Looking for a Hybrid detector; beach and land gold detecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am in the market for a detector that has both beach and gold detecting capability on the land as well. I live within 15 minutes of popular beaches but would like to go to say Clermont Qld to try my luck again. Been looking at the Minelab CTX 3030 which is great for beach detecting with its discrimination abilities but probably not that flash at gold detecting. The SDC 2300 seems to be waterproof and can do the beach detecting but without discrimination (tell me if I am wrong) but is good for land detecting gold that is a smaller size. I wonder what is the largest nugget it has found and how deep it signals.

Any thoughts on the matter?

SDC is probably your best bet if you want 1 machine to do both tasks. Just be aware there's no discrimination, so on some beaches it can drive you nuts. On flogged out beaches, you'll be glad to be digging something.

What sort of detecting will you mostly be doing Kidbeey? If you're mainly doing beaches and parks I'd get a CTX and then save for an SDC for the occasional gold trip, with finds from the CTX you could probably boost your savings quite a bit.

If you live near the goldfields and plan on gold detecting quite a bit then I'd get an SDC.

Heatho, I live closer to the beach and would do that more often. To go to a reasonable gold area I have to do quite a lot of kilometres. I think you are on track with your thoughts of a CTX first and then a SDC down the track. If the CTX did not have discrimination the SDC would be an obvious choice.

Gary

Hey Gary, yeah just sort of makes sense to have a good discriminating detector if you want to treasure hunt more than gold hunt. If you live in a reasonably busy area you should do very well with a CTX or similar detector. In 6 months to a year you could maybe buy an SDC or contribute a large chunk of the outlay with finds from a CTX if you do it regularly. I pretty much paid off my CTX over about 3 or 4 months of detecting.

Kidbeey, like Heatho said, and i'd go one further and suggest (while your amassing your CTX fortune) that you can still go Golding, but while $$ is low, you 'could' hire a rig for those odd occasions in the field until you get enough together to buy the SDC... :cool:

fft.... ;)

I own and have used a CTX for a number of years. I can say it is an awesome detector for relic and coins. When you beach detect you run it with NO DISCRIMINATION because you want to find all those rings. You do however use it when looking for coins in parks etc. I would recommend a CTX first. Great machine.

Latest posts