photo below. I noticed after I think it was the first session with the highbanker, that there was more black sand (or less white on top) on the left hand side than the rest of the expanded mesh.

Would this be due to the highbanker being on a slight lean to one side?

1427625443_rps20150329_212716.jpg

You certainly had the pick of spots mate. Just got back the water situation is pretty dire at the moment.

Maate,
That is what it is all about.
Love your photo's and experience.
It is all worth more than what you will find in your Banker mate but well done.
Just to stir the pot, Make sure you add the photo's on what you have found and to me the little red and blue stones do tell a story.
Just watch for the ones that look like a soft rain cloud.
Well Done... again...

docjohnson9 said:
Also, just a quick question regarding the photo below. I noticed after I think it was the first session with the highbanker, that there was more black sand (or less white on top) on the left hand side than the rest of the expanded mesh.

Would this be due to the highbanker being on a slight lean to one side?

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/4229/1427625443_rps20150329_212716.jpg
Yes it is but I could comment on the amount of water going through as well but you have a few little blue spots and red as well so I would not read to much into it, but even though the water is spilling evenly out the front of your banker, Have a casual glance on the expanded to see what it is doing before you get to seriouse.
Only takes a few shovel's to setup and then after that, Just have a casual glance to check that all is well.
Green with Envy...
Doug

Goldtarget said:
You certainly had the pick of spots mate. Just got back the water situation is pretty dire at the moment.

Yeah absolutely mate.

I was really hoping there was some water about so I could at least give the banker a whirl. The gold I did find (don't know exactly how much yet) was a bonus as I wasn't expecting it. Hoping a little, but not expecting.

Being able to set up camp so close to the creek and where I could set everything up was absolutely perfect.

Tathradj said:
Maate,
Just to stir the pot, Make sure you add the photo's on what you have found and to me the little red and blue stones do tell a story.
Well Done... again...

I'll definitely post some photos of my finds mate, gold and those little coloured stones.

In regards to the black sand being concentrated to one side, I was having a bit of trouble keeping the rear legs from sinking to start with. Didn't think it was having too much of an effect, but obviously was, cheers.

docjohnson9 said:
Tathradj said:
Maate,
Well Done... again...

I'll definitely post some photos of my finds mate, gold and those little coloured stones.

In regards to the black sand being concentrated to one side, I was having a bit of trouble keeping the rear legs from sinking to start with. Didn't think it was having too much of an effect, but obviously was, cheers.
I do have the same problem with the back legs on mine as well so i sink them hard before starting. Have been thinking about gluing some washers on them.
The back of the banker takes the weight of all that goes on and mine with small diameter pipe shows it.
Just another conundrum to deal with while you are wondering why you are there in the first place. :lol:

I did that to the front legs and made a platform from a few rocks to place under the rear legs. I only did that as it felt like I could have pushed the rear legs all the way into the ground.

Fantastic report mate!
I love heading out for a few nights camping to go prospecting or fishing.
A big campfire at the end of a long day with a few cans is always a great way to spend some time.
Looks exactly the kind of setup i have, and nothing wrong with sleeping in the car - i always do it that way!
I'll be heading upto Eldorado at some stage with my banker, ill be doing the exact same thing you just did!

Tathradj said:
Maate,
Well Done... again...

Hey mate, here's a photo of some of the tiny coloured stones amongst the black sand I was talking about.

1427699677_rps20150330_180529.jpg

Just want to know if I come across any larger ones, should I be keeping them?

I tell you what though, it's gonna take me months to pan all this material with all this black sand, coloured stones and the size of the gold.

Good practice though. :p

JeffP said:
Show me the GOLD :lol:

Patience my friend, I'll put up a photo of it once I'm finished. Haven't even done a full pan yet, the photo above was from half a scoop just to show the tiny coloured stones.

Great video mate. Hope you found plenty looked like a pretty nice spot. Possibly citrine in those little stones (that's what the locals were telling me) but I'm certainly no gem expert. I could write on an orange what I know about stones.

Goldtarget said:
Great video mate. Hope you found plenty looked like a pretty nice spot. Possibly citrine in those little stones (that's what the locals were telling me) but I'm certainly no gem expert. I could write on an orange what I know about stones.

Yeah I'm not too sure about the stones mate. I know more about gold than gems and I know very little about gold. :p

I've panned very little of the material so far, but it's littered with tiny pieces of gold, so that's given me confidence I had the banker running reasonably well.

As I said above, it's the first time I've been up there and absolutely loved it. I'll definitely have to head up there again soonish.

Nice work doc, one way to help stop the legs sinking is to find those plastic ends that fit into pipe or tube, last place I got them from was Clark Rubber, normally see them in the end of table's ect, ect, also, if you then have a bit of stability problems just tip some water into the top of the banker legs ;)
Cool vid mate, looking forward to some more :cool:

dwt said:
Nice work doc, one way to help stop the legs sinking is to find those plastic ends that fit into pipe or tube, last place I got them from was Clark Rubber, normally see them in the end of table's ect, ect, also, if you then have a bit of stability problems just tip some water into the top of the banker legs ;)
Cool vid mate, looking forward to some more :cool:

Yeah cheers mate, I'll have to suss them out and do some experimenting next time I take it out.

I'll make sure I keep the videos coming, not only to share my experience, but also hopefully the more experienced folk on here pull me up on something they may see me doing wrong and let me know.

Latest posts